Menu
Expat.com

Hanging out in SP...

Last activity 15 October 2012 by Harmonie

Tamzinha

Hi everyone

I am new to SP and hoping to meet some other expats/ Brazilians, to practise my terrible-but-improving Portuguese on, to hang out for drinks, maybe catch some live music, and get to know this amazing city... generally have some fun.

This week... Bourbon Street Jazz Festival sounds fun?

Cheers!

James

Hi Tammy,

Welcome to Expat-blog and to Brazil. You will love São Paulo for sure, there's so much to see and do. I am a Canadian who has been living in Brazil for over ten years now, many of them in São Paulo. I have just recently moved to Macaé - RJ, which is my wife's hometown.

Anything you need to know about Brazil and São Paulo you will be able to find out in my posts at the top of the first Brazil Forum page. If you need anything else just ask.

First thing you will want to do, if you haven't already done so, is stop off at the nearest Casa Lotérica or one of the bus loops (terminal) and buy a Bilhete Único (pass) keep it topped up with credits so you can get the most out of the transit system. It will allow you to use the buses, CPTM trains and the Metrô. It also allows transfers between buses and trains which cash fares do not. Use both Google Maps and the SPTrans website to plan routes. SPTrans doesn't always give the shortest route between two points so Google helps out on that score. Once you get used to the system then using Google Maps you can probably cut quite a bit from your travel time.

I'm sure you will make lots of new friends here on Expat-blog and of course you will meet many new people every day in São Paulo. It's a very easy place to make friends.

Cheers,
William James Woodward - Brazil Animator, Expat-blog

Tamzinha

Hi William

Thanks for your kind message (massively helpful too!), I am enjoying this crazy city so far but am keen to get out and meet some people.

Thanks again, and I will check out your other posts too.

Cheers, Thamsin

oitoemeio

hi Tamzinha.

i've just arrived to São Paulo, also, and although i'm portuguese and not needing to improve my portuguese (maybe train the accent), it would be great to get to know people here.

Tamzinha

Hi there

Great, I have messages your inbox, hope to meet up maybe next week?

Cheers, Thamsin

emilie116

Hi Tamzinha!

I'm French Canadian but trilingual (portuguese/english/french) and I know only French speaking or Portuguese speaking people in SP. I would be very happy to have someone to keep my english up-to-date too! I saw you were coming from England and I worked there couple of years ago, just absolutely love the accent!

I will arrive in Brazil in the next few weeks, if you want we can meet up after my arrival smile.png

Émilie

Tamzinha

Hey Emilie, drop me a message when you arrive, we can make a plan.

Cheers, Thamsin

bety.andrade

Hi Tamzinha!

Im Brazilian and I love to meet new people.

Let me know if you want to meet up.

This is my email

Cheers

MFlor77

Hi Tamzinha im new here as well speak both English and Portuguese looking to meet and make friends as well! nice to meet you!

Tata_30

Hello, how are you?
I lived abroud for almost 4 years so i really know how its to be an expat!
I would love to improve my english skills and if you want i can teach you some portuguese as well.
Take care
Tamara

MFlor77

sounds good.  i speak it pretty well, i learned portugese first english second but we can definetly improve your english skills! im going to be giving lessons to my brothers and cousins here in S.P. took a TESOL course in the U.S. before coming here. let's meet up at some point for sure.

Sebastienderose

Bom dia.
Eu sou francês mas cheguei esta semana para morar em Sampa. Busco amigos para ir no Club do Jazz.
Seb.

Harmonie

@Seb, could you please post in English in this Anglophone forum?

Thanks,
Harmonie.wink.png

Articles to help you in your expat project in São Paulo

• Accommodation in Brasilia
    Accommodation in Brasilia

Brasilia, the country's federal capital, is home to many highly-paid government employees and foreign ...

• Marriage in Brazil
    Marriage in Brazil

Brazil can be a romantic country, and you may want to marry here. Perhaps you even want to remain in Brazil ...

• Accommodation in Rio de Janeiro
    Accommodation in Rio de Janeiro

With an official population of about seven million people, and almost twice that number in the metro area, Rio de ...

• Accommodation in São Paulo
    Accommodation in São Paulo

São Paulo is Brazil's largest city by far. It offers a wide variety of accommodations with different ...

• Accommodation in Brazil
    Accommodation in Brazil

Brazil is a vast and diverse country, so it should come as no surprise that there are a variety of lodging options ...

• Accommodation in Salvador de Bahia
    Accommodation in Salvador de Bahia

Salvador, the capital of the state of Bahia and Brazil's first colonial capital, is a world-known tourist ...

• Working in Curitiba
    Working in Curitiba

Curitiba attracts many foreigners, who come both for work and because Curitiba offers a high standard of living. ...

• Working in Rio de Janeiro
    Working in Rio de Janeiro

Rio de Janeiro is Brazil's largest commercial center after São Paulo. With a diversified economy, it ...

All of Sao Paulo's guide articles