Shipping miscellaneous items to the DR

I'm back in the US for a short visit and went a little crazy with my shopping.  I had a long shopping list to start with when I left the DR, but anyway...

I booked my flight First Class on American Airlines because I thought First Class could check in a 3rd suitcase for a small fee.  Nope.  It's $200 for the 3rd suitcase as of Feb 2024 (I didn't think it was $200 when I booked, but whatever).  FYI for anyone thinking of doing this same thing.

I have a shipping account with EPS, so I'm just going to ship stuff to myself in boxes.  No problem.  It'll cost less this way, I think. 

I know I have to include an inventory of the contents in the box. 

So here are my questions:

1. How detailed should this list be?  I mean, I have LOTS of little things in there.  Some big things, but also lots of little things.  Do I need to list each item and their individual value, or can I create a collective group for similar items?  Example, I have multiple 'household' type items.  Can I list 'Household accessories' with a dollar value for that group, then list each item individually as a line item but without the dollar value for each item? 
  2. Should new items be removed from their packaging so that they don't look new?  For example, I bought some beach towel clips, to hold your beach towel to your chair.  They're still on the cardboard card from the store.
  3. I know there's a $200 limit on items shipped.  If the value is over $200, then you pay taxes or something, right?  So, if I'm shipping multiple items in a box, would that $200 limit apply to the whole box, or just to an individual item?  Do I need to keep the total value of each box under $200? 
  4. Will Customs go through every item in the box to verify my inventory list against the contents?  I have some towels and clothes packed in those vacuum-sealed bags to take up less space.  If they open those, they'll never get them resealed and vacuumed.
  5. I know EPS charges extra for larger items, so I'm trying to use multiple small boxes.  Should I limit how many boxes I send in one go?  Would multiple boxes send up a flag to Customs or something?  I'm not shipping anything illegal, but I don't want to cause unnecessary trouble for myself there.  Right now, I have one medium box (18x18x16) and one small box (17x11x13) but thinking I might need another small box (still trying to cram as much as I can into a suitcase so we'll see).

Thanks for any advice and info, and I hope someone else can find this beneficial in the future.

If you are not in a hurry forget all the above and ship by ”mudanza” (do a search). Door to door in a big box or barrel, fixed price (around $100) and no weight limit.

@Papito NL It's an idea that I'll keep that in mind.  Thank you.  I already have boxes ready to go... I just need to create my packing list and juggle things around if necessary.  And I know shipping through the USPS and EPS will take less than 6 business days from drop-off to pick-up.  I just need to clarify some details on creating my packing list.

Each box must be under US 200.  Spread out multiple boxes, if they arrive together they can assess all at the same US 200!

Aduanas can go through each item in the box so be specific

With business or first class tickets on American, the weight limit on your checked bags is higher. You can pack each to 70 pounds. Can you add more to your existing checked bags?

@ddmcghee  I tried that, it didn't work.  Like I said, I went a little crazy with shopping.  1f644.svg  I think I have my strategy now, but lesson learned.  This was my first time back to the US after being in the DR for 1 year.  The next time won't be this bad.  1f604.svg  It's all good.

Are packages seeds ok to bring with you to the DR? Got to thinking about this as I was getting my garden ready to plant. It would be nice to grow some fresh veggies if possible.

I believe they are. I have purchased via Amazon and shipped in with no issues.