Menu
Expat.com

Revolut & Wise

Last activity 21 June 2024 by Phil76

Phil76

I have a Revolut and a Wise accounts. Both opened with a French postal address and a French mobile number.

Can I safely change the phone number to my Mauritian number? Or is there a risk that Revolut and Wise might close my account as I live outside France?

traciwoodley

Can I keep my Revolut account if I move to another country?

If you're moving out of the country, you'll need to close your Revolut account in order to open a new one in a supported country.

What country is Revolut based in?

London, England, UK

Revolut

Company type    Private

Headquarters    London, England, UK

Area served    UK, EEA, Switzerland, Australia, NZ, Japan, Singapore, US, Brazil

I googled this.  Best to keep your French number topped up for OTP's and get a mauritiaan number as well with a dual sim mobile phone.  This is what I did when we were in South Africa for an extended period of time. I kept my UK number topped up with my mobile provider for OTP's/texts.

Phil76

@traciwoodley

Thanks Traci.

I currently have a French legacy B&You SIM that I can keep alive by just making one call a year which is very cheap. However, these legacy B&You SIMs will discontinued next year and I will need to find another cheap alternative.

Another headache is that they are asking for my French TAN (Tax account number). I left France over 30 years ago, never paid tax there and therefore don't have a TAN.

traciwoodley

@Phil76 Hi.  I use Giff Gaff for my UK number,  You may need to use an alternative for your sim card provider (in your current country) so that you can get OTP's for Banking purposes.  Obviously notify Revolut of your new number.

With Giff Gaff I top up my card every 3 months with £6 and that keeps me going for OTP's while travelling with Revolut card.  When I was in South Africa for a coupe of months, I purchased something small in the UK for delivery to a friend in UK, just so they do not pick up you are living outside of any of the areas they are active in.  I also used a VPN so it could not pick up I was in SA.

The problem will only come when your card expires as they may not deliver it to Mauritius for you.  They would not deliver it to South Africa for me when I asked.  You can get a new card delivered while you still currently in your Country that will give you a longer expiry date.  Just say the card is damaged or lost and they will send you a new card with a longer expiry date. Note they will cancel your existing card immediately.  I did this prior to leaving for South Africa from the UK as I knew they would not deliver to SA.

You will need to open a bank account in Mauritius (if you are intending staying for a long time in Mauritius) where you can easily transfer money from Revolut to the Mauritian Bank.

I hope this is not all .confusing.  But I had to make a plan to continue using my Revolut card in SA as I was out of UK for 8 months and my bulk money is with Revolut.  I am now back in UK.

Phil76

It's not confusing at all. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Cheapest SIM alternative I could find so far is €[link under review] so not too bad. actually a bit cheaper than the £6/quarter you are paying wink.png

I am in Mauritius since the early 1990s and have been using Revolut since 2019. Never bothered about VPN and never made a single purchase in France with my Revolut card. Never had an issue so far.

Still a bit worried about increasing scrutiny and tighter regulation which could mean trouble at some point in the future

traciwoodley

@Phil76  Oh wow.  You have been there a long time.  Did Revolut send a new card to you in Mauritius without asking questions?

Phil76

@traciwoodley

Had it shipped to an address in France. I have relatives there.

Articles to help you in your expat project in Mauritius

• Banking services in Mauritius
    Banking services in Mauritius

Opening a bank account in Mauritius can help you in many ways, including receiving your salary, paying your ...

• Driver's licence in Mauritius
    Driver's licence in Mauritius

Mauritius has a well-developed public transport network, although the frequency and working hours might not work ...

• Emergency numbers in Mauritius
    Emergency numbers in Mauritius

The list below contains emergency numbers in Mauritius, should you be in need for assistance at any ...

• The health system in Mauritius
    The health system in Mauritius

Health is a major issue when moving abroad. Are expats eligible for the Mauritian health system? What are the ...

• Recommended doctors in Mauritius
    Recommended doctors in Mauritius

You might be needing medical assistance during your stay in Mauritius. Expat.com provides you with a list of ...

• Study in Mauritius
    Study in Mauritius

Mauritius is becoming a higher education hub for the region as it offers a great deal of options. Most Mauritian ...

• Buying a property in Mauritius
    Buying a property in Mauritius

The Economic Development Board reminds us that any non-citizen, whether an individual or an investor, is allowed ...

• Education in Mauritius
    Education in Mauritius

The Mauritian school system is based on the Anglo-Saxon model and is divided, as is often the case elsewhere, into ...

All of Mauritius's guide articles