Menu
Expat.com

Head coverings for women

Last activity 31 October 2011 by Calm-guy

syas2011

Hi all I'm due to fly out to Riyadh on Thursday and I am unsure about the head covering.
I wear a head scarf anyway and as a result own many scarves that vary in colour and style, some of which are quite vibrant.
Im wondering if it will be an issue to wear these as I understand we must wear black jilbabs only.
Does the same rule apply for head coverings??

hmm.png

yazeed1

it would be safer if you wear a black scarf at the beginning however it should not be a problem plus a full black Jilbab and all of a sudden you come to a vibrant colorful scarf! that's a little bit harmful to the eye, we don't want to go blind upon your arrival tongue.png

uk1430

sister , you can wear black or any other colour, dont worry ,

SaudiUK

Head scarfs of all colours are acceptable, does NOT have to be black. The Abaya needs to predominately black.

RedGoblin

you are worried for all the wrong reasons! big_smile.png
Welcome to Saudi Arabia.. You will be fine!

Cheers!

wizardofnaz

Hi Syas, when going out, keep an all black scarf in your bag. at times, the strictness level can fluctuate, and you do not want to get caught off guard. it doesnt happen everywhere, usually its in the malls... dunno why it happens!

yazeed1

c is not true in Riyadh and Jeddah and Dammam foreign women are not forced to wear the veil except the abaya
and in the souk People do not worry

wizardofnaz

Sorry Fleur but i was in the granada mall and this Mutawwa came up to a french woman and yelled at her till she covered her head... better to be safe then getting yourself tossed out of the mall.. which happened to my sister cuz she was wearing a purple abaya instead of solid black.

Silver1

I agree with wizardofnaz...there is always a chance (even it's small) to meet Someone from Haia'a who will talk to you then.

itchyfeet24

I'm considering taking a teaching position in Riyadh at a University or Jr. College and I'm wondering how any female would fare not living on a compound. I just assumed I would be and now I'm told if I accept we'll live in regular apartments. Can anyone tell me about that?

TheLegendLeads

Hi @itchyfeet24,

Approx 80-90% of expat women live in apartments outside compounds. For westeners, it's like 10-15%.

SamUSA70

i do not think you need head cover... just wear the black thing only. smile.png sorry i do not what it called. smile.png

wizardofnaz

you should always be prepared to cover your head, just in case you come face to face with a super strict mutawwa, which may happen now that they are upping the strictness again... always carry a scarf in your bag... usually when you talk to them in english and say you dont get what they are saying they will leave you alone and not askyou again... but my cousin tried that once and the guy just called another person to translate.... just whip on the scarf, walk away and then pull it down around your neck!

itchyfeet24

You guys are awesome.I thought I could wear pink or something if I take it. Can anyone skype with me sometime?

itchyfeet24

Hey, one other question. I'm 5'11. Where Stateside can I find one of the dresses I have to wear long enough??? How many do I need to have and why do people wear clothes under them if they have to have it on?

wizardofnaz

which state are you in? you can purchase them online, check ebay search for ¨abaya¨ or Jilbab

wizardofnaz

oh and just buy one to have once you land, then go nuts shopping here, you will find them to be cheaper here as well... unless you have to start work right away then i suggest 3 minimum.

itchyfeet24

I'm pretty sure I'll start work right away. How quickly did you get your Visa. I still need to have the contract reviewed on Monday. Oh, do you live on a compound? Maybe you can invite me to one of your womans events. I was just informed I won't be able to have any men in my room so I guess none of my college male friends can visit. I wanted normally at home.

wizardofnaz

surely you will beinvited smile.png i think you would need 3 to 6 weeks for your visa.

itchyfeet24

I hope it doesn't take that long. They want me there right away. We'll see.

Calm-guy
itchyfeet24 wrote:

I'm considering taking a teaching position in Riyadh at a University or Jr. College and I'm wondering how any female would fare not living on a compound. I just assumed I would be and now I'm told if I accept we'll live in regular apartments. Can anyone tell me about that?

Teaching (ESL) is my life! What are you going to teach? You should know that ESL education is very low here; therefore you should take your students away below their actual level.

Articles to help you in your expat project in Riyadh

• Study in Riyadh
    Study in Riyadh

Saudi Arabia may not be one of the most well-known educational destinations. In fact, a lot of Saudi nationals do ...

• Working in Riyadh
    Working in Riyadh

As the capital city of Saudi Arabia, Riyadh is one of the biggest urban communities in the country and is home to ...

• Buying property in Riyadh
    Buying property in Riyadh

Even though Saudi Arabia has experienced significant changes in the past years, the local real estate market ...

• Compounds in Riyadh
    Compounds in Riyadh

Here is a listing of many (not all) of the compounds in Riyadh along with contact information.

• Things to do in Riyadh alone or with your crowd
    Things to do in Riyadh alone or with your crowd

Riyadh is one of the biggest and most beautiful cities in Saudi Arabia, with quite a bit to offer to expats in ...

• Getting a driver's license in Riyadh
    Getting a driver's license in Riyadh

As mentioned earlier, the purpose of writing the article is to inform expats who arrive in Saudi Arabia, ...

• Developing your social circle in Riyadh
    Developing your social circle in Riyadh

Moving to a new city is never easy, especially if you have chosen to leave your friends and family. Then comes the ...

• Discover Riyadh
    Discover Riyadh

Riyadh is considered the most beautiful city in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia for many reasons, including the ...

All of Riyadh's guide articles