Menu
Expat.com

uhm.. singers, guitar players ?

Last activity 14 May 2012 by Mr. Santa

Mr. Santa

Hi all,

I arrived to bangkok about 15 days ago, and looking for some friends over here. I'll be staying for 6 months before going back home to renew/change my visa since I'm on a tourist one now, though probably I'll return again. It all depends on what happens in these first 6 months, i'm trying to settle in.

Anyway.. I played a guitar back home, electric mostly, even had a "band" of sorts, and I really like playing. I'm thinking of buying some ... cheap-ish acoustic here, and looking for a rhythm guitar/singer just to mess around mostly, nothing serious. Eventually if it goes well, and we perfect 15-20 songs, we could play somewhere in a bar, although that would be just for fun only, for now .. just play a few tunes, drink some beer.. and such.

What I like to play is mostly blues, rock, blues-rock, from beatles, rolling stones, led zeppelin, pink floyd, to black keys rhcp etc., some reggae too is alright.

Sorry for a bit longer post. You can contact me here or via email if interested - sasa[at]LPwireless.net

LuisF

Hi mate, welcome to thailand. While I play a little bit the harmonica, I always been surrounded by people who could play the various instruments. However in Thailand I found it difficult to find any at all. The person I use to know that sang preaty well is leaving thailand for good, so its a pity i wont be able to introduce you.
In any case, careful with playing in bars and etc, since you need a special visa for that, thats why u wont see any farang buskers in thailand and neither farang bands around. Only dj's mostly.
You can play the guitar and sing in a couple bars, but just for a  song or two not for any longer than that or you can put at risk the owner of the bar and yourself if police enters the stablishment.
But, its not prohibited however to just play the guitar with some friends while drinking beers or so. Just make sure nobody gives you money for it.
It is a very delicate thing here aparently. I know this because I wanted to make open mic nights but i couldnt for this legal reasons unfortunately.

Mr. Santa

Hi Luis, thanks for the welcome. Yeah I know it's considered working, but I'm wondering, what if I did it for no money ?
I suppose that would still be unacceptable from the thai state perspective.

I reckoned that there are whole lot of musician types here in BKK, considering the number of expats living here.

Articles to help you in your expat project in Bangkok

All of Bangkok's guide articles