Moving to perth

Hi
we are planning on relocating to Perth in June 2012.
1. which are the better suburbs where good public schools are concerned? My kids are 12, 8 and 6.
2. As we plan to rent initially is it advisable to still bring in furniture? are their storage facilities if so much is the cost? Also what furniture to bring?
3.As a mum  and a teacher should I begin looking for work as soon as I get there or apply before relocating? p/s My husband will be looking for work before me!
Thanks
Ginger

Hi Ginger,

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

I wish you get lots of advice here.

You may have a look at the "Life in Australia" guide.

All the best,
Christine
------
Expat.com team

Hi Ginger, I'm a Perth-ite born and bred. We are currently looking at relocating to Hong Kong for a bit, but I saw your post in here and thought I'd offer my knowledge, so any issues concerns, feel free to ask. In terms of good public schools and good areas to live....depending on your budget, the best suburubs tend to be the Western Suburbs (near the coast) but they are also the most expensive. One thing about Perth is that it's very spread out, so you can certainly get some lovely areas, but they are a fair way out, so it depends on where the job is City ?? or elsewhere, and budget. Two of the best public high schools in Perth are Applecross High School and Rossmoyne Senior High School, both of which are not far from where I live. The areas around here to get into these schools are Applecross, Mount Pleasant, Ardross, Melville, Shelley, Rossmoyne, Como, South Perth. As I said though, these are some of the more expensive areas in the city to live.
In terms of furniture, there are plenty of storage facilities around to store your things if you just want to rent a furnished property instead of moving all your furniture around all the time.
Anyway, if there are any specific questions you have, feel free to message me and I'll help you as much as I can.
Regards
Kitcat78

Hi Kitcat78
Thanks so much for your reply. I guess with the ages of my kids they will be getting into primary as we hope to shift around June 2012. I have some relations over in perth.... one lot says north of Perth Ballajura, Dianella, Ellenbrook, Caversham etc another... says Mount Lawley ... so confused. we are looking at around 450 to 500 pw rent to start off at a good neighbourhood. What would you advise !!! :unsure and then hopefully put a down payment for a house.
How long generally does a landlord  want to rent a house for?

Should we go by our kids schooling  or place of job?
Regards
Ginger