American recent university graduate moving to Perth area

Hey all,

Just been tentatively relocated to Newburn (which I've heard is a suburb of Perth, no?) working with an energy field services company.

I have a few questions about the area and am wondering if y'all could help me out a bit!

What are prices like for housing, food, leisure (pub / bar activities)? Comparisons to US would be perfect.

Is recreational ice hockey available at all?

What is the city life like? Mass transportation system? Cultural opportunities (theatre, music, etc.)?

What type of sporting activities are there to attend (rugby, football, etc.)?

What's life like for a young single?

I know it's a lot but I appreciate any advice you can offer!

Thanks so much for all of your help! I'm very excited for this opportunity to live in Australia!

Perth is a big country town where everything is expensive and so is life/entertainment. Perth is an bureaucratic (mining) outpost to manage the west coast - that's it!

Entertainment is limited and no US sports available as far as I know. Young people go beach/pubs binge drinking and frequently violent brawls caused by drugs. Otherwise not much going on. Depending on where you from in the US you may like it :)

Actually I lived there for a few years but that's long ago and things may have changed slightly.

Just find out for yourself :)

brspencer wrote:

Hey all,

Just been tentatively relocated to Newburn (which I've heard is a suburb of Perth, no?) working with an energy field services company.

I have a few questions about the area and am wondering if y'all could help me out a bit!

What are prices like for housing, food, leisure (pub / bar activities)? Comparisons to US would be perfect.

Is recreational ice hockey available at all?

What is the city life like? Mass transportation system? Cultural opportunities (theatre, music, etc.)?

What type of sporting activities are there to attend (rugby, football, etc.)?

What's life like for a young single?

I know it's a lot but I appreciate any advice you can offer!

Thanks so much for all of your help! I'm very excited for this opportunity to live in Australia!

Wow, a lot of negativity from Brisbane! Well, as someone who actually lives here, and has done for nearly 10 years, let me try and be a little more helpful :)

Perth suburbs compared
Rental prices
Perth city life
Mass Transportation system

Currently the Perth International Arts Festival is happening, and next month (March) is Eat Drink Perth - a foodies festival.
There is  baseball, and (US) football - they call it gridiron. In addition to Aussie sports, of course. There is actually a West Australian Ice Hockey Association, with league games. There are 3 rinks in town, as far as I know, I'm certain you could find some pick-up games.
Perth is a great city to live in. There are brawls in the bar districts of Northbridge/Subiaco/Fremantle on the weekends, but that's in every city. Aussies do like to get their drink on. There is so much more to do than beach/binge drinking, as I hope I've shown.
As far as prices, be prepared for sticker shock. The price of pretty much everything is going to be a lot more than you're used to. One last link on the cost of living:
Aussie cost of living
I hope this helps! If you have any more questions, please ask :)
Cheers!

ccbrand wrote:

Wow, a lot of negativity from Brisbane! Well, as someone who actually lives here, and has done for nearly 10 years, let me try and be a little more helpful :)

Perth suburbs compared
Rental prices
Perth city life
Mass Transportation system

Currently the Perth International Arts Festival is happening, and next month (March) is Eat Drink Perth - a foodies festival.
There is  baseball, and (US) football - they call it gridiron. In addition to Aussie sports, of course. There is actually a West Australian Ice Hockey Association, with league games. There are 3 rinks in town, as far as I know, I'm certain you could find some pick-up games.
Perth is a great city to live in. There are brawls in the bar districts of Northbridge/Subiaco/Fremantle on the weekends, but that's in every city. Aussies do like to get their drink on. There is so much more to do than beach/binge drinking, as I hope I've shown.
As far as prices, be prepared for sticker shock. The price of pretty much everything is going to be a lot more than you're used to. One last link on the cost of living:
Aussie cost of living
I hope this helps! If you have any more questions, please ask :)
Cheers!

Thanks so much ccbrand. Much appreciated. The last link was most helpful! Hopefully I'll be able to buy you a beer when I get in to town.

Cheers!

brspencer wrote:

Thanks so much ccbrand. Much appreciated. The last link was most helpful! Hopefully I'll be able to buy you a beer when I get in to town.

Cheers!

No worries, glad to help...us Yanks have to stick together ;)

Hey BR,

I moved to Perth from the states about 6 months ago for a 2 year gig.  I have found it pretty interesting so far (and really expensive!)...the ocean is nice and the trees/plants/birds etc are pretty neat.  I also brought my ice hockey equipment, but I haven't made it out to any rinks yet (don't have a car). I did get Foxtel (cable TV) so I an watch the NHL here and there :) 
There are a few differences that take some getting used to, but if you are working a lot, it won't matter too much.  The Aussies do like lots of beauracracy (rules, forms to fill out, fees to pay), that is one thing I noticed when I got here.  Nice weather tho.  I went to a Perth Glory soccer game recently...that was pretty fun. 
Hope this helps.  When do you get in to town?
Cheers

Tentatively around July / August. Just in time for the new NHL season to start up. Ha.

Definitely keep in touch when I get there.