Menu
Expat.com

Opinions re best bank account

Last activity 09 October 2024 by moresunplease

moresunplease

We are looking to buy a holiday home in Cyprus, Paphos area.  We need to open a bank account, does anyone have opinions regarding easiest, most cost efficient, branch based and Internet.

Thanks

Toon

@moresunplease

Hellenic is in my opinion a better bank. For both branch and mobile banking ...  But it may depend on where you expect to live and branches available to you

lshill

Hellenic or Bank of Cyprus - got badly bitten by Alpha Bank. You can do part of the process online, then go into the bank and arrange to pick up your card from the branch as it may or may not arrive at your mailing address.  Like in the UK, there are less bank branches now and you need to find a way of getting cash from a machine without having to pay charges. Unlike the UK, most of the cash machines will charge. Yesterday, we had to take out cash in our village as we didn't have a chance to go into Paphos.  ¢40 cash cost me ¢45.25.  However, for most banking we use Revolute and Monzo.  My husband has one and I have the other.  We  usually pay tradespeople, even doctors with revolute here.  I can quickly transfer money  from the UK bank account to my UK card monzo when I need to pay something and it is there within seconds.

Toon

Fintech banking (Revolut Starling Monzo Monese Bunq and the like is an option) but you still need to have a Cyprus bank to satisfy immigration requirements

phildraper

I use Hellenic and they are ok but charge a monthly fee of 1.50 for the current account. Was a real pain to open the account with various visits to the branch and issues with internet banking as I was not automatically authorized to use my own account lol

Electronic transfers from Revolut take 2 hours during opening hours and can take several days if a weekend is involved. The process is rumored to be changed to take seconds but don't hold your breath for that to filter down :-/

Toon

@phildraper

One thing you can bank on is Cyprus banks charging the customer for everything ...it's little wonder they make massive profits

moresunplease

Thank you all very much for all your replies. Kind of what I was expecting, but nice to get the good, bad and the ugly from people who are living in the country.

We will use our starling card for most purchases, just utility direct debits we need to cover.

Toon

Can starling not do that then ... I know revolut can

juliay

Those of you with Revolt etc, do you keep a balance there or only use it for currency conversion?

Toon

I use mine for every day use and have my pensions paid into it and keep a sterling balance in the flexible investment savings product .......and exchange when i need to or when the rate is advantageous... just.enough to keep me going for say a couple of months .....

phildraper

I send money from the UK to Revolut as and when required. Exchange to EURO and then send to Hellenic as I need to show at least 2400 euro per month arriving in Hellenic for the 6 months befor the imigration renewal. I pay the rent, phone/internet, electric, water, council and shopping from a mix of Hellenic and Revolut. I never hold much in Revolut. I had to upgrade to Revolut Premium as I needed to exchange more than 1000 per month for the rent. All my UK income is paid to a UK bank at the moment.

moresunplease

Thanks everyone for your information.  I have shared it with my husband. I must confess I did not realise Starling was a "proper" bank offering direct debits etc as I only use it when abroad.  It is instant with transfers and payments, even on weekends.  So, we will open a Cypriot account for initial property purchase and close it if it turns out not to be needed.

Toon

You will need.the Cyprus bank account  to meet residency requirements if that is part of the plan.... If it's not then you would not need a Cyprus bank account. As you don't need to be resident to buy a property

moresunplease

Residency not in the current plan, Keith actually  says he likes English winters, so holiday home for now.

Thank you all again for your opinions and info.

Articles to help you in your expat project in Cyprus

All of Cyprus's guide articles