Menu
Expat.com

Retiring in Spain

Last activity 07 October 2024 by gwynj

cherylpconnolly

We've been looking at the possibility of retiring in Spain and so far it seems a win win choice and I'm wondering what the down side could be?

I believe our pensions can be taxed by both the UK and Spanish government, is this true? We are by no means rich.

I have also heard that, as long as we provide an S1 form we get free medical care from day one. Is this true.

Are the Spanish people welcoming? Or resentful of British immigrants?

What is the fresh produce like?

We were thinking of buying a property in the north of Spain (a bit cooler) which are the best areas to look? We would prefer something that didn't need too much work.

Sorry for all the questions

Lmflmf1

@cherylpconnolly

i live bc just north of barcelona in a small fishing village 45 km from

barcelona.  It is perfect to be out or the city yet near by as it is 55 minutes by train.  Message me anytime as i love talking about real  estate!

cheers

Lex

gwynj

@cherylpconnolly

Welcome to the Expat.com Forum and good luck with your potential move!

Spain's a great country with lots of nice places to live. There are no significant downsides that I'm aware of, unless you hate sunshine, beaches, paella... and The Spanish. :-)

I think most of it is hot (a possible downside for some), and I'm not sure it's easy to escape even if you head north to Barcelona/Costa Brava area (which is tip-top as @Lmflmf1 suggests). The coolest is maybe on the other coast (Costa Verde, Bilboa/Santander way), or up in the mountains (Pyrenees, Sierra Nevadas, etc.). The best bet is to accept that summers are very hot, and make sure you have good ACs!

We live further south on the Costa Blanca (Alicante region) in the UNESCO-listed city of Elche. This coast is lovely, and Elche/Alicante (and Valencia) are great options. But REALLY hot in summer, so AC is a must. (AC units are pretty typical in hotter countries like Spain, and can be used for both cooling and heating.)

There is a Dual Taxation Agreement between UK and Spain, so you certainly won't be taxed twice on your pensions. I doubt your tax burden would change much. You should feel better off as property prices are lower, property taxes are MUCH lower, and the cost of living is slightly lower.

Yes, UK pensioners can get an S1 for free (or nearly free) public healthcare in any EU country, including Spain. And Spain has a good healthcare system.

The people, food, culture, coastline, fresh produce are all great. I can't think of anything I would complain about. (Well, maybe the heat, as mentioned, or our electricity bill in summer for running all the ACs.)

As pensioners, you should look at getting an NLV (No Lucrativa Visa) which is very popular and fairly easy.

For property, I suggest Idealista, a very large website with listings all over Spain (from owners and agents, for rent and for sale). Even if you don't use it to buy, it's a great research tool to get an idea of what's available in your price range. You might find your budget will go a lot further if you are guided by lower price regions, rather than fixating on a particular location that might be expensive (Barcelona is the 2nd city, and a very desirable location both in and near the city).

We're in Elche (a city we had never even heard of) because of this price differential. We would have loved to be in Playa San Juan, right on the beach in downtown Alicante... but a similar apartment here (about 20km from ours) would be 5x-10x the price. Luckily, Elche is a lovely city and we like it a lot! :-)

cherylpconnolly

@gwynj thank you so very much for all the info - much appreciated and looking forward to our new adventure

cherylpconnolly

@Lmflmf1 thank you x

parmour

@cherylpconnolly

Hi Cheryl, free health care from day 1 with an S1 is not the case! I have just submitted mine and been advised that the health card will take 2 or 3 months. Until you get the card you're on your own! Either stay healthy, use a valid EHIC or take out short-term private health insurance

cherylpconnolly

Ok thanks. Can you only apply once you have moved or can you apply at the same time as you apply for your visa

parmour

Clearly you need the S1 from the NHS. In addition, you will need your NIE and residency visa whichever you have or are applying for. The Spanish INSS will not progress your application without the visa

gwynj

@cherylpconnolly

First NLV (at Spanish consulate), then residence permit/ID (TIE, in Spain), then register your S1. Your TIE needs your proof of address (padron certificate from your local town hall, based on a property purchase or long term rental) and proof of health insurance (S1 or local private healthcare policy).

Separately, in the UK, apply for your S1 and your EHIC/GHIC before you leave. Might be useful to have the proof of pension letter too.

Save your pennies, pack your sunscreen, leave a note for your milkman/postman. :-)

You can buy a property as a tourist, and use it as a holiday home before you retire, if you wish.

Articles to help you in your expat project in Spain

• Getting married in Spain
    Getting married in Spain

Congratulations! You have found the partner of your dreams and want to get married in Spain. And why not? The ...

• Traveling to Spain
    Traveling to Spain

You're thinking about a new life abroad and all the opportunities it can bring, but before you relocate ...

• Customs in Spain
    Customs in Spain

Before traveling to Spain for your new life abroad, you will need to be aware of the country's ...

• Working in Tenerife
    Working in Tenerife

Are you looking for a job in Tenerife? While there are certainly opportunities, especially for fluent Spanish ...

• Internet in Spain
    Internet in Spain

Whether for work or play or keeping in touch with friends and relatives abroad, getting online will most likely be ...

• Working in the Canary Islands
    Working in the Canary Islands

The Canary Islands is Spain's southernmost autonomous community, an archipelago in the Atlantic Ocean, more ...

• Popular neighbourhoods in Seville
    Popular neighbourhoods in Seville

Once you have decided to make the beautiful city of Seville your home, the next order of business is finding a ...

• Accommodation in Madrid
    Accommodation in Madrid

Madrid, the bustling capital of Spain, is a popular destination for thousands of expatriates each year. With its ...

All of Spain's guide articles