Menu
Expat.com

How to Obtain a Tax ID (RUC) in Panama and why you should to it.

Last activity 16 October 2024 by Luca Querini

West98

Obtaining a Tax ID, or Registro Único de Contribuyentes (RUC), in Panama is a crucial step for any expat living in Panama. The RUC serves as a unique identifier for taxpayers, whether they are individuals or corporations, and is essential for complying with Panamanian tax regulations. PLEASE DO NOT CONFUSE the payment of taxes in Panama for foreigners, which in most cases is 0, with the mandatory filing that every citizen must do.

Steps to Obtain a RUC in Panama,

• Gather Necessary Documents: Ensure you have all required documentation, including identification, proof of address and residence card, if needed.

• Look for a CPA: Only accountants in Panama are authorized to apply for a tax number. If you still do not have a reliable accountant in Panama, you can contact Agroup Consulting Panama, which is the firm I recommend to use.

• Receive Your RUC: Once your application is processed, you will be issued a RUC, which you must use for all tax-related matters.

Benefits of Having a RUC.

Having a RUC you will be able to apply for bank loans in Panama even if you do not pay taxes.  You can also use it to avoid paying taxes in your country of origin, depending on whether or not Panama has a double taxation treaty with your country.

I hope this information can be useful for expatriates living in Panama.

Luca Querini

I am not a Panamaian Citizen but I already have the cedula as permanent resident: does it mean I already have the RUC?

Articles to help you in your expat project in Panama

• Tax in Panama
    Tax in Panama

Panama is famous for being a low tax area, but that doesn't mean it is tax free. Residents have to pay not only ...

• Customs in Panama
    Customs in Panama

It is advisable to seek customs information through the official channels before travelling to Panama. Because ...

• Childcare in Panama
    Childcare in Panama

Education in Panama is compulsory for children from 6 years. In general, children attend pre-primary school as ...

• Sports in Panama
    Sports in Panama

A country as conducive to the outdoor life as Panama almost inevitably develops sport-lovers. In this case the ...

• Studying in Panama
    Studying in Panama

Panama has a good number of higher education institutions including some large universities. The public ones are ...

• Communicating in the local language
    Communicating in the local language

As a Panamanian who was fortunate enough to learn English and have some exposure to other different cultures ...

• Visas for Panama
    Visas for Panama

There are different types of residency visas in Panama, including those for retirees and others for people wishing ...

• Transport in Panama
    Transport in Panama

There are different means of transport in Panama: planes, trains, subway, bus, taxi, etc. You can choose among ...

All of Panama's guide articles