Menu
Expat.com

November for the first time

Last activity 21 June 2024 by danfinn

stebaines

Hi all,

I travel to the Philippines for the first time in November.  I'm in the country for a month and fly in to Manila. Could anyone suggest an itinerary for me? I want to see some of the country but don't want to be running about all the time.  So maybe 3 locations. It's a fact finding trip really. I'll be honest, If I could find some female company that would be great so any suggestions on that would be appreciated. But my main aim this time is to have a look for possible longer stay in the future. Thanks

Lotus Eater

@stebaines

If I could find some female company that would be great

What kind are you looking for?

bigpearl

@stebaines
If I could find some female company that would be great

What kind are you looking for?

-@Lotus Eater

This guy posted on another site I'm on and basically needs to get off his derriere and do a heap of research and not rely on others to powder his bum, If I'm going to Europe or the US/Sth America for a holiday I research and well....... never have I thought about a guide until I went up to the Taal volcano and had no choice as it was a donkey run, Oh I lie, went up to the rim of Mt Etna in Sicily that also required an expensive trip, I wonder the need for a female guide and what extra curricular activities might be required.

Guides with benefits can be found on dating sites and will cost.

OMO.

Cheers, Steve.

Enzyte Bob

stebaines asked . . . .     Hi all, Could anyone suggest an itinerary for me?  So maybe 3 locations.

I'll be honest, If I could find some female company that would be great so any suggestions on

that would be appreciated.

(1) Angeles City

(2) Angeles City

(3) Angeles City   

Gezzar

@stebaines Female company? What sort? Age? With or without family? May I suggest you do some research as your request is too nebulous.

Gezzar

@stebaines Let me mirror what you wrote and ask how you would answer my request

Hi all,

I travel to the US for the first time in November.  I'm in the country for a month and fly in to New York. Could anyone suggest an itinerary for me? I want to see some of the country but don't want to be running about all the time.  So maybe 3 locations. It's a fact finding trip really. I'll be honest, If I could find some female company that would be great so any suggestions on that would be appreciated. But my main aim this time is to have a look for possible longer stay in the future. Thanks

stebaines

@Gezzar

No idea I'm not from the USA. But if you know a coupleof places that are easy to get to from Manila, have an expat community and a beach. That would be good.

bigpearl

LMAO. Another difficult newcomer.

Cheers, Steve.

FindlayMacD

?

renegadesric529

@stebaines

there are plenty of sites to see in ph oh and 18,000,000 milion women to chose from

Lotus Eater

@stebaines

18 million gorgeous muchachos who will say ’ oh you’re so handsome’

eddieclmax

@stebaines

Maybe try batangas, and bahol, a lot of interesting places in bahol

Andy_1963

@stebaines Hi, there is the city center in Manila where you can find the ruins of the old spanish Fortress and the old city (Intramuros). Next to this is a big park called Rizal Park which is nice to walk. A little bit further is a big shopping mall (Robinsons Place) with hotels around. I like the Birch tower (condos) where you have a great view over Manila. You can book the hotels in Agoda. The Robinsons Place got a lot of shops and restaurants. There is also a Starbucks at the entrance where you can drink your coffee outdoors. Stay for an hour and see what happens.

If you have found what you are looking for and she is able to travel, you can fly to Boracay which has great beaches, nice hotels and restaurants. From Boracay airport you can fly to El Nido in Palawan. Make sure to book island tours there as the beauty of the Philippines lies in the landscape/islands and not in their cities.

From El Nido you have direct flights to Manila where you should stay at least a day before going home as the weather in November can be bad.

If you find a girl who joins you for your trip be aware that you have to pay the flights, the hotels and the food. In addition she might want a pocket money as she is probably a single mum and might have to feed her parents too. So 100 USD per day is a value you can plan.

If you want to have a girlfriend feeling this is what you can do. If this is not important than you can go to Angeles City by bus. There is a walking street with lot of night clubs and the girls will go with you in the hotels there. Expect 40 to 50 USD for the fun.

Good luck and all the best

Andy from Boracay

Lotus Eater

@stebaines
Maybe try batangas, and bahol, a lot of interesting places in bahol

-@eddieclmax

I must have missed the sign. I ended up in Bohol last November.

FindlayMacD

My rule with regard to Manila is simple, fly in, then fly out as soon as possible and with the exception of Cebu, which is now almost as crowded a polluted as Manila, there are 1,000's of wonderful destinations to choose from.

stebaines

@bigpearl

You say on one thread on another site that you avoid expats but you spend a lot of time on expat forums being unhelpful. I suspect it's other expats who avoid you.

bigpearl

@bigpearl
You say on one thread on another site that you avoid expats but you spend a lot of time on expat forums being unhelpful. I suspect it's other expats who avoid you.

-@stebaines

Why don't you spit out your grievance on that site and get your priorities in order instead of cryptic msg's on that site, spit your venom here? You will fare well in the Philippines. Doubt it.

OMO.

Cheers, Steve

Cherryann01

@Andy_1963

I spent 5 wonderful days in Boracay recently with a lovely lady and had a great time. Lovely resort hotel, nice beach, great trip island hopping and snorkelling and good food. I envy you living there.

Enzyte Bob

Cherryann01 said. . . . I spent 5 wonderful days in Boracay recently with a lovely lady and had a great time. Lovely resort hotel, nice beach, great trip island hopping and snorkelling and good food. I envy you living there.

Interesting timely post, did you meet your lady on Grinder? You being English did you return home with your Banger intact?

Enzyte Bob

stebaines said to bigpearl  You say on one thread on another site that you avoid expats but you spend a lot of time on expat forums being unhelpful. I suspect it's other expats who avoid you.

stebaines what have you contributed?

Nothing

bigpearl

As you well know Bob, "some mothers do have em" They pop up from time to time as we are all aware.

Cheers, Steve.

stebaines

@Enzyte Bob

Hi Big Pearl. Multi log ins are so transparent. Get a life old pal.

Cherryann01

Cherryann01 said. . . . I spent 5 wonderful days in Boracay recently with a lovely lady and had a great time. Lovely resort hotel, nice beach, great trip island hopping and snorkelling and good food. I envy you living there.
Interesting timely post, did you meet your lady on Grinder? You being English did you return home with your Banger intact?   

-@Enzyte Bob

NO Bob, I did not meet her on Grinder and my Banger is doing just fine. I actually spent 23 days in total with her.

bigpearl

@Enzyte Bob
Hi Big Pearl. Multi log ins are so transparent. Get a life old pal.

-@stebaines

Multi logins? Not sure where that came from and as for getting a life? Look in the mirror, you can't organize a little holiday.

I have visited over 40 countries around the world and organized them all without expat sites, I researched.

Cheers, Steve.

danfinn

@stebainesI travel to the Philippines for the first time in November.  I'm in the country for a month and fly in to Manila. Could anyone suggest an itinerary for me? I want to see some of the country but don't want to be running about all the time.  So maybe 3 locations. It's a fact finding trip really. I'll be honest, If I could find some female company that would be great so any suggestions on that would be appreciated. But my main aim this time is to have a look for possible longer stay in the future. Thanks

BING AI sez

Generating answer using selected text

Welcome to the Philippines! For a month-long stay with a focus on exploring without rushing, here’s a suggested itinerary that covers diverse experiences:

Manila (2-3 Days)

Start your journey in Manila, the bustling capital. Here you can visit historical sites like Intramuros, enjoy the vibrant nightlife, and explore large malls and museums1.

Palawan (El Nido and Coron) (10-12 Days)

Next, head to Palawan, known for its stunning beaches and clear waters. Spend 5-7 days in El Nido for island hopping and snorkeling, then 4-5 days in Coron for its famous shipwreck dives and hot springs2.

Cebu and Bohol (10-12 Days)

Fly to Cebu City and spend 3-4 days there, where you can experience the city life and nearby natural attractions. Then take a ferry to Bohol for another 3-4 days to see the Chocolate Hills and tarsiers2.

Travel Tips:

Travel Insurance: It’s advisable to have travel insurance for unexpected events2.

Stay Connected: Consider getting a local SIM card for better connectivity.

Respectful Interaction: While seeking companionship, it’s important to interact with locals respectfully and be aware of cultural norms.

Longer Stay: If you’re considering a longer stay, explore different types of visas and accommodations that cater to long-term visitors34.

Enjoy your trip, and I hope you find the beauty and warmth of the Philippines inviting for a future extended stay! Safe travels! 😊

Kampkos104

@danfinn

What,  no Mindanao visits?

flyrite777

Boracay use to be great.  Now the Chinese investments and government  rules have ruined it.  Back in 95 it was a great place but today too many people and too commercial.  Beaches and water though are still great.  Spent several days at Fridays and had a great time.  Never went any place else.  Beach is fantastic and the food is great and the workers there are the greatest.   

danfinn

@danfinn
What,  no Mindanao visits?

-@Kampkos104

Just a guess, perhaps the AI picked up on the US State Dept. Warning on travel to Mindanao.

Kampkos104

@danfinnWhat,  no Mindanao visits?        -@Kampkos104

Just a guess, perhaps the AI picked up on the US State Dept. Warning on travel to Mindanao.

-@danfinn

I believe that the warning is somewhat dated, but travel anywhere, specially U.S. can be dangerous.  I live in a very rural area in Mindanao,

and have become an accepted part of the community. The terrorist that attacked Marawi years ago, didn't target or harm any foreigners. Articles I read warned foreigners of big city crime. I don't mean to diminish the possibility of danger, but as I stated, travel anywhere can have potential harm.

Regards Keith

danfinn

@danfinnWhat,  no Mindanao visits?        -@Kampkos104Just a guess, perhaps the AI picked up on the US State Dept. Warning on travel to Mindanao.        -@danfinnI believe that the warning is somewhat dated, but travel anywhere, specially U.S. can be dangerous.  I live in a very rural area in Mindanao, and have become an accepted part of the community. The terrorist that attacked MarawKust i years ago, didn't target or harm any foreigners. Articles I read warned foreigners of big city crime. I don't mean to diminish the possibility of danger, but as I stated, travel anywhere can have potential harm. Regards Keith        -@Kampkos104

@Kampkos, to be clear I did not mean to infer any problems traveling to Mindanao, I was only suggesting that one possible reason the Bing AI language model did not suggest Mindanao was the online existence of the US state department warnings. You might register any complaints with Micrisoft.

Whether you personally believe US travel is dangerous is not relevant here but if it is true, I sure wish it were more highly publicized given the millions of  illegal gate crashers on our Southern Border who apparentky are unaware of the dangers that await them and lines at US embassies worldwide with US visa seekers are often several blocks long. Guess they ain"t sceered as they should be.

Kampkos104

@

Whether you personally believe US travel is dangerous is not relevant here but if it is true, I sure wish it were more highly publicized given the millions of  illegal gate crashers on our Southern Border who apparentky are unaware of the dangers that await them and lines at US embassies worldwide with US visa seekers are often several blocks long. Guess they ain"t sceered as they should be.

Travel elsewhere as compared to travel in the Phillipines is very relevant, It's called perspective.  There needs to be a base for comparison.

Now for the "gate crashers". Most robberies or abductions are based on the possibility of financial gain. The immigrants that are crossing the southern US border, have little to nothing to lose.  Therfore not a main target for for robberies or abduction for ransom. As long as business owners offer them jobs, they'll keep coming.  America won't go after the cause of the problem, because it would cripple the food industry.  If you wish to discuss problems of the US,  message me.  I'm sure we have a lot to talk about, but I completely understand that there would be no chance of reversal of ideology.

Regards Keith

Enzyte Bob

Kampkos104 said. . . . Now for the "gate crashers". Most robberies or abductions are based on the possibility of financial gain. The immigrants that are crossing the southern US border, have little to nothing to lose. 

I lived in a town with those so called Gate Crashers (illegals) and this was before the current administration. There were many robberies among these illegals, which went unreported by them because of their illegal status.

They were easy targets because their life savings was in their pocket.  Their employment was cash under the table and they were shut out of the banking system.   

They had a lot to lose, rob or be robbed.

Kampkos104

Kampkos104 said. . . . Now for the "gate crashers". Most robberies or abductions are based on the possibility of financial gain. The immigrants that are crossing the southern US border, have little to nothing to lose. 
I lived in a town with those so called Gate Crashers (illegals) and this was before the current administration. There were many robberies among these illegals, which went unreported by them because of their illegal status.
They were easy targets because their life savings was in their pocket.  Their employment was cash under the table and they were shut out of the banking system.   

They had a lot to lose, rob or be robbed.

-@Enzyte Bob

I am guilty of employing "illegals " in the early 80's. Spent a majority of my in life in So.Cal. Though times have changed, the majority of those currently coming to America have already been fleeced by cartels and coyotes. I'm sure that there is a large number of those, are targeted by those either in, or has been in their situation.  But in reference to the original topic of coming to the Phillipines for the first time, being targeted by locals on foreigners, not foreigners robbing foreigners.

Regards Keith

Kampkos104

@danfinn

I would like to add, where they are fleeting to may be dangerous, but pales in comparison in where they are fleeting from.

Regards Keith

stebaines

@bigpearl

Unhappy man Alert!

bigpearl

@Kampkos104

While I have never been to Mindanao I have heard mostly good things and any bad can happen in all parts of the world. I was going to visit some 14/15 years ago as I was dating a prospective online from Zamboanga, a nurse working in the hospital, wanted me to meet and spend time with the family in Sulu Sulu but was warned that I needed to wear a head scarf and cover my face until I got to the family home and once there would not be allowed out to explore, locked up in the house as they didn't want me seen by the locals etc. etc. That was a very short lived part of my life. I have chatted to many expats that live very happily there but mostly to the north and east.

Agree with what you say  about the travel warnings issued by the US as they basically tar the whole island with the same brush instead of regional warnings, sad but true.

And to the OP I stand by my comment "that some mothers do have em"

Cheers, Steve.

danfinn

@danfinn
I would like to add, where they are fleeting to may be dangerous, but pales in comparison in where they are fleeting from.

Regards Keith

-@Kampkos104

Everywhere I lived in the USA there were illegal immigrants who stole jobs from citizens and if your built a house there you couldn't help but hire them at least indirectly. I will say 100% that those destinations that they ended up in, after sneaking in, were not dangerous at all. Right, there would have been no comparison to the SH countries they came from and are subject to be deported back to (in a law-respecting society). I wiil say that, conversly, the immigration status of

US expats in Mexico is strictly controlled and if an American sneaks in, he ends up in a Mexican prison. But I digress.

Kampkos104

@danfinnI would like to add, where they are fleeting to may be dangerous, but pales in comparison in where they are fleeting from. Regards Keith         -@Kampkos104Everywhere I lived in the USA there were illegal immigrants who stole jobs from citizens and if your built a house there you couldn't help but hire them at least indirectly. I will say 100% that those destinations that they ended up in, after sneaking in, were not dangerous at all. Right, there would have been no comparison to the SH countries they came from and are subject to be deported back to (in a law-respecting society). I wiil say that, conversly, the immigration status of US expats in Mexico is strictly controlled and if an American sneaks in, he ends up in a Mexican prison. But I digress.         -@danfinn

(In a law respecting society.) First of all, I'm not looking for a fight, but there are times i would like to highlight history.

Almost all of the southwest belonged to Mexico until we took it from them.  When (mainly european) immigrated to the America's,  it was standard practice to slaughter buffalo, deer,  elk and anything else the original natives needed to survive.  I am an American veteran and proud of my country and service.  But I'm not naive about our history, or what law respecting really means.

Stealing jobs? I have never heard 1 person (ever) say, "That immigrant at $7 an hour, without benifits, in 110° heat picking vegtables, is stealing my job!" Just a guess, but if any administration wanted to really deport ALL the immigrants, over 50% of the food would rot in the fields and the economy would absolutly crash. Please think of cause and effect. We were immigrants when our ancestors invaded America.

Regards Keith

Enzyte Bob

Kampkos104 said . . . . . Stealing jobs?

I have never heard 1 person (ever) say, "That immigrant at $7 an hour, without benifits, in 110° heat picking vegtables, is stealing my job!"

I lived in Las Vegas and at one point Vegas was the fastest growing city for 10 years in a row. At the time I lived there over 400,000 homes were built employing thousands of illegals.

American tradesmen for the most part were left out of these construction jobs. One reason was the foremen who did the hiring were Hispanic and the builders wanted cheap labor not union tradesmen.

danfinn

@Kampkos104 told us:

(In a law respecting society.) First of all, I'm not looking for a fight, but there are times i would like to highlight history.

It is always useful to highlight history that is relevant to the topic at hand.

Almost all of the southwest belonged to Mexico until we took it from them. 

Hmmm. Correct me if I am wrong but Mexico was a colony of Spain, was it not, so "Americans" would have taken it from Spain, who took it from some Indians who took it from other Indians, a pattern repeating to prior to Clovis man and starting somewhere at the migration across the land bridge over what is now the Bering Strait.

When (mainly european) immigrated to the America's,  it was standard practice to slaughter buffalo, deer,  elk and anything else the original natives needed to survive.

Partly true. When Europe conquered lands occupied by whichever tribe happened to take the most scalps, Europeans and Americans did slaughter Buffalo, almost eliminating the species. That was when standards of conduct were as they were in the 18th and 19th century and people also had no idea or didn't care of they shot every last buffalo. It would have been an honor to be the one who did that. That's the way they thought. Now in this era, you find yourself on a hopeless mission trying to apply the standards of the 21st century to earlier times up to and through the 19th century. I know it makes you feel good to criticize those uncouth white men of the time but perhaps hundreds of years from now in the 26th century, you may find yourself unfairly judged for your behavior of today. Perhaps everybody at that time will be on a cockroach and earthworm diet and here you are today, eating chicken and vegetables with no concern for the environment and climate change, how uncouth.

But you also mention deer and elk. Well, believe it or not, the populations of some of those animals are greater today than when the colonists first arrived, particularly deer.  Furthermore, there were not enough colonists in the American population to severely reduce the animal populations to impact the Indians at that time. What did impact them was the slaughter of buffalo and I guess the passenger pigeon (not sure if the pigeons were of much interest to Indians however).

I am an American veteran and proud of my country and service.  But I'm not naive about our history, or what law respecting really means.

There are a lot of veterans in my family too but all of them respected the Stars and Stripes, the Constitution, the Founders and they respect America as it was when declared Independent and founded as it exists today (hope that doesn't offend anyone), especially my father who was in the Navy in WWII and a sister in the army in Vietnam. There are many others including an uncle in the  Korean war. Without exception they were proud of America without the addition of woke virtue signaling. And you say "law". What "laws" are you talking about? You are actually saying that the country is unlawfully constituted, something I completely disagree with you on?  I don't want to get into a fight either. However, that one about America's land being illegitimate is a biggie, I would think for a veteran, but it defines your entire comment.

Stealing jobs? I have never heard 1 person (ever) say, "That immigrant at $7 an hour, without benifits, in 110° heat picking vegtables, is stealing my job!"

Oh really? Just go anywhere down South where there are right to work laws and where building codes are lax with regards to tradesman qualifications. Master electricians and master plumbers etc. love to hire illegals under their license for $7 an hour, maybe less, taking the place of $150/hr journeymen in the trades. Well, it does keep the price of new houses a bit lower, but it is unfair. In most Northern States that is not legal but there sure is a lot of building going on in places with lots of illegals like North Carolina. Also, I see nothing wrong with paying US citizens a fair wage to pick crops like they used to. Nothing wrong with that at all. The problem with hiring Americans is, employers have to contribute 7.5% to social security, abide by labor laws, contribute to state unemployment funds and more when it is so much cheaper to pay illegals in cash, under the table.

Just a guess, but if any administration wanted to really deport ALL the immigrants, over 50% of the food would rot in the fields and the economy would absolutly crash.

So says you. Easy enough to make them legal guest workers but then Employers would have to pay real wages as required by government and Americans might be more incented to work on those jobs.

Please think of cause and effect. We were immigrants when our ancestors invaded America.

Millions of people cannot *help* but think of cause and effect concerning illegal immigrants although legal immigration is actually a good thing. As to your woke virtue signal of ancestors invading America, well we used to say about things we cannot control, "that's life in the big city" but here that might become "that's life on the big planet". Conquest is and will continue to be a fact of life on the Earth; remember, people who conquer cannot really take "ownership" of land; nobody can own it, all they can do is temporarily control it and for the little people, pay taxes on it but it is not a possession. When the Sioux took over the badlands in South Dakota from the Chippewa, neither tribe actually owned the land, they just had use of the land. And had Custer been able to seize it from the Sioux the white man would have only temporarily controlled it as well. Such as life, such is the nature of man and you are not going to change that for a long time, if ever.

Articles to help you in your expat project in the Philippines

All of the Philippines's guide articles