Menu
Expat.com

Re residency in principle

Last activity 14 July 2024 by Alex C2

Kdavidson23

Hi can anyone help me ? My question is I would love to sell up my home in the uk and move to Mauritius however I have a  brain tumour (none cancerous ) I had surgery to debunk it over 13 years ago followed by 30 rounds of radiotherapy 11 years ago since then I have had a scan every two years with each scan my tumour has remained stable with no need for further intervention my oncologist has advised me that she can’t see any reason why it should affect  a Visa application to move from the UK to Mauritius however I was wondering if there is somewhere I could get advice on potentially obtaining a residency Visa in principle after taking all my medical history on board to see if this would be a process that I could continue with . Thank you in advance

Tookays

Welcome, and sorry to hear about your tumour. Also very happy that it is stable.

What exactly do you wish to do? There are mainly 2 routes to living in Mauritius (apart from work).

1, Residency by property acquisition and 2. Retirement permit.

However, before you make a decision to move, please do visit Mauritius and stay for a month or two to understand how things work (or not). After that, come back here to ask questions again.

I do hope you have been reading through the past posts here, and have read up all the information on the EDB website.

Best wishes.

Kdavidson23

Hi i have recent returned from spending a month in Mauritius after doing a lot of research and loved the relaxing lifestyle i am looking to buy an investment property over $375,000 usd .

Tookays

[at]Kdavidson23 good to know.

Lots of pitfalls to be careful of. First of all, contact the EDB to make sure you take all the right steps in the right way. As you might have read recently, all admin processes take more than the usual expected time.

If you are above 50, my advice, for what it is worth, is to apply for the retirement permit, move over and rent for a while, and then you can decide where to buy property and can spend the time needed to do all the necessary admin. Personally, I would not tie myself down to an expensive property and then find out a year or two later that the lifestyle is not suiting me; but that is just me.

Good luck on your journey, and do keep us updated.

Best wishes.

Kdavidson23

[at]Tookays

thank you for taking your time to reply to me. I totally appreciate and value your advice.

Tookays

[at]Kdavidson23 you can message me directly if you wish

shikhaluchun26

[at]Kdavidson23

Hello,

There are new laws passed here . I have some documents and information that can be helpful .

shikhaluchun26

[at]Kdavidson23

There is a new law concerning expat buying properties over 500 ,000 USD.

I can send some helpful documents.

Bhavna

@shikhaluchun26

Hello, really, what is this new law about ?

Feel free to share more details on the forum itself so that everyone can benefit from your inputs.

Thank you

Bhavna

Tookays

[at]shikhaluchun26. Please post links to edb or gov.mu sites regarding these new laws.

Alex C2

[at]shikhaluchun26,

hello, dude. Can you share the documents with me? I’m thinking about the same thing, but my health status is perfect. Is scam associated with property investment common to see in Mauritius?

Articles to help you in your expat project in Mauritius

• Retiring in Mauritius
    Retiring in Mauritius

Mauritius is rapidly becoming a hub for foreign retirees. To provide for the growing interest, in addition to the ...

• Customs in Mauritius
    Customs in Mauritius

As you embark on your expatriate journey to the picturesque shores of Mauritius, navigating the intricacies of ...

• Traveling to Mauritius
    Traveling to Mauritius

Are you looking to move to Mauritius on a short-term visa to scout for opportunities or to get a feel of life on ...

• Retire in Mauritius
    Retire in Mauritius

Do you want to spend the rest of your life gazing at seemingly endless stripes of warm sand, swinging your golf ...

• Driver's licence in Mauritius
    Driver's licence in Mauritius

Mauritius has a well-developed public transport network, although the frequency and working hours might not work ...

• Banking services in Mauritius
    Banking services in Mauritius

Opening a bank account in Mauritius can help you in many ways, including receiving your salary, paying your ...

• Emergency numbers in Mauritius
    Emergency numbers in Mauritius

The list below contains emergency numbers in Mauritius, should you be in need for assistance at any ...

• The health system in Mauritius
    The health system in Mauritius

Health is a major issue when moving abroad. Are expats eligible for the Mauritian health system? What are the ...

All of Mauritius's guide articles