Removal Company Horror Stories

Be warned when you trust a removal company with all your belongings, I did and lost everything in a fire at their warehouse. To make matters worse insurance would not pay out as warehouse was not up to standard or as advertised as safe, secure units but an old metal greenhouse where everybody's stuff was all thrown in together.
Result zero compensation and no refund of advanced payments for delivery, this was to be the start of a much earned retirement which ended in me moving into an empty house without everything I had worked for all my life plus all the things of sentimental value and which are of course irreplacable.

We've moved a couple of times and so far so good. I got the advice to check the list on this site: fidi.org
They are supposed to be trustworthy.

Hello aarenace -> Do not hesitate to recommend the company you used into the France Business directory. ;)

Thank you,
Aurélie

@laura jane Who was the moving company?

That's awful! I feel really sorry for you. I know it won't help at all, but you could try the give-away groups on FB or sites online to find essential items you need while you slowly fill your home as you wish it to be. eg geev.com, donnons.org, jedonne.fr or google site de dons entre particuliers. Sending you the best of luck from here on in... Nicole

I've just noticed your post is from over 10 years ago! So I hope you are all settled now. Having said that, my recommendations may help others in similar situations