Menu
Expat.com

Beneficiary of my Mexican husband's s.s.

Last activity 19 October 2024 by anitamarco

anitamarco

Hello out there🙂 I am new to this site and just thought maybe someone living here in Mexico might be able to help me with an important question about being the beneficiary to a Mexican spouse’s social security? Maybe point me in the right direction? Here’s the issue: I am u.s. citizen married to Mexican citizen and we live in Playa del Carmen. I was previously married, my husband died of cancer in 1994. I took my husband’s name so of course my name is different from my birth certificate. When my current husband went to social security office here with all necessary documents to name me as beneficiary he was told in order for me to be named as such I needed to change my name back to that on my birth certificate so my names matched. What? Has anyone experienced this? I’m having a heck of a time finding straight forward info.

TominStuttgart

Likely you should put this on the Mexican forum.

Sounds strange though, never heard of such a thing and women usually take the husband's name in Mexico and of course spouses die and people marry again. Sounds like a likely miscommunication. For things like residency they would look at the name on your passport. How would they accept that name as proper identification but not accept your name having changed for such a situation. Maybe you would have to prove the former marriage and resulting name change and death certificate to prove things but to expect you change your name back makes no sense. But laws aren't always logical either.

Aidan in HCMC
...I took my husband’s name so of course my name is different from my birth certificate....-@anitamarco

Which husband's name did you take?

anitamarco

Good morning.🙂 My first husband who died in 1994. I have had that name since 1984.

Aidan in HCMC
Good morning.🙂 My first husband who died in 1994. I have had that name since 1984. -@anitamarco

Understood.

Would changing your name to that of your current husband's name help?

anitamarco

@TominStuttgart Good morning. Thanks for reading my post 🙂 You’re right about laws not always being logical. I have since gathered more documentation and a One in Same Person afidavit. I have all the proof possible with all certifications, notarizations, and apostilles as needed. 🤞we’ll see what happens. So what’s going on in your neck of the woods? I’m very new to this site and not entirely sure if this is also a sort of social thing? This is the first time I’ve done this type of thing. This would be considered “social media “? Yeah, I don’t Twit , Tweet, or Facebook. To call me “old school “ is an understatement 😜

anitamarco

@Aidan in HCmc. Good morning ☀️ That would be akin to changing my name back to my maiden name as far as ALL the hoop jumping, $, and time are concerned. I have since rounded up more documentation actually all that I can to prove I am One in the Same person. Got that affidavit too! 🤞will make a difference, but as someone in the forum said, “ laws aren’t always logical “. We’ll see…🤞

Articles to help you in your expat project in Mexico

• Travelling to Mexico
    Travelling to Mexico

Most visitors to Mexico, especially those coming from North, Central, and South America and Europe, do not need a ...

• Retirement in Mexico
    Retirement in Mexico

Do you wish to retire in Mexico? It is, indeed, the dream of thousands of senior citizens across the globe. But ...

• Immigration check!!!!!  Welcome to Arizona, DF
    Immigration check!!!!! Welcome to Arizona, DF

I got stopped by immigration at the North Bus Station in D.F. Friday, after a longer than usual trip from ...

• Dating in Mexico
    Dating in Mexico

We can recognize an intrinsic spark of love in the Mexican culture, "la serenata." Remember that ...

• Leisure activities in Mexico
    Leisure activities in Mexico

Mexico has activities for everyone: from exciting adventure to peaceful relaxation, high culture to rowdy street ...

• Working in Cancun
    Working in Cancun

Cancun and surrounding areas are popular destinations for both tourists and expatriates alike. Cancun is the ...

• Accommodation in Cancun
    Accommodation in Cancun

Like in other parts of Mexico, the best way to find accommodation in Cancun is by searching for one while ...

• Travelling around Mexico
    Travelling around Mexico

One of the best parts about living in Mexico is being able to travel across the country. Mexico may appear small ...

All of Mexico's guide articles