Discount stores such as Savers and Goodwills

Hi!  My name is Gloria and am looking to move to  Heredia before the end of 2024.  I am very confused as to whether to sell all my possessions and purchase furnIture, car,  refrigerator, washer, dryer, etc there or have eveything shipped over there (this process scares me as it seems rather daunting!!)  I have read that buying over there is very expensive.  We have Savers and Goodwills here and buy almost everything there. (They are discount stores).  Are there similar stores there?  Please advise!!

Hello Francoglori1954,

Welcome to Expat.com 1f600.svg

Please note that I have moved your post to create a new thread on the Costa Rica forum for better visibility.

Hopefully, someone can tell you the availability of such stores there.

Cheers,

Cheryl

Expat.com team

Gloria, I cannot say whether there are discount and secondhand outlets here, but if there are, they're few and far between.

When we moved here in 2005, we brought almost all our household goods in a shipping container. If I had it to do again, there is no question that I would do the same thing but bring more.

While some things here are less expensive than in the States, anything imported will be more expensive. What's more, the selections will be more limited that what you're used to, and you don't know where to begin looking.

If you sell everything in the States, you'll be lucky to get 20% of what you paid. Then, you bring that 20% down here and learn the hard way that everything costs (maybe) 50% more than in the States -- but you only have that 20%. And you will have given up things that you bought because you liked them or because they mean something to you.

A shipping container shipment is basically a fixed rate cost whether it's full or empty, so if you think you'd like to bring something but you're not sure, bring it. You can even bring a car in the same container and it ships for free. The import duty on used household items is very low. So bring everything but the snowshoes.

Just one word of caution . . . Almost any idiot (even me) could arrange for a container to be delivered to your home in the States, loaded, and trucked to a port of exit to be shipped to a port of entry in Costa Rica. It's done every day. The fun part comes in dealing with Costa Rican Customs and in final delivery to your new home here. That's where local knowledge, experience and contacts make the difference.

So that word of caution is, deal with a container shipping company based here in Costa Rica, not one based in North America. It won't cost any more, and the avoidance of headaches will be worth it.

@daveandmarcia  Once again good information and advice. I was going there also.

@Francoglori1954

Look... it's somewhat of a loaded question that you have there. 

Why not take a look at it from 'both' ends?... and then consider what works best for You... because only you know you.

1)  Both options (sell up there and buy here; or, ship everything down here) involve logistics and organization and some feet on the ground... but each has its 'fuzzy' areas that you won't be able to forecast until the time comes... so KNOW that being resourceful, and patient, will get you through.

I don't know you... but I'll offer this:

A) Selling it all up there will make your actual 'move' a slimmer experience.  But of course... you'll have to Re-Acquire everything that you need, once you are here.  That has a Negative side; and some really good Positives as well...

Negative... you won't have anything that you need for daily, domestic 'living' once you are here... unless you rent a fully furnished place... but even that will most likely require you buying a mattress and some appliances.  But one trip to an Appliance store... and you can get it all done in one trip... they can arrange delivery.   Also...You can bring a lot with you on flights... and once you know you are making the 'leap'... start bringing stuff.  I even stored some stuff at a hotel that I became friendly with until I had a place.  I came 5 times and always brought 2 huge, oversized 'canvas' suitcases; 2 smaller bags, a backpack, and usually 2-3 cardboard 'boxes' that were less than 20x20x20 square and reinforced and taped like hell.  Yes... the airlines charged for extra stuff, and extra weight, etc... but I had it all with me when I landed.  No waiting.  No taxes, nothing.  Simple.  In those bags were clothing, bedding, bath, tools, some art, and kitchen stuff.  On my return trips to the states; all the empty bags fit into one, and I used new boxes for each trip.  Make sure you check with your airline (most have good websites regarding baggage restrictions and codes).  I had to get new boxes for each trip because they got beat up, but always made it intact.  You can buy them at Staples or Office Max.  I wrapped things in bubble wrap, or better... I used my clothing, towels, and bedding to wrap the breakables and harder edged objects, like tools and kitchen stuff.  Nothing broke.   My first 'residence' here was a rental... so I got by with a tiny fridge, toaster, hot plate, rice cooker...which all fit in a taxi.

Positives...  Since you have to re-acquire all your needs here...

1) You can actually tailor those needs to your new life. Surprise!!!   You will find that you need 'less' here; maybe far less... less clothing, less furniture, less everything,  etc.   You came here for a simpler life, right???  Get rid of the old stuff and make room for the new You.  You may find that some of that north American stuff doesn't work here, doesn't hold up to the climate, or just looks stupid.  Upholstery can get funky here.. and not in a cool way.  You may want to change over to things that are wipeable, breathable, and even washable (like a hammock).  I found a store called Masaya where none of the furniture had cushions.  I still have a box of 'pants' that hasn't been opened... in over 5 years.  I will have most of them made into shorts; I didn't think about shorts and t-shirts 365 days a year.  You will wear less, and wash more, when it comes to clothing.  Sure, bring the  'sentimental' things... but the rest is just stuff.  It would really suck if you paid an arm and a leg; and went thru the logistics of overseas shipping, to bring things that will never get used.  If you haven't lived here yet... ???   You know, you can take your 'time' to put together your new household ...  no pressure; the family probably isn't gathering for Thanksgiving here.   Here... that is just a Thursday.

2)  This is my favorite thing...   Procuring all that I needed to start a new life and build a new home here required searches and foot work and travel and, who knew... but,  I Learned so so much about CR while doing that.  I wouldn't have gone to most of the places that I went to for furniture, tile, sinks, lighting, etc. if I didn't need to... and in the process, found and saw things that enhanced my experience and increased my knowledge of my new country.  I saw and made note of art supply stores; specialty grocers, and discovered the ever popular... EPA... which is like Lowes, but so much nicer.  And some of the furniture places had 'discontinued' and display pieces that had rock bottom prices.  I think I bought tile in 5-6 different tile stores, so I didn't have to settle for 'ugly'... which is a popular look here.  I learned so much... it was a far more valuable exercise than just getting my check list filled.  I didn't own a car, still don't, so I rented one and paid a Tico friend for his time, to do the driving so that I could take in the views.  He knew his way around and thus, no 'direction' issues.  Plus, nice to have a native along for the ride.  We worked hard and traveled a lot in those 48 hours, but it was fun too.  We did it 3 times.  (I was renovating a house)   I'm 5.5 years into this, and I still need some things.. but no hurry; I'm busy now putting in a microscopic 'formal' hedge garden ... it'll be only 10" tall... and cover an area smaller than my living room.  Another project, another challenge, another 'day' in paradise.  If the garden doesn't kill me, the ants will.  LOL!!

B)  Shipping all that you own to CR...

Negatives...  Since I didn't do it, I don't know.  But I've read the pros and cons of it on this site and others... and you will have to sift through it all and decide for yourself.  Some of the testimonials are positive, some aren't; they are horror stories.  It seems that it is getting easier to do it; and perhaps, even more economical.   I did just that, I read, and liked what I read when people said.."leave it all behind and get new stuff here"... bring what you can on the plane and avoid the shipping headaches.   I didn't want any problems 'early on' (hard enough just adjusting to the weather and language and food) and the thought of things 'never' getting here, or sitting in 'customs' somewhere... was an easy 'out' for me.   It's easy for me to write this because I've made the decisions and moved on... but I am so glad I didn't bring most of what I, perhaps, would have.  I literally don't use my living room here, and only eat on my front porch.  I have never EVER used a blanket here;  I rarely wear pants,  and almost everything that I brought with sleeves... is now sleeveless.  Outside furniture is used 90% more than inside furniture; and I sleep in a hammock; buck naked;  4-5 nights a week because I can, and I get a good sleep, usually.  Of course, a few times a 'friendly' neighbor has wandered into my garden before I awoke... so there's that...  Not really awkward, but maybe 'knock' first... ???   Or a simple holler... Hola???   It's my place and I'm going to do what I want to do.   I can be the crazy naked Gringo and it hasn't 'hurt' my life here as of yet...

Cost and Logistics of international shipping... this could be painful if things don't end up where they are supposed to; not to mention, really ruin your 'early days' here... plus, there is the language barrier if you have no Spanish under your belt (start now);  but again, I am not versed in this area.

Positives... You'll have all your stuff.   Hurray!!  Especially things that you didn't want to say 'good-by' to.  Now what??   Well...  you can forget about the need to find a mid-century dining table, and your shopping excursions can be spent finding out where the good garden centers are, where to buy tropical clothing, learning about tropical plants, fruits, and veggies, and maybe learning about the public transport in your areas; and finding that supermarket that sells not just what you want... but what you are accustomed to; or shopping at the Ferias (farmer's markets) and doing some day trips to the local 'termales' and swimming holes that the tourist buses don't know about... and never will... shhhhh... 

You'll have time to learn more Spanish and make a life for yourself.

So you need to do your own due diligence; and then decide.  OK ??

As for discount stores... this is going to involve some 'learning' about the culture here.

1)  they have 'used' clothing stores... and in the past few years they really started to show up everywhere.  That is good!  But they are more like the '2nd hand' clothing shops that are in north American 'Church basements' than they are vintage or goodwill-ish.  Actually, I use them a lot... as I tend to take everything to my local seamstress and she removes sleeves and shortens, etc...  The strange thing, and I never would have forecast it, is that a lot of the 2nd-hand clothing is from 'up there'... and is made of heavier fabrics... which do not work in 99% humidity.  Just saying...   

Also... I have not, personally, seen 2nd hand 'household' stores... I think that people here are too poor and everything goes to other family members; friends; neighbors; or that 'woman' down the road with 5 kids and no husband and the house has a dirt floor.... nobody is giving stuff 'away' unless they are well to do, or gringos... and almost everyone knows somebody that can/will use/need it.

2)  Outlets.   there are 'American Outlets' everywhere... as well as other outlets that are a mix of everything.   Some 'outlets' just sell clothing... none of which will be unfamiliar to you... because it is all from 'up there'... but all of it is new.  But these places called 'American Outlets'   (like a chain??)  sell everything... kind of like clearing houses to get rid of all that which wouldn't sell 'up there'... so lamps, furniture, clothing, kitchen stuff, tools, exercise crap, bikes, patio goods, baby stuff, medical devices, etc.  Everything.  The merchandise changes constantly, and there are new outlets popping up like weeds.  I literally go to one 3-4 times a month that is inside the Bus Terminal in ciudad Quesada... grabbing a lamp or something else before catching my bus home.  I saw an espresso machine in there yesterday, but I was already carrying something heavy.   Quesada probably has twenty+ 2nd-hand clothing stores... from Huge to tiny.  One lady has a tiny shop and is really selective about what she sells... I find great stuff at her shop.  My friend was here from the states and she commented about almost everything I wore; saying "did you bring that with you, or did you find it here??"   and most was from the thrift.  I think the lady gets 50% of her merchandise from Argentina... so it definitely has a different look and feel than ???    I found her shop when I was lost.   

There are even Pawn Shops here... I'm not sure how they operate, but popular for bikes, laptops, power tools, etc.   Also, by nature, this is central america, not a lot of college degrees, and not a 'strong' middle class... but a good sized and thriving 'living' class... as well as a lot of poor and really poor folks.   So there is a lot of cheap merchandise for sale... like a lot!!!   Things will fall apart before you get them home.  So buyer beware... as usual.   Chinese merchandise is the norm.

good luck,

Pura Vida

@Francoglori1954

Hi Gloria; I'd like to add, that what 'dave' wrote is a good example of what you need to here in terms of 'variety' of responses to your inquiry.   I hope you get more testimonials; but as you can see... we have provided you with two totally different 'words' to consider... whether shipping or not.  But only you can decide.

I will add that what 'dave' writes (I copied it below) is not identified as his own experience, nor if it is his assumption regarding other people's 'things.  He only writes the word 'you' and not 'I'... so???    Maybe he has data from numerous expats and their experiences and has been able to compile the info into the percentages and so forth... but we just don't know.

he wrote... "If you sell everything in the States, you'll be lucky to get 20% of what you paid. Then, you bring that 20% down here and learn the hard way that everything costs (maybe) 50% more than in the States -- but you only have that 20%. And you will have given up things that you bought because you liked them or because they mean something to you."

Hmmm ???    Again... you are going to get numerous and differing testimonials... the 20% he writes about, really depends on, when it comes to you Gloria, on what you had and where/how you sold; or will sell it.   

This is a real testimonial... I had a house filled with mid and late 20th century items and furnishings; some of which had some provenance; both domestic and European.  Most of what I sold before coming here, was sold at an auction house that specializes in those types of items...  and 90% of it 'sold' for more than what I paid.  Perhaps I was lucky, but I wouldn't have done it without knowing ahead of time what my collection would bring.  The same with art; some of which I found in the far reaches of america... only to go at auction for 10x what I paid that 'guy' along the road in upstate 'somewhere'...

Also...  I find that things are yes, almost all imported here... but if you 'work' the search and ask Ticos for help and opinions as well as sourcing 'secrets'... and not other expats, you'll find that you can more than likely get new things without having to pay more than 10-20% more.   My GE fridge here is great... I paid $1100 dollars... and it, unlike my Sub-Zero back in the states, has never had an issue.   Also... this is perhaps the end of the 'road' for me ... so I'm not 'investing' in the best quality of things... I'm more interested in just being comfortable.  I can spend that 'upgrade' money on traveling (went to Peru a few months ago, it was amazing) or helping nieces and nephews with education costs.   

But he hits the nail on the head about things you like, or that mean something to you... those are the decisions that only you can make.  I kind of laugh now, because at this age I tend to forget about all the stuff that is now 'gone' ...  maybe it's the heat and humidity ???  I'm OK liking new things and things seem to 'mean' something to me here much differently than they did up there...  I guess it's part of the pura vida.   A neighbor's kid painted a rock to look like a bug and gave it to me when I had Dengue last year.. it was so sweet and it is rather cute... I would never have 'allowed' such dreck to exist in my house before living here.    I'll keep it forever.

Pura Vida

@daveandmarcia Do you or anyone, know of a CA. based container shipping company that you might pass along to us? Reputable?

I don't know anything about California-based shipping companies, but I'll bet none of them has the in-depth and current knowledge about importing household goods and vehicles that the Costa Rica-based importers do.

To clarify something that I thought was obvious, Marcia and I DID arrange container shipping from North Carolina to Grecia with a Costa Rica-based shipper. It was hardly a perfect experience but we would still do it again. So's ya knows . . . we had artwork, rugs, and a few antiques that were coming with us or we weren't coming. With that, since the container itself is a flat rate, full or empty, we filled it as full as we had stuff to ship. And we'd do it again.

In considering the pros and cons of bringing whatever you own, let me suggest that it's not so much the big stuff (that mid-century dining table, for example) as it is the little stuff. Imagine spending a day or two trying to find a source of pots and pans, silverware, bed, bath and kitchen linens, lamps, appliances, etc. All those things are much more expensive here than what they cost (and will bring) in a North American garage sale. And you don't know where to start looking!

And . . . There has been some talk of aspiring expats getting a waiver of the import taxes on household goods and vehicles. Maybe someone can bring us up to date. In the meantime, let me tell you that we insured over $100,000 worth of household goods when we moved here in 2005 and the insurance and the import duty was less than $600. That $600 is about the local cost of a Kenmore or Hobart stand mixer which you would propose to sell at a garage sale for $100 (maybe) and replace here.

Wow!  All of this info was super great!  Lots of different perspectives and thought processes.    Thank you all for the posts and for taking the time to respond!  If it is allowed, if any of you have the names of a few transport companies from CR to contact, I would greatly appreciate it.   I need to know the base price for transport. Again, thank you so much for your thoughtful responses.  You guys are great!  God bless you!   Gloria

@daveandmarcia

awesome advice thank you!

@daveandmarcia

Well said.  All good information.  But I'll go out on a limb and say that the 'search' is part of the adventure... I found so much more than I was 'looking' for when sourcing here in CR. 

2005 was a long time ago.   Hopefully somebody can tell us what it cost them more recently. 

One note... there was no tax nor did I need insurance on the things I brought on the plane...  so I didn't have to look for any of that here, and it was in my possession when I landed.   

LOL!!!

I don't think we are making it easier!!!   But it's good for Francoglori to get a taste of what they have to consider.

Peace 'dave'

Pura Vida

To be sure, many aspiring expats sell off everything "at home" and arrive here with a few boxes or suitcases of the essentials. And they seem to be satisfied with that decision as are you. But a question remains . . .

You've been happy to share your monthly living expenses here in Costa Rica, but what did it cost you to get here? What did you dispose of in the States (right?) and how much did you get for all that stuff? Then, while you brought lotsa things, what did it cost you to replace what you disposed of before arriving here?

You added to the home you bought here but what tools did you use, or did you bring all those? I doubt that you brought large furniture in your luggage, so what did it cost to furnish your remodeled (right?) and enlarged home? Bedding(?). Did you bring just a mattress or also box springs? Large and small appliances? TV or stereo equipment? Upholstered furniture? What did all that and more cost to replace once your "new" home was completed?

See, we had all that stuff which we acquired because we liked it, and because it was all serviceable there was no point in giving it away just to come here and try to replace it. Instead, we kept those investments and paid a reasonable price to move them here. An interstate move in the U.S. would have cost about the same. By the way, there is an unfortunate lesson to be learned when you discover that "upholstery" in Costa Rica is meant to last at least four generations. If you find park benches suitable for long-term seating, you're gonna love this!

I must also point out that the first year or so of living in Costa Rica will be a whirlwind of legal and financial activities. Unless you've been found not guilty of multiple crimes in the States, you're going to spend more time with attorneys here than all the time you've spent in your life to date. Add trying to find replacements for all the stuff you could have brought will be more than just an "adventure".

Dave... what is it with you not being able to accept the choices that others make ??  So what if you did it differently... that doesn't make you somehow 'right'... or even 'wrong'.   I'm glad you brought your things... it is what makes you happy.    Nothing more.

But your "seem to be satisfied" comment above, is the same as saying... "I don't believe you and I'm here to prove it."  Correct?   

Why??   What do you 'get' from doubting the actual lives and experiences of others??  It's kind of really weird.  Do you read history books and 'doubt' what you read??  Do you 'doubt' manuals and instructions because you just need, desperately, to be the smartest guy in the room??  Why do you spend time on this thinking???  Are you that bored?   

I tell you what... I'll bore the other 'readers' (obviously, not you?) with more dumb facts.

Like... Cost to get here, since you asked???:  I came six times; once for a search trip... the other five to buy the properties and bring my life here.   do you have an issue with that???  I can get receipts from the airlines if you need them??  I guess.

1st trip: Airfare was free  (I always fly free because of the miles I racked up during my career... perhaps there was a $30 tax on the trip??)  I paid a driver for 11 days; which was around $1,100.  I paid for hotels and food and gas.  Same as going on an 11 day vacation, I guess???  But we didn't stay in lux hotels and ate at sodas... it was a fact-finding excursion.  Found a place, and made a friend for life.  Win Win

2nd trip thru 6th... came back down, FREE AIRFARE every time.  (that must be raising the old blood pressure, huh?)  ... paid extra for extra checked bags and boxes as well as (full disclaimer, Dave) extra for over-weight items.  I'm guessing, each trip... maybe an extra $300.  Once in SJ... my new friend for life picked me up and insisted that I only pay for gas.  I brought all the tools that were small enough for suitcases; same goes for kitchen stuff, some art, and of course; all my clothes.   Bored yet?

So...  I'm guessing that it cost around $3,500 to get me down here... including the cost to pay a driver during the search trip.  To be fair... let say $4,500 so we can include cheap hotels and food + beer.... or even round it off to $5K   ...  feel better?

As for what I sold in the US... I had the type of 'things' that others are willing to pay good money for, used!!.  Maybe I'm a weirdo... but I made Way More on resale than what I initially paid.  That kind of stuff appreciates in value and I knew that because I worked in a related field.  Not sure why you want to know that though... ???   Does it burn?  Dave?

Honestly, I haven't replaced 'much'... but here is the LIST because yes... I had the opportunity and cash from selling many of my things for a god profit, to go out and get some new things...... and I'll bore you all with that as follows:

Mattress:  my mattress in the states was almost 15 years old; glad to be rid of it.  New one here was $900... it is fine.  I sleep in my hammock more often than not.  Also bought a twin mattress for a guest bed; $380.

Beds:  I constructed a built-in platform in the tiny guest space with wood that I salvaged from doing my own demo on the original interior... so it was free.  (I actually brought screws with me!!) As for the queen bed; I got custom cut lumber from the tiny lumber mill in my village and used it, with some salvaged boards, to construct a queen platform bed.  the new boards cost around $75 and I paid him an extra $25 to sand them more thoroughly.  So... $100 total.  The headboard is made from 'sections' of the interesting, existing,  interior wood doors that were salvaged from the house.  It's very Anthropologie sheik.  (ask marcia)  I had to remove a tree with white bark during construction... I cut 'chunks' from the trunk... and use them as nightstands... can you stand It????

Other large furniture... doesn't exist really.  I built another banquette style 'thing' in the living area from 'free' salvaged lumber, and had some custom cushions made for it with removable fabric covers... so I can WASH them.  All together, around $380 + fabric.   You should see it!!   I have non-upholstered furniture in the rest of the house; I can wipe it clean for many generations to come.   In total, 2 large chairs with synthetic woven seats; , and 4 small ones that are indoor-outdoor and I use for dining and well as for my students at English class.   I built a small dining table from salvaged lumber and bought a 'slice' from a local tree trunk for the top.  They guy charged me 25,000 colones... so around $50. 

I found simple metal bar stools for my kitchen peninsula at Nordico... $65 each.  Great source for those of you who actually want something 'new' for your new lives here.

I bought a fridge because I knew my old Sub-Zero would be impossible to 'service' here.  I also bought a stove.  I don't' have a dishwasher, nor a dryer.  I haven't seen a dryer since living here.  I bought a few small appliances here so that I could 'get by' in the small apartment that I first rented.  Toaster, rice cooker, hot plate, blender.  I still use them all... my old ones were crap and I didn't cry to say 'goodbye' to any of them... there was no sentiment involved.  But I do have some 'love' for my tiny Cuisinart food processer that i managed to lug all the way down here...

My kitchen and laundry countertops are concrete with concrete block 'legs' and were constructed with the house renovation... so they were included in the just under $100K total cost for the purchase and renovation and add on (includes plumbing fixtures, lighting, tile, and windows and doors) of the house.  I had a local carpenter build me a large 6-drawer dresser, and a nifty coffee table to sit in front of my long banquette sofa ...  Total costs... $600 to the carpenter.  I didn't spend time 'searching... but I did have to do drawings... which I've been doing for 40 years.  He was great and I'll use him for more in the future. 

Kitchen cabinets... below the concrete counter tops I built open shelving so easy to clean ... and wall hung cabinets are open fronted boxes made from salvaged lumber.  I had to purchase glue and nails. Ugh!

I have two hammocks... Less than $50 each.

I am happy to have purchased one of those 'Semi-automatic' Daewoo washing machines... (bored yet?) which all the Ticos seem to have.  It is great when you need to soak, and rinse more than a few times because clothing gets destroyed here... rain, mud, garden... get the picture?   I guess taking the time to 'observe' the locals instead of reading a forum to find out how to live here was good advice.

The only tools I had to buy were things I had never owned before... a disc saw, a hedge trimmer, a sander, and a 'guaranar' machine... like a weed eater... but for cutting the whole lawn.  Here and there i pick up a few things more... just like I probably would if I was still living up there?? 

I don't have a TV nor a stereo... what year are you living in?  Say hello to Dick Van Dyke for me.

So.. Maybe somebody switched out your regular for decaf???   I really couldn't follow.   But your assumptions are, I guess, something that Gloria can consider??

I only wrote about my own experience and didn't spend 'time' writing about my assumptions about what others lost or gained during their moves.  I just don't care.  I have better things to do.  I didn't question your motives for acquiring your stuff... nor what it meant to you...and I really think that the whole 'replacing' thing... is going to be different for each person.  I won't be replacing my winter clothes, nor my snow shovel.   ...did you just tighten up a bit??

A) I get it...  you value your stuff more than adventure.  Good for you.  Less adventurers out on the trail, so to speak.  You don't want to be there, and I don't want you there.  Keep nature clean.

B) I had no reason, whatsoever, to 'replace' everything; nor most things... I'm living with far less... life here is Way Way different... for me!!! ... and considering what my Tico friends have... I'm still doing quite well.  I, and only me, am finding that I don't need all the crap that I had in my north American life.  I don't live there anymore.  I made a change.  Period.   But I'm glad that somebody in CR is making money off shipping 'stuff' down here.  I hope they thrive.

C) I'm not projecting the value of my things on the assumption that I know what 'things' others have...  I honestly don't care.  But if you need to drive home the 20% thing... then I can only surmise what you must have.  BTW.. what's a 'garage sale' anyway.. ??

D)  Not sure what kind of Trump speech writer gave you that 4 generation 'upholstery' info... but ... really?  Maybe there is a typo? Or you forgot to proofread?   In a place where sweaty bodies are against fabric wrapped around foam 'sponges'....  I'm guessing it gets pretty funky, pretty fast.  Proof???   well... I'm pretty sure I'm not the only gringo who notices the sofas and chairs sitting out on the Tico porches... obviously, to air out or to get a few more months of use out of them before the burn pile.  You should contact the tourist websites and let people know that they'll be paying to come down and relax on 4-generation old smelly chaise lounge cushions.  Do you wear clothes, Dave, for four generations before you wash them???   Think about that sofa fabric...  when was the last time you washed it??   My Tico neighbors have wood benches in their living rooms... and they look really uncomfortable... but maybe, it's because they 'last' and don't 'stink'.  They use make-shift cushions to keep their backsides from hurting.  I think that most upholstered furniture 'sold' in CR is made abroad... without any consideration for the climate. 

Almost forgot... I have spent a total of ONE hour with an attorney here in 5.5 years. ????  It cost me $100... and he went with me to CCSS to help me to 'opt out' of the 'pension' portion of my Caja payment.  That saved me around $100 a month... so it was a good investment???  $6,600 savings... No???

Sorry to stick in pin in your bubble... but I didn't have to replace many things at all... just because you 'think' you would have, doesn't mean that I did.  You just can't separate yourself form 'my' story... which is kind of creepy.  Most of what I bought was construction materials... did you bring construction material with you too???  I loved the project; and it was MY project; and the adventure was my choice and I value it greatly... and you can't tell me that I can't, or shouldn't, or what's really weird... that I didn't.

Why must you project your experience on others and cast doubt on that of everybody else's???  If the Great Dave didn't do it that way... then it must not be possible!!!   Geez, poor Marcia... no wonder she doesn't contribute...  does she see what you write??  Does she or anybody, besides me, question your motive?

Yep... those writing inquires by people like Gloria... deserve, and need a little bit of 'info' and testimonials 'from all sides'; but your lonely, keyboard 'doubt' spasms remind me of what is often said, by me... "He who doubts others is usually the one most likely to be doubted".

At least you haven't told us all that we are eating our own ____; like u-no-who.

It's almost as if you're 'jealous' sort of... because you treated moving here almost the same as moving from State to State... wheras, some of us took a completely different approach.  I don't look down on your choices... nor do I question them.  So... why must you question me?  Is there something else going on???

Pura Vida... or whatever you 'think' is an acceptable 'sincerely...'

You misunderstand or maybe chose to misread what I wrote. To clarify, you wrote "But your "seem to be satisfied" comment above, is the same as saying... "I don't believe you and I'm here to prove it."  Correct?   

No, that's not correct. What it is is an acknowledgement that you made a choice that has worked well for you. ". . . seem to be satisfied. . ." means just that and nothing more. You seem to be satisfied. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar. Easy, huh?

@daveandmarcia

Well... maybe you just didn't' take the time to read your own post... but you sure had a LOT of questions regarding what 'I' had to replace, what 'I' left behind, how much it cost 'me t', etc.   It's so strange that you wanted so much boring information.  Kind of creepy and yucky.  I'd rather tell people about the ins/outs of Residency process... or even growing bananas.  ???  Maybe you can get an ant farm, or a goldfish to entertain you... ??

Look...I came here for a change... and for ME that meant ditching the old.  I didn't want to even have walls when I got here... but the house came 'with' them.  I am so glad that I brought so little, and that I replaced nothing but a few essentials.  It's liberating.

It seems that you assume that everybody is going to replicate their living 'situations' when they get here because you did???... but I'm guessing that [a lot of] the 'kind' of people that say,  "F-It..  I'm moving to CR"... really don't give a rats backside about their 'stuff'.   And now there will be more than ever coming down here... especially if T becomes president again and sends his goon squads out to round up the 78 million that didn't vote for him in 2020.  Where is he going to put all those people??

I hope you pay somebody well for cleaning the dead bugs out from under your rugs though.   Peace.