Moving to Atenas from the US

We are thinking of moving to Atenas from the US.

Until we can buy a car are taxis readily available at a reasonable cost?

Thomas

Taxis / Ubers are readily available.  We find the costs reasonable.

Thank you very much

@lanierts

what would be a resonable monthy budget for me and my wife in Atenas?

@lanierts

The reasonable budget to live in Atenas depends on what you're accustomed to, what you're prepared to give up, and how you wish to live. The single largest expense in Atenas or anywhere else will be housing. You can probably find a very low-end house with a dirt floor for almost nothing; or you can hold out for air conditioning and a pool, but expect to pay much more.

Likewise, owning a vehicle will impose one cost while depending on Ubers and taxis will be less expensive but not as convenient.

What are you prepared to settle for? And how self-sufficient are you ready to be? Will you expect daily housekeeping? A gardener? A Costa Rican "guide/interpreter"? Daily pool service? They all cost . . .

All those things and more are available if you're ready and able to pay for them, but only you can decide.

Probably the best approach to answering your question is to come and shop. Spend an hour in the supermarket. Take a tour of a ferreteria (hardware and building supply store). Try to find a real estate agent who knows about housing for rent and for sale. Use the bus, taxis and Uber and see if that's how you wish to get around.

You should also consult with an attorney who is knowledgeable about legal residency (not all are). There will be one-time expenses there. And see if he or she can brief you on health care expenses. Enrollment in the CAJA (the national health care system) is mandatory for temporary legal residents. And it ain't cheap.

Hello everyone,

Welcome @Lanierts

Please note that this new thread has been created from your posts on the Costa Rica forum for better interaction.

All the best

Bhavna

@lanierts

Probably BEST to tell us what our budget will be (min. and max.) ...  and then you can get testimonials from people.  Atenas is a popular expat destination.. but not for backpackers looking for a thrifty Youth Hostel.  Because the town attracts foreigners... especially retirees... it's not known for being super reasonable.  But its safe and has good 'things'.   You can always live in the next town 'over' and still enjoy Atenas.

Some of the readers here will tell you what $2500 a month will 'deliver'.... and some for way more, and some for far less.  It depends on YOU and if you are going to rent or buy. That's the big money part... the rest will follow.

So much of it is all about how you wish to live; which is the truth for almost anywhere.   Some people come here and 'disappear' ... finding a small village or mountain town that nobody that 'visits' would ever know existed.  That kind of person doesn't need weekly get togethers with other expats; American style amenities; etc.   But most that come here will want, obviously, to live somewhat similarly to their former lives... but with tropical accents.  You won't get 'younger' here... so use your common sense.  You will need proximity to groceries, produce, bank, pharmacy, hospital?, hardware, public transportation?, etc.  Don't forget to think about the weather as well... which could put 'paved road' at or near the top of your 'needs' list; or elevation... because just 1000 feet higher can be the difference between using AC every day, or not having/needing it at all.   Lots to consider.

Good Luck

@rainagain

Thank you. It's been difficult trying to connect with people to get some answers to questions I have. I have connected with a realtor in Grecia who has been very helpful. We are thinking Grecia now because the elevation is higher and we like the cooler temperatures. With reference to the budget I would like to stay well within $5000 monthy. Initially want to rent a two bedroom two bath home. We like the idea of being out of the town a few miles in a farming community.

We will not have a car initially, so we will be relying on public transportation.

We've been about seven kilometers outside Grecia, on the side of Volcan Poas, at 4,200 feet above sea level for almost nineteen years. In that time, we've become first temporary residents, then permanent residents, and now naturalized citizens. We have solid relationships with doctors, attorneys, dentists, vets, bankers, and others. We shop in Grecia and also in Alajuela. If you would like to pose questions to us, please feel free to do so via private messages.

Your anticipated $5,000 monthly living allowance should keep you very comfortably in this area.

I think i sent you a private message. Please advise 

@lanierts

There you have it!!   putting a little 'detail'  (like budget) into your inquiry led you to 'daveandmarcia'... who, as per their post, already live there!  You probably couldn't have found better or more generous people to throw some 'experience' your way.   Good luck.