Menu
Expat.com

Expats health insurance

Last activity 07 September 2011 by seattle99

thailover

Hi Everyone,
I am planning to be Thailand starting Sept 15th, 2011. My long term goal is to retire in Thailand. Initially my trips will be one month long and then eventually i will get a retirement visa. I just turned 50.

I would appreciate any recommendations for a good health insurance for expats. I am healthy and no pre-existing conditions. I checked with my current Health Insurance in the States. They will not cover any emergencies outside of the U.S.

Thanks,
Shawn
San Diego

seattle99

For the last five-plus-years, I've been using an outfit called BUPA.

It pays 100% of my physician, hospital and meds. I've NEVER had a charge denied, or even questioned.

Unlike your current plan, it covers emergency treatment outside of Thailand.

~

COST: I know there are less expensive coverage available in Thailand, but I would doubt any are better.

note: I pay less here than my co-payment in the States.

http://www.bupa.co.th/bupa_cms/en/home.aspx

Julien

Hi,

you should contact our partner https://www.expat.com/en/insurance/asia … d/bangkok/

Straydog

I also use BUPA Thailand and have no complaints thus far but then again I haven't been sick.  Because I have not made any claims I get a 10 percent refund at end of each year. 

I think you have to be a full time resident to obtain BUPA health coverage but they do have a policy good for max of six months for visitors to Thailand.

Just google search for bupa Thailand for details.

Or you could get travel insurance that provides health coverage when traveling outside US. If you choose that option make sure you ask how long you can be outside US and be covered.  Some policies only cover for 30 day trips.

thailover

Thanks all for your suggestions. Bupa seems to have good recommendations. I have already contacted them. They were very quick in their response. I am going to follow up with them after the long weekend (Labor Day in the U.S).
Thanks again,
Shawn

thailover

Just wanted to share a positive experience with Bupa Insurance. Before, I could even call them, they called me right after the Labor Day holiday. Person who had emailed me earlier had called to follow up. After explaining the coverage, he transferred me to an underwriter.
I ended up purchasing the policy in quarterly increments right over the phone. Premium is under $500 for a 3 month period. I choose a hefty deductible of $1700 for any major incident, to keep my premium low.
So far, I am happy with the efficient and professional follow up I have experienced from Bupa.
Shawn

seattle99

That's terrific!

Articles to help you in your expat project in Bangkok

All of Bangkok's guide articles