Menu
Expat.com

Recommendations for areas to live for retirees

Last activity 21 October 2024 by Hood63

kelley21063

Hi All,

My wife and I are selling out and moving to Belize. I've read that there is a large expat community down there. I'd like to ask for some recommendations for areas to live. Both of us are retired and are looking for a laid back community. We love to hear from you with your recommendations... Thanks!

mrfathersir

@kelley21063

Hi,

It really is about what you like, what you can afford, what geography you prefer, along with your needs and limitations.

Belize is not a large and you can get to any of the districts as part of a day trip with relative ease depending on your transportation(air, land, water).

I'd suggest visiting first if you can.

There are expats all over, but you can find lots of them near the beaches(coastal and cayes/islands), on the mainland in the northern area of the country closer to Mexico, in the center near the capital(Belmopan), in the west, and in the south, as well as near the mountains.

Belize is a diverse country. A small melting pot of sorts.

Some areas offer more infrastructure than others(utility access, paved roads, public transportation, larger medical facilities, shopping, etc). While some offer more self sustainable off grid living.

From what I've heard/read you need to be in the country and experience it for an extended period of time. You can find groups on social media for different areas specific to expats.

I know that was a long non-answer, but the answer really depends on you.

Hood63

It depends on the lifestyle you are looking for.

We have a place on the hummingbird highway in stann creek district. Low crime. Centrally located for exploration. We rent one of our houses out. Most people that rent from us are moving to belize or researching where they might want to settle. For more information feel free to contact me at mikronmachineltd@gmail.com we would like to help anyway we can. For pictures and availability just email me.

Mike

Articles to help you in your expat project in Belize

• Using phones in Belize
    Using phones in Belize

Belize has a national telecommunications company, Belize Telemedia, Limited, and several mobile phone companies ...

• Connecting to the internet in Belize
    Connecting to the internet in Belize

Belize enjoys decent internet coverage. Unfortunately it is slow and expensive. The country has many internet ...

• How to drive in Belize
    How to drive in Belize

In Belize, you can drive with an international driver's license, and you can often drive with a license from ...

• Where's the Beef?
    Where's the Beef?

Before visiting Belize to determine if it was a country we could permanently relocate to, we did an awful lot of ...

• Sports in Belize
    Sports in Belize

Sport has always been a part of Belizean life. Although the country does not have a lot in terms of professional ...

• Banking in Belize
    Banking in Belize

Belize was once known to be a real banking haven, a place where banking secrecy was guaranteed. The situation ...

• Childcare and education in Belize
    Childcare and education in Belize

If you are moving to Belize with your family, you likely have questions about child care and education. There are ...

• Customs in Belize
    Customs in Belize

Every country regulates what can and cannot cross its borders to prevent the spread of disease, adhere to local ...

All of Belize's guide articles