Menu
Expat.com

Renting out or in

Last activity 01 July 2024 by d4zt7bsj

cdw057

I am happy to see that the government (finally) is clamping down on renting (short term or even longer). Rules changes frequently, but I do not like tax evasion.

People who rent out have to pay taxes (fine for me), we live here and I do not like all these guests.

Just go to a hotel (ideally bread and breakfast (also to spend something in restaurants and otherwise)

What is this with people to go semi-illegally.

Yes I saw Greece is cheaper than Turkey, but Turkey is better.

Please avoid BNB, private renting alike (in the shady world thing can also be tricky).

Last mention, Turkey (and especially where I live) is great.

d4zt7bsj

It is the Turkish people who are being penalized as they buy property and collect rent for short-term rentals, ranging from a few days to a few months. Usually, after 6 months, they arrange 6-month contracts and only pay tax on that as it is processed through the notary typically.

Property owners who own homes are also affected, as they are collecting large sums, such as £100 a night and, in some cases, up to £1000 GBP a week in most tourist areas. This is a huge revenue loss for the government in taxes. Additionally, illegals are renting from these property owners who do not report them, or have formal contracts, which is mainly the issue throughout Turkiye.

It's a good step forward by the GOV administration. Turkish want better schools, roads, etc, but they fail to acknowledge to pay their taxes on income earned. The longer this goes on, the worse it will become.

Articles to help you in your expat project in Türkiye

• Marriage in Türkiye
    Marriage in Türkiye

Türkiye, with its stunning landscapes and rich cultural heritage, has become a sought-after wedding ...

• Phones and Internet in Türkiye
    Phones and Internet in Türkiye

When you move to Türkiye, setting up your own phone and internet is a smart move to make right off the bat. ...

• Retire in Türkiye
    Retire in Türkiye

Türkiye, a perfect blend of history, culture, and breathtaking landscapes, is viewed by many as an ideal ...

• Having a baby in Türkiye
    Having a baby in Türkiye

The journey of parenthood is an exhilarating adventure filled with joy, anticipation, and a fair share of ...

• Moving with your pet to Türkiye
    Moving with your pet to Türkiye

Pets, and cats in particular, are fondly loved by most Turkish people, who prove incredibly caring to street ...

• Childcare in Türkiye
    Childcare in Türkiye

Türkiye is a great place for kids, thanks to its incredibly child-friendly culture. Everywhere you turn, ...

• Relocating to Türkiye
    Relocating to Türkiye

Bringing along their cherished possessions helps many expats make themselves at home in their new country. ...

• Accommodation in Istanbul
    Accommodation in Istanbul

The largest city in Türkiye, Istanbul is one of the most popular travel destinations for foreigners. There is ...

All of Türkiye's guide articles