Barbeques

Good evening.  I have been living in Cumbaya for a couple of months now and I have yet to find a GOOD BBQ.  The local hardware store does sell some small charcoal units but they are made of flimsy metal and I am not super keen on charcoal. ( I live on the second floor of an apartment building and even though I am allowed to have a bbq I do not want darken the ceiling of the balcony.)  Does anyone know where I can get a decent, small, well made gas unit?  I would buy a charcoal bbq as long as it was made well and of substantial material.

Thank you and kind regards.
John

I would guess that you would have it custom made. There should be plenty of shops that do this type of work.You might try going to a hardware store and they may recommend someone. Just a thought.

Hi John!  My husband was almost frantic at the thought of having no BBQ down in Ecuador, but I was able to find some in Ibarra at Kiwi (spelling)  the selecton was small and varied eveytime I looked, but I did see gas BBQ's at a not to unreasonable prices.  The problem is that as I said, the selection varied each time I was there and the stock kind of dwindled by late Oct. but I'm sure they could order one in for you.  Surely there must be Kiwi stores in Quito?  I will be back down again in January and this time a BBQ wll be on mylist of must haves, so I hope the selection is back up again.....otherwise, we will have to make due with a charcoal one as what Canadian can live without a BBQ?!?!?!!?

Good luck in your quest!

Deb :top:

Thank you for your reply.  I too have looked into the units at my local Kywi and at the Mega Kywi in Quito.  The selection of small gas units was next to nill at both locations, and it now appears that a charcoal unit will not be allowed on my balcony.  I will keep looking and in the mean time I will have to make good with a "George Foreman" grill, or go out more often.:(