Menu
Expat.com

Residency Card

Last activity 15 October 2024 by JimJ

Kath948381

My card runs out in February of next year when should I go to get it replaced and should I take all the paperwork I had to take last time?

Ozzy183a

Evening, yes take same docs as before with you, they may ask for updated versions too and i expect this will be the case. i suggest go and try to sort it in early jan or even late Dec.

let me know how it goes rgds ozzy

JimJ

I recently got my ten-year permanent residency card: all they wanted to see was my passport and the notary deed of the property where we live. It probably wouldn't hurt to take a bank statement, just in case, but they didn't ask to see one in my case.

Kath948381

Thank you both for your informative replies

VillageLife

I replaced my 5 year residency for the "10 years" a few months ago (brit).

I had to show a bank statement (well actually it was just a page saying I had an account), proof of address and insurance (I had an old EHIC that had one day left!...said they no longer need it to be valid for the whole period of the residency).

I didn't have to provide any evidence of time spent in BG over the last 5 years and seemingly they didn't seem to check any absences, as I haven't been there much.

I was told you could renew a month before it expired, which is what I did because my original EHIC was running out.

Kath948381

Thank you Village life

Kath948381

Do I need to pick up some more forms to fill out again like we did the first time as our address hasnt changed or do I just need to take the stuff that we took in last time with a new bank statement?

VillageLife

@Kath948381

I had to fill out a new form (but it seemed to be the exact same form as last time). Showed bank, EHIC and proof of address.

JimJ

@Kath948381

YMMV - the folks at the different offices seem to make it up as they go along.

I had a form to fill in (you might find it useful to get one in advance if your Bulgarian is a bit shaky) but it's fairly straightforward.

Kath948381

Thank you for your answers

OrientalPlovdiv

I just got my Permanent Residence card last week. The Office has already changed the card format to the latest EU uniformed residence permit card types. (Blue purple colour. The old one was red pink colour.) It is better to have it renewed.

Kath948381

Well I went to the migration office last week but was told it was much too early to collect the forms SK I'll try again in another months time.

VillageLife

@Kath948381

When does your current resident card expire?.

I was told you can renew/apply for new residence up to 1 month before your current card expires.

JimJ

My previous 5-year card was due to expire in August 2026; I renewed it in July of this year and got a 10-year Permanent one in exchange.  This was in Sofia, and no-one raised an eyebrow when I applied.

VillageLife

@JimJ

Wow! And you didn't have any other previous residency cards before the 5 year one?.

OrientalPlovdiv

Mine was done in Plovdiv. First 5 year residence card as EU citizen (Pre-Brexit) in Sep 2019. Exchanged 5 year residence card after Brexit under Article 50 in Sep 2022 (Well I got fined for a small fee because I could not exchange it during covid. Expiry date in 2027). Exchanged 10 year permanent residence under Article 50 in Sep 2024.

I think if your card is 5 year, you can renew it 1 month before the expiry date. But my case is that my 2nd card was already extended before, so the permanent card was renewed weeks after my 5 year period.

JimJ

@VillageLife

TBH, I can't remember.  I spent years living between the UK and BG in the pre-Brexit days, then several years commuting between Sofia and London; no-one ever asked me any questions, and I didn't get around to getting a card until almost the last minute of the WA.

The BG authorities have me registered for so many things under my UK documentation that I didn't, and still don't, see any point rocking the boat by telling them that I'm also an EU citizen. 😄

Articles to help you in your expat project in Bulgaria

All of Bulgaria's guide articles