D7 VISA RENEWAL

I have D7 Visa issued last August 2023.  I am told that I  have to leave Portugal  back to home country to retain the residency.  Is that true.

Do you have a visa or a residence permit issued by SEF/AIMA in August 2023?

Told by whom and how were you told?

Sorry I have a D7 resident permit. I am informed that I should be out of Potugal to my country every six moths which I find absurd. Has anyone experienced this.

If you have a residence permit, you can stay for as long as you like during the period of validity of the residence permit. You are a tax resident in Portugal.

What you're saying here is absurd, it doesn't make any sense.

It is indeed confusing.  There are these two things:

• residence permit, título de residência, which would eventually be credentialed with a plastic wallet card.
  • D7 visa, a thing that is pasted into your passport.

If you have a D7 visa from last August, it's expired, so if you leave the country you will have some explaining to do when you come back.

If you were granted a two year residence permit, you must remain in the country a significant amount of the term of the permit - probably more than six months per year, I forget and am too lazy to look it up.  This is probably the absurd thing you thought you heard, just backwards - you must not be out of the country for more than six months per  year.

Just simply go down to the immigration office and ask the question. It certainly wasn't that way when I was there. If I ever had a question, I would walk into immigration and ask. Easy peasy.