Question regarding bank account and student residency

Hey there,

I'm a student at the Technical University of Plovdiv, and I am originally from Kosovo (Non-EU). I'm currently here on a type D visa, which will expire on June 22, 2024. As far as I understand, I need to apply for a student residence permit at max by June 7, 2024 (14 days before the expiration).

The issue I'm facing is with my bank. I applied to open an account on May 9, 2024, but I still haven't received any confirmation. Every time I call or visit the branch, they tell me they don't know how long it will take, even though it's been 21 days since I applied. They say they're trying to help, but I'm running out of time.

If my calculations are correct, I don't have much time left to apply for the student residence permit. Is there any way I can start the application process and submit the bank statement later once my account is created? How should I approach this situation?

Thanks for your help!

@Husein Kantarci

Include a bank statement from your home bank, maybe? It's better than nothing, and allows you to submit a complete application. Has your university (or Bulgarian consulate when you got your D visa) told you that a local bank account is required?

Also, you could try to open an account at a different bank just in case they're quicker.

You should also be able to discuss your situation with the university. Usually, they have folks who can advise their foreign students on visa/residence issues.

Plovdiv immigration office is busy, but not entirely unhelpful. If you go with a translator (if your Bulgarian isn't very good yet) you should be able to find someone who can give you the correct application form and confirm what supporting documents are required. There are also some very helpful folks across the street who do this stuff every day (PM me and I can be more specific).

Do you have your rental contract / landlord declaration and local health insurance policy?

If you have money, a local attorney can probably sort this all out for you in a few days (again, PM me if you want me to be more specific).