How easy is it to sell a piso in Spain?

I am preparing to move near Girona (north of Barcelona) and am not finding many rental units I like in decent neighborhoods. I see many flats for sale.

Since I don't plan to live there more than four or five years, I am wondering if it will be hard to sell a unit if I buy it.

The bottom line is that I'd rather purchase a flat for 200k than pay 1.200/month for the next 4-5 years. It would give me the freedom to do what I want with the place, making it more comfortable and suitable for me.

However, if it is difficult to sell then I will reconsider.

I'd appreciate hearing other people's perspective and/or experience.

@tomwins

To be honest I don't know what the future has installed for anyone. If it's a nice area, I wouldn't see a problem selling it, but who knows. Its a gamble one has to take.

@tomwins

As @SimCityAT says, we don't have a crystal ball for your (or our) future. :-) And it depends a lot on how wisely you buy, and what happens to the economy/property market over the next few years. It also depends on how well off you are. Do you have plenty of spare cash sitting around to buy? Or do you have to factor in the aggravation of getting a mortgage (and the cost of servicing it)? It also depends on the "friction" of owning property in Spain (the transaction costs when you buy or sell).

I have a few quid in savings, and I don't like the aggravation of dealing with landlords, and subjecting myself to viewings and interviews. But for a few months, renting is clearly preferable. For several years (especially 5 ish), I'd have a hard time believing that it wasn't in my best interest to own. Our time horizon was only 2 years (for citizenship for my partner), but we still went ahead and purchased something. But I'm a cheapskate and bottom feeder, so I grabbed something off Ebay for 25k, and I didn't much care what happened as I'd have spent easily over 10k on rent. We still have it 6 years later, so that rent bill would been over 40k.

Intriguing, you purchased apartment in Spain for 25,000euros on eBay Mr GWYNJ?

@tomwins

ive got 3 properties in Spain and i say BUY,  buy,  buy!  you make money while you sleep.  you will recover the rent money you would have spent plus the increase in value of the property when you sell it .

cheers

lmf

Moderated by Bhavna 3 months ago
Reason : Inappropriate
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct