Menu
Expat.com

Moving to Sau Paulo

Last activity 25 May 2012 by lazboys

lazboys

I live in the US and will be moving to Brazil for a one year project with my company. I wanted to learn more about the culture, indians living in the area, US and Indian stores near Barueri Sao Paulo.

I have a lot of questions about everything from food to safety to travel, but will not put it all here.

Any help will be greatly appreciated

Thanks

James

Hi and welcome to São Paulo. If you haven't already done so you should read my postings "A Gringo's Survival Guide for Brazil" and "The High Cost of Living in São Paulo - How to economize". I think you will find most of the questions you want to ask are covered there. If you have anything further all you need to do is ask.

Cheers,
William James Woodward - Brazil Animator, Expat-blog

lazboys

Thanks for the reply.  where can i find this guide
Thanks

Harmonie

Hi lazboys, here are the links >

A Gringo's Survival Guide to Brazil.

&

High cost of living in SP and how to economize.wink.png

Harmonie.

davi da silva

Hello, am a brazilian who resides in nigeria but have never travelled to brazil.hmm it is amazing, my dad is from ceara he never new he had a son back here,am making plans to go search for him but my mum wants me to stay back and continue my education.my uncle whom has live in brazil with my dad on his arrival said alot about my dad.he showed me pictures which they took together but suddenly he does not want to help me again simply because my mum says he is the one who should look for us.though he has been gone for without calling or sending us letters,even my uncle when he was away we never heared from him and all he said was that he lost contact.may be my dad has his own reason,am just not myself some one should help me with a guide,i will appreciate it thanks.

lazboys

Thanks Harmonie for sharing the links.

These guides have a lot of information about Sau Paulo and simplifies our expectations about living and safety in Brazil.
Its a little scary to know about the extent of precautions needed to be safe.

I am planning to move here with my wife and 2 small kids.. so its a major concern for me.
Mr Woodward, how is the area around Tambore, Barueri like.. Is it like a suburb of Sau Paulo. Is it much safer than the main city.

Please advice.

Thanks

James

Actually the area around Tambore and Barueri is much better than in the city. In fact, Barueri has been voted one of the best Brazilian cities to live in. Tambore has many nice shopping centers and mega-stores as well as being a large industrial/commercial area. You will love it for sure.

Cheers,

lazboys

Thats awesome ..
Hope all works well.

James

Well it's not exactly NEWARK but you will love it I'm sure. LOL

lazboys

Woodward, Harmonie.. Do you know of any mosques in the area or halal meat stores or someone that can help me find these(these are some basic requirements for a muslim to practice their religion).

babibarbie

lazboys

Im brazilian living in US since 2006 and to be honest to you, I would be more scary to live in NY than Sao Paulo. Im from Sao Paulo and in 25 years living there I never saw any violence or robber. Of course depends what part of the city you will go, like any another big city. I have heard that in Boston hs some metra stations that a few ppl take risk to go (I never benn there but I have a lot friends living there). So, dont be scary. I would love to come back with my family to live in SP. There have a lot nice schools for kids (I studied in a french school, Liceu Pasteur, for a long time of my life), a lot things to do, a lot malls, a lot parks...but unfortunally my husband is american and he doesnt speak Portuguese, so would be hard to him finding a job there. But always we can, we go back to Brazil and me, specially my kids (a daughter of 4 and a son of 2 years old) doesnt want to come back to US and miss the food terrible.

You will be just fine and Im sure you will love Sao Paulo!

James

Hi,

There are a number of halal certified restaurants and butcher shops in the Pari bairro (neighborhood) in São Paulo. If you are looking for the area on the map it is directly across the Rio Tietê from Marte Air Base. The two butcher shops that I could find are Abu Ali, Rua Barão de Ladário, 927 , tel. 3227-3535 and Zellaya, Rua Rodrigues dos Santos, 687, tel. 3326-8451.

Since São Paulo has a fairly substantial Muslim population I would presume there are a number of mosques in the area to chose from. You would have to get the most accurate information on that subject from an Expat-blog member who is also of your faith. I have no idea if you would be able to find a mosque in Barueri, but I doubt it. Welcome to Expat-blog and to Brazil anything we can do you help facilitate your adaptation to your new home please let us know.

Cheers,

lazboys

Thanks all ..
This is of great help.
Mr Woodward .. thanks for the reply. I really appreciate your help on this.

Articles to help you in your expat project in São Paulo

• Accommodation in Brasilia
    Accommodation in Brasilia

Brasilia, the country's federal capital, is home to many highly-paid government employees and foreign ...

• Marriage in Brazil
    Marriage in Brazil

Brazil can be a romantic country, and you may want to marry here. Perhaps you even want to remain in Brazil ...

• Accommodation in Rio de Janeiro
    Accommodation in Rio de Janeiro

With an official population of about seven million people, and almost twice that number in the metro area, Rio de ...

• Accommodation in São Paulo
    Accommodation in São Paulo

São Paulo is Brazil's largest city by far. It offers a wide variety of accommodations with different ...

• Accommodation in Brazil
    Accommodation in Brazil

Brazil is a vast and diverse country, so it should come as no surprise that there are a variety of lodging options ...

• Accommodation in Salvador de Bahia
    Accommodation in Salvador de Bahia

Salvador, the capital of the state of Bahia and Brazil's first colonial capital, is a world-known tourist ...

• Working in Curitiba
    Working in Curitiba

Curitiba attracts many foreigners, who come both for work and because Curitiba offers a high standard of living. ...

• Working in Rio de Janeiro
    Working in Rio de Janeiro

Rio de Janeiro is Brazil's largest commercial center after São Paulo. With a diversified economy, it ...

All of Sao Paulo's guide articles