Menu
Expat.com

Digital Nomad extension - will I get fined for overstaying?

Last activity 30 September 2024 by rocade

peter10315

My digital nomad visa expired in April, and I've been trying to renew since February. I finally managed to get it approved and will go to the police tomorrow. Will I get fined for overstaying? Sounds unfair but you never know here.

roddiesho

@peter10315 My overstay was much, much longer. I was fined R$7,200 which I promptly paid. Spent an enormous amount of time in the United States getting documents etc. I am finally a Brazilian Permanent Resident with my card.  You will barely remember it after it is taken care of. Good Luck.

Roddie in Retirement1f575.svg

roddiesho

@peter10315  My overstay was much, much longer. I was fined R$7,200 which I promptly paid. Spent an enormous amount of time in the United States getting documents etc. for my Residency afterward. I am now finally a Brazilian Permanent Resident with my card.  You will barely remember it after it is taken care of. Good Luck.

Javier4747

@peter10315 hi, is this the first renewal ?

peter10315

First renewal, yes.

@Roddie, but was your situation the same? Did you also start applying for renewal before your visa expired?

Mikeflanagan

@peter10315

yes you would want to apply for renewal before expires because as soon as it does you immediately start accruing debt for the fine. Best to do that and sort out the fine asap as it would in some cases count against a renewal

peter10315

I started in February ... I hope to get away with it.

abthree

09/01/24    I started in February ... I hope to get away with it.

-@peter10315

Hi, Peter.  Try to explain your situation, and how often you were trying.  It may help.

Next time you run into this kind of problem, go to the PF office before your expiration date, tell them what going on, and make a note of the conversation for your records.

roddiesho

@peter10315 No it was not. That being said I firmly believe any type of immigration in Brazil (or elsewhere) is never easy, so prefer for a complex long situation.  I was on your normal 90-day visa with about 4 days remaining when I came back from the USA, having taken care of my FBI Background Check. Even though I technically had time remaining, I was physically restrained from entering back into Brazil. It took a long, long time of negotiating with the customs etc. people to let me enter. They did not believe that the short time I had left was enough. It literally took, I believe, involvement from a high-ranking official in Brasilia on Easter weekend to let me back to Brazil.

My takeaway has been since then that nothing in this process is easy or it won't happen to me because.... When you are trying to get back to Brazil with a Visa situation it is not the advice someone gave you, or what you read, but the interpretation of the 300lb., 6foot tall agent blocking your way.

So, just to clarify, you asked me if I had started to ask for renewal before.... I had ALL my documents with me at the time since I had actually planned on going to hopefully see them when I arrived in Fortaleza.  Would it have made a difference? Since it took me a whole year from then to complete my immigration, I don't think so.

peter10315

Thx for the info.

I'll report back tomorrow.

Peter Itamaraca

@peter10315

It is not the date when you started to make your renewal application that matters, but the date your completed application was accepted by the PF. Di you go to see them before the expiry date of the previous visa?

peter10315

No I did not as I understood that being in the process of renewal would be sufficient.

How do I find out if there's a fine registered under my name? Will they tell me or do I need to ask?

abthree

09/02/24   No I did not as I understood that being in the process of renewal would be sufficient.How do I find out if there's a fine registered under my name? Will they tell me or do I need to ask?        -@peter10315

They will definitely tell you.  That's probably how the conversation will start, which will give you the opportunity to explain that you started the process before your visa expired, but were unable to complete it in time.  They may or may not accept the explanation to reduce or cancel the fine.

If they just process you and don't mention a fine, then there probably isn't one, and you should not raise the question.

roddiesho

@peter10315 Just to clarify the point that @Peter Itamaraca made is very important. When you say they are "processing it". Did they ACCEPT it first?

peter10315

Took ages but no mention of a fine whatsoever. I'll leave Brazil before my RNM is ready, but they told me I can leave the country with the protocolo.

Just a final question; if they say nothing when I leave the country, can I conclude there is no fine or should I still worry once re-entering?

Mikeflanagan

The airport PF will issue your ticket upon leaving. ( your fine ) then it needs to be paid prior to arrival to simplify things upon return.

They wont directly mention a fine in most cases. up until you leave as it just keeps accruing

peter10315

I asked a guy working there, and while he wasn't 100% sure as it isn't his setor, he was convinced they would've told me if there were a fine I need to pay. They generally send you straight to the desk where you need to pay on the spot.

Apparently all good.

He offered to let someone check, but I decided to let sleeping dogs lie.

roddiesho

@peter10315 I would wake the dogs up.

It is much easier to take care of it now, then be surprised later. I am a little scarred from having to work things out in the middle of the Sao Paulo Airport terminal. If nothing else, go to the source...The Federal Police....

peter10315

Not sure where I would find this information however. They're unreachable by phone and I'm not too keen on heading back there to be honest.

abthree

09/02/24    Not sure where I would find this information however. They're unreachable by phone and I'm not too keen on heading back there to be honest.     

-@peter10315

I doubt very much that you'll be confronted with a fine when you leave.  If you are, show the officer your Protocolo and tell him/her that you asked at the PF office if you had a fine, and they said "no".

In the unlikely event that  you are, be prepared to pay it when you return, then appeal it.

peter10314

Update: no fine. The border control officer took my passport and protocolo to a supervisor, but came back saying I was free to go. I asked about the situation and he said that I in theory overstayed for over 150 days, but that my protocolo cancelled out the fine. It also basically means I got 150 days of stay for free, because my new visa is valid for a year starting in September, while my first one expired in April.

rocade

@peter10314 Good to hear it's been sorted without further issues. Really appreciate the update! Valuable information for those facing a similar situation

Articles to help you in your expat project in Brazil

• The Working Holiday Visa for Brazil
    The Working Holiday Visa for Brazil

In this article, we will give you all the information you need to organize your Working Holiday Visa trip to ...

• Work permits for Brazil
    Work permits for Brazil

Finding legal work in Brazil can be difficult. But it's possible if you meet certain specific qualifications and ...

• Visas & Other Documents in Brazil
    Visas & Other Documents in Brazil

Documents – aside from the foregoing information you must remember that this is a police state, you are ...

• General visa requirements for Brazil
    General visa requirements for Brazil

Brazil is a huge and diverse country just waiting to be explored. But before you book your hotel and flight, check ...

• Using phones in Brazil
    Using phones in Brazil

It's much easier these days to get a cell phone in Brazil, and phones and calling plans are inexpensive. ...

• Accommodation in Brasilia
    Accommodation in Brasilia

Brasilia, the country's federal capital, is home to many highly-paid government employees and foreign ...

• Marriage in Brazil
    Marriage in Brazil

Brazil can be a romantic country, and you may want to marry here. Perhaps you even want to remain in Brazil ...

• Dating in Brazil
    Dating in Brazil

If you're single and ready to mingle, then you might want to try your hand at dating after you've settled ...

All of Brazil's guide articles