Menu
Expat.com

Balikbayan Protocol Paper work before Leaving the US

Last activity 20 August 2024 by mugteck

Rubyisrael

We are leaving the US with a roundtip ticket of 34 days and not 30 days. I am a Balikbayan and so is my husband. We have the paperwork to prove that we are Balikbayans, My Daughter and her husband are traveling with us. Are we going to be allowed to exit or board the plane from US knowing we are past the 30 days for the free visa even though balikbayans can stay up tp a year? I hear many horror stories of being detained in the airport or being refused boarding unless they changed their tickets to 30 days. Thank you in advance

AlbertaDonuts

The problem I have had and others I have chatted with is the airline will not allow you to board unless you have an exit ticket within 30 days.  The answer is simple.  Buy a cheap throw away ticket to leave the country in 29 days and show it when you board... If you by a ticket from Cebu Pacific to a nearby country you can get tickets for under $50 USD.  and if you pay for flex you can cancel it after you arrive to the Philippines and hold the value in an account for future travel so you are not loosing the money.  If you don't have a ticket there is a good chance you will be denied boarding.  I have had to show the exit flight twice to get a boarding pass.

Good luck

mugteck

My Filipina wife and I never have exit tickets within 30 days.  She brings a copy of our marriage license and a copy of her dual citizenship paper work.  The last 3 times the USA did not even ask for any flight info, and we are both using USA passports which have previous bb stamps on them.  We usually do not have roundtrip tickets but exit tickets in 5 months. We are always required to show the above mentioned paper work to leave the Philippines and upon entry when we land.  No problems, gonna do it again this November.

A local guy here in PA was denied boarding on PAL at JFK a few years ago because he had no exit ticket at all.  His wife was waiting in the Philippines with their return tickets.  He had entered with her the previous year, got bb, but did not understand that she had to enter with him EVERY time he entered the Philippines,  otherwise he was treated as a single traveler.

Articles to help you in your expat project in the Philippines

All of the Philippines's guide articles