Retirement Visa help and tips

I moved to Australia from the UK 18 years ago and have also I  been traveling to Thailand for seventeen years since my son moved to Bangkok.  I am now hoping to move there on a retirement visa within a few months.  I'm thinking the one where you need 65000 confirmed earning in the bank. As far as I can see it's best to apply from there.

Arrive on a 30 x day tourist visa, then extend to sixty and then the 12 x month O visa.

Just wondering what sort of costs are the medical insurance?

and is it best to sort everything out there or are there things I need to do from Australia. I know I need identifying documents.

Plus and hints and tips you can provide to make the process easier?

Cheers

Ange

@Angela Farlam

Sounds pretty good & best 2 sort out Medical cover in Thailand.

Best go see an English or Australian Visa person to help u with everything.

Hope all goes well & enjoy living in Thailand.

If i may throw something in with Angela's questions, what is needed in order to prove the requirement calling for an FBI or State Criminal History report.  I believe i can get the other info while i am back in the States next month, but sure how to get a criminal clearance report in the US.  Any thoughts on that would be appreciated as well.  Thank you, Anthony

Thank you.. my son has been living in Babgkok  firc17 years so i vusit often 👍❤️

@Bobbyglasbrenner

I have a police clearance and blue card here in australia in regard to my work.  I wonder if this is acceptable for the requirements in Thailand.  I had a new police check only around two months ago?

I don't believe you need a police clearance for the non immigrant O visa at all. Also, applying for the O visa from your home country is probably a better idea. This way you have 90 days to get everything ready for the 1 year extension.

Regarding the 65k monthly payments, I've read about issues with this method, at least until you have a full year of monthly payments to a thai bank account that you can provide to immigration as proof. If you can provide proof by other means, e.g. a statement from your embassy, this could be a solution.

My plan is to apply for a 90 day non immigrant O visa from the Thai embassy where I live. Get to Thailand and find a place to rent. Use proof of residency to get a bank account and transfer 800k baht. Wait for 2 months and then apply for a 1 year extension. Repeat the extension each following year.

I don't believe you need a police clearance for the non immigrant O visa at all. Also, applying for the O visa from your home country is probably a better idea. This way you have 90 days to get everything ready for the 1 year extension.

-@JonSt

unless you are sponsored, this definitely is the way.... then you will know  the requirements you need in thailand as well, as they are pretty similar

I'm an American citizen and just got my retirement visa. I tried to use the income verification, but the USA embassy does not sign the required document that immigration will want. I brought in a certified statement from my bank stating what my retirement income was for over one year. They would not accept it.  The immigration officer kept showing me the required form and said no. That was in Trat but a drive to Pattaya and a little extra money solved the problem.  Some immigration officers will bend rules and others will not.  A little extra money solves most problems

@JonSt yes I understand this is the best option if over 50 if planning on a permanent move. I was going to do this but now because of their new tax laws I'm not going to stay more than 180 days per year.

People use a agency or do it themselves. It can be a mindfield so goodluck.have what is required money first the rest will follow