Menu
Expat.com

Schengen travels while waiting for Permesso di Soggiorno

Last activity 20 August 2024 by sprez76

LEOGOLOVIN

Hello,

I am wondering if travel from Italy to Schengen zone (and back :-)) is permitted while waiting for your first Permesso di Soggiorno.  I am US sitizen, probably can be in Schengen zone up to 90 days, however, I am not sure how the Italian law works in this particular case.

Thank you for taking the time to respond

SimCityAT

@LEOGOLOVIN

Yes you are allowed to travel.

LEOGOLOVIN

@SimCityAT

Thank you for your prompt response.

Much appreciated

johnnyJailface

carry the reciept from your application. It's also unlikely that anyone will look at your passport within the EU

LEOGOLOVIN

@johnnyJailface

Thank you for your reply.

I am more worried about coming back to Italy. My thinking was that while you waiting for permit you are not allowed  to travel anywhere, except your home country, US (in my case). And only use airline with direct flights to US.  I could not find exactly how it formulated in the Italian immigration law nevertheless

LEOGOLOVIN

I've found one site with some explanation:

[link under review]

"...After submitting your permesso di soggiorno request, there's typically a waiting period before you receive your official permit. During this time, you may wonder about your travel options with your Permesso receipt in hand.

Upon submitting your request through the postal kit, post offices will issue a receipt containing your personal details and the submission date. However, it's important to clarify that possessing this receipt doesn't grant unrestricted travel privileges. While it permits travel to your home country, it doesn't authorize stopovers in other Schengen countries. This is because the receipt isn't recognized as a valid travel document outside Italy".

But what if you still have a valid passport from US?

SimCityAT

@LEOGOLOVIN

If you still have your USA passport and not used your 90 days up, then you are free to travel.

How long have you been in Italy?

LEOGOLOVIN

@SimCityAT

Curently I am still in US.  Just truing to understand how the system works.  From the other people experience

the waiting time for Permesso di Soggiorno, could be up to 7+ months, after arriving to Italy. In this case

after being in Italy for 3 months, your passport is not valid for any Schengen zone travels.   

It seems this is the case for US passport holders.  And this case I am trying to clarify.   

Sebastian321

@LEOGOLOVIN Same question

sprez76

@LEOGOLOVIN

you have it nailed down. we live in Florence. Arrived 1/24. Our appointment is for July, 2025!!

We are thinking about travel to UK and CH.

Articles to help you in your expat project in Italy

• Long-term visas for Italy
    Long-term visas for Italy

If you have decided to move to Italy, the question of a residence permit arises first. Depending on your ...

• Residence permits in Italy
    Residence permits in Italy

If you have decided to settle in Italy, you may need to apply for a visa, especially if you come from a country ...

• Visa for Italy
    Visa for Italy

Foreign citizens can enter Italian territory for different reasons like: tourism, study, family reunification and ...

• Short-term visa for Italy
    Short-term visa for Italy

If you have decided to stay in Italy for 90 days or less, depending on your nationality, your current country of ...

• Childcare in Italy
    Childcare in Italy

If you have decided to move to Italy with young children, you have probably chosen the best destination to go to. ...

• The Milan neighbourhood guide
    The Milan neighbourhood guide

Greater Milan, as the Milanese call it, is, without doubt, the most important center in Italy today. It is the ...

• Connecting to the internet and using phones in Italy
    Connecting to the internet and using phones in Italy

Now that you live in Italy, you probably need to stay in touch with your family, friends and the world around you. ...

• Buying property in Rome
    Buying property in Rome

Rome has a complex real estate market, as is the case throughout Italy, and it is not always easy to find a ...

All of Italy's guide articles