Menu
Expat.com

Advice on real estate in Belize

Last activity 05 October 2024 by mrfathersir

Rickblanchard

hello , i plan to live in Belize in 4 years, upon retirement  i have been researching heavily and been there once, in February  going back in 2 weeks for a second visit  stayed in Ambergris in Feb and will be in Hopkins this time my main motivations are the carribbean weather and fly fishing the flats, which i intend to do a lot of in retirement 

Ambergris was too crowded and expensive   we loved Placencia but options were  limited  this next trip we are going to explore Hopkins but also drive up to Corozal to see land and homes there and to see what the drive to Chetamaul is like 

i really want to connect with some knowledgable expats, particularly those that know the real estate and ones that are avid fisherman for intel 

have i come to the right place?

Aerodex

@Rickblanchard

I felt the same way about Ambergris Caye when I spent a couple weeks there in 2008. The next year I explored Placencia and loved it. Kept going back each year until I retired in 2015. I explored more areas around the country for several months, but ended up buying a place in Placencia Village in 2016. I like the feeling of community I did not find anywhere else. We can walk everywhere, if in a hurry, I ride my bike.

I know since the world came out of Covid shutdowns, the entire Placencia peninsula and the villages north of me have exploded in new construction, and places that did not sell previously, properties being on the market unsold for 4-5 years sold rapidly at high prices. Many sight unseen over the phone. Of course this drove the prices up. Will those prices hold? Or will folks not accustomed to the differences in Belize sell after a year or two? 😃

Hopkins is nice and offers a lot, but is spread out, to me lacks a central area unless it has evolved one in the last 2-3 years.

If I were looking today, I would look around Settee which is close to Hopkins,or along the Beautiful Hummingbird Highway.

Also suggest looking along the recently completed "Coastal Highway". It saves an hour off the 3 hour drive from the main Belize airport down to Dangriga/Hopkins/Placencia etc. There are new communities and developments going in along and near this new highway. 

belizelandoffices

@Rickblanchard I'll add that there is plenty of fishing in the Corozal area, but I don't see a lot fly fishing. I've never fly fished, so perhaps it's just not the preferred method for the folks we know. Lagoon fishing, inshore, and near shore are all popular.

While in the northern part of the country check out the Corozal side, but also the Cerros Peninsula (Cerros Sands, Copper Bank) and up to Sarteneja. They all have their own vibe. The Corozal-Sarteneja Road has recently been paved and they are finishing the second bridge along it to replace the hand-crank ferries. Hopefully it will be complete before your trip so you can experience all of the new infrastructure spurring interest in the area - I expect there to be more growth over the next decade as the travel becomes easier.

If you have time, go up through Orange Walk to Progresso Village and explore the Copper Bank - Sarteneja area before going over to Corozal and Consejo.

belize boy

Yes, Hopkins is a lovely option, not as developed as further south but that means lots of scope for property appreciation and even beach front properties are still affordable.

TexItalian

@belize boy "not as developed as further south but that means lots of scope for property appreciation and even beach front properties are still affordable."

Errr..., no. Properties in Hopkins have appreciated rapidly already. Beachfront properties are NOT still affordable, matter of fact the prices for already built homes ave skyrocketed. Most likely because, last time I drove by, I only saw 2, maybe 3, waterfront lot left unbuilt. ALL the rest already have fairly large homes on them. Pretty much same story for Sittee River lots...

Julian Santiago

Moderated by Bhavna last month
Reason : Free advertising is not allowed on the forum. Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct
mrfathersir

@belize boy "not as developed as further south but that means lots of scope for property appreciation and even beach front properties are still affordable."

Errr..., no. Properties in Hopkins have appreciated rapidly already. Beachfront properties are NOT still affordable, matter of fact the prices for already built homes ave skyrocketed. Most likely because, last time I drove by, I only saw 2, maybe 3, waterfront lot left unbuilt. ALL the rest already have fairly large homes on them. Pretty much same story for Sittee River lots...

-@TexItalian

There are properties available in Hopkins. It just depends where you look and who you ask. The Jaguar Reef is expanding into a new phase. So, a lot of beachfront has been scooped up. Sittee Point is looking like Placencia(home sizes), but affordable is a matter of opinion. I wouldn't mind having beachfront property, but $75K+ USD for maybe a 1/10th of an acre is not affordable to me.

If not directly on the beach you can find cheaper and/or more land for the price.

Maybe closer to the village and away from the hotel zone in Hopkins is still an option.

Articles to help you in your expat project in Belize

• Using phones in Belize
    Using phones in Belize

Belize has a national telecommunications company, Belize Telemedia, Limited, and several mobile phone companies ...

• Connecting to the internet in Belize
    Connecting to the internet in Belize

Belize enjoys decent internet coverage. Unfortunately it is slow and expensive. The country has many internet ...

• How to drive in Belize
    How to drive in Belize

In Belize, you can drive with an international driver's license, and you can often drive with a license from ...

• Where's the Beef?
    Where's the Beef?

Before visiting Belize to determine if it was a country we could permanently relocate to, we did an awful lot of ...

• Sports in Belize
    Sports in Belize

Sport has always been a part of Belizean life. Although the country does not have a lot in terms of professional ...

• Banking in Belize
    Banking in Belize

Belize was once known to be a real banking haven, a place where banking secrecy was guaranteed. The situation ...

• Childcare and education in Belize
    Childcare and education in Belize

If you are moving to Belize with your family, you likely have questions about child care and education. There are ...

• Customs in Belize
    Customs in Belize

Every country regulates what can and cannot cross its borders to prevent the spread of disease, adhere to local ...

All of Belize's guide articles