Milan English Speaking Jobs

Hi I'm new to the expat. I'm interested in moving to milan. I currently speak English and Japanese but I am interested in what the Jobs are like for Teaching English. Is it difficult to get an English teaching job without speaking Italian? Any help is appreciated.

Hi Brealana and welcome to Expat.com!

Hope that other members will share their experience with you soon.;)

Harmonie.

Speaking italian shouldn't be an issue if you are teaching, although you will have to start out with higher level classes because low levels will not understand enough English to follow your instructions.
do you have a Tefl qualification? most decent schools will require a celta or something and some may require a degree (any subject)
indecent schools will hire anyone with a pulse and a passable accent.
hours are generally unsociable because people want to do courses in the evening.
pay is about 15€ per hour but in Milan it may be higher.
Doing private conversation lessons will earn you more (in black) and you can get started on the local gumtree/craigslist or through word of mouth.

another alternative is working as a lettore (english conversation assistant) in high schools. but you would have to get on a graduatoria (list of teachers) in the province before being offered a job. otherwise you can present an english conversation project at a high school or middle school as a private initiative (but you will need an english teacher at the school to support you in presenting the project).

and then there are VISA issues.

good luck.
W

Thank you for the information WilliamK. Visa won't be an issue as I am getting dual citizenship for Italy in a few months. I haven't taken a Tefl course yet but was thinking about doing that. I think I should considering what you have said. Did you teach English in Italy? Do you know how long it takes to find a job? I will be going to visit there first to try to find a job and then plan on moving a month after that visit.

Hi! Did you have any luck? I'm sounding out the idea of coming to Milan (from the UK) and don't really have Italian language skills as yet. I am in IT but would be prepared to look at something else too.

Kiwi

Good afternoon All,
my name is Kasia and I am from Poland. I am currently searching for a job in Milano to join my boyfriend, but so far it is very diffucult to find anything as I do not speak Italian at all.
Could anyone perhaps give any hints on how to look for a job, any websites, headhunters etc... Also, from your own expierience: how long were you looking for a job and have you done it based already in Italy? I am so afriad to leave my current job in POland and move to Milano when I do not have a job found. I would be happy to hear how all of this looked like from your side .

Thank you so much, I will appreciate any help.

Kasia