New Members - Lots of questions

Hi, We are Rob and Teri.  Thinking of spending 6 mo - 1 yr in Europe.  We did a French Med cruise earlier this year and were surprised to find our favorite city was Barcelona!  I looked at the guides on expat.com, it's overwhelming.  Wondered if you guys could give us some tips.  We are US citizens and we have US passports.

Visa: do we need one?  which one would you recommend.  I saw something about a golden visa? I have a little company, and would continue working remotely.  all my customers are in the USA. Teri might pick up a job in Spain teaching English or something like that, if that's an option.

Where?  We're thinking we would make Spain our homebase, and then make trips to France, Germany, Italy, Netherlands, UK, etc.  We liked Barcelona, so I think we would live there unless there was a reason not to...

Health Insurance: any recommendations?

Accommodations: any recommendations?

Guides: is there anyone/a company that you would recommend that could help us jump thru all the hoops?

Thanks in advance!

you might want to consider a digital nomad visa

As Rob suggests to work remotely you need the digital nomad visa, so far everytime I look these visas up they change the name. You could also do a retirement visa but you are not allowed to work with it. Under the digital nomad visa you will have to pay Spanish taxes. I'm not sure how much but the US and Spain do have a tax agreement but I'm not sure of the particulars. Let me know if you find out, I would hope either we pay the higher difference to one, but I do know you have to file with both.

You will be required to have private insurance for the first year, it is quite reasonable, just get a quote from the players. Google best travel insurance companies for who to get a quote from.

Our flight leaves Saturday to Madrid (layover) then on to Alicante.

Steve

for guides you may want to check out Welcome Desk Barcelona:https://www.barcelona.cat/internationalwelcome/en

@robertw10325

Hello and welcome !

Feel free to read the Spain Guide for essential infos : Living in Spain guide for expats

All the best

Bhavna

@robertw10325

Visas are (usually) an expensive, time-consuming aggravation, residence visas even more so. (Similarly, related incidental such as long-term rentals, private health insurance, local jobs.)

For a relatively short period abroad (6-12 months), I suggest you'd be far better off to avoid them! I like zero hoops, and I've never bothered unless I want to relocate for several years or I've been offered a "proper" job. Americans have visa-free travel to most of the world, typically for up to 90 days (up to 180 days for UK). This means you can easily spend several months in each of several countries.

Some will let you leave and re-enter at 90 days (the "visa run"), but most of Europe allows up to 90 days in 180 (i.e a proper break before returning). Additonally, the EU includes the Schengen Zone, so your 90 in 180 limit applies to all Schengen countries. The non-Schengen countries are non-EU countries (UK, Serbia, Albania, Turkey, Dubai and many more) and EU countries outside Schengen (Ireland, Cyprus).

So you can't do 3 months in Spain,  followed by 3 months in France (its neighbour), as they're both Schengen. But you can do 3 months in France, then pop over to UK on the ferry and spend 3 months (or more) there, then get a cheap Ryanair/Wizzair flight to Spain and spend 3 months there.

With these shorter visits, you should be able to have a good travel insurance policy cover you for any emergencies, rather than buying far more expensive private health insurance.

Similarly, finding a place to rent is a time-consuming exercise, and you're paying for an empty apartment when you're travelling. Sure, short-stay rooms (via Airbnb or Booking) are a bit more expensive, but they're much easier, and much more flexible.

It's not legal to work when you're on a tourist visa or a tourist visa-exception, but many remote workers/digital nomads do exactly this for years, across many countries. Tik-tok documenting, optional.

Working in a language school is a different issue, and I would not recommend it (and not just from a work permit perspective). You might find one that will do cash-in-hand, but I think most will want legal workers these days. If you have teaching experience, I reckon it's better to do it online so that it's something you can do wherever you are, without a work visa.

Barcelona is a great city. I like it a lot and I visited the city and the nearby coast (the beautiful Costa Brava) often when I lived nearby (Andorra). But it's very expensive, and I'm not sure I'd want to stay there for more than a month, and I certainly wouldn't pick it as my European base. If you really want a Spanish residence visa, I reckon the NLV (No Lucrativa Visa) is the easiest, provided you have either pension (or other passive) income or 30k euros in savings. Otherwise, as suggested, the DNV.

@gwynj very helpful - Thank You!

@robertw10325 Hi Rob and Teri. We visited Barcelona just about a year ago and also fell in love with Barcelona and the vibe. I then saw an article on CNN about the city of Valencia, which is about three hours from Barcelona. I did a search for homes, not realizing that Valencia is a province as well as a city. What poped up was a great house in the small town of Daimuz, about an hour south of Valencia. It is one of many beaches along the 140 mile stretch of Spain by the Mediterranean Sea. We are both retired and will not be working, so it ios perfect for us. I can recommend a great realtor, Vanessa at Hello2Spain. And we have a local attorney handkling all thre visa and official stuff. We are both over 65, so getting health insurance is a bit more complicated and expensivethan for younger people. Hope this helps.