Menu
Expat.com

Moving to Amman this month

Last activity 12 July 2012 by umm jacoub

ajd

Hi there, My partner and I will be moving from Wales to Amman on the 29th of June. She has signed a contract to work with a company and will be working from an office in City Mall.

First of all, will we have lots of choice in terms of renting an apartment...(budget 500 JOD a month)? any advice anyone?

I am a qualified TEFL teacher...but without a degree....Will I be able to find teaching work? private tuition or in a language school?
I will be given a residency, but no work permit. Will I be able to obtain a work permit?

Ive heard that expats have to own 'newish' cars by law... is this really the case?  Will I be able to find a decent used car for around 5000 JOD?

I love to play Squash, football and rugby, if anyone else here does, would love to play sometime. Or if anybody has information on local clubs I can join.

Many thanks all, hope to meet some of you soon!

a_alnahar

first i want to tell you welcome to jordan,and you can find an appartment within your budget,but regarding the car you can find car but it will not be new it will be like 97-98.
if there is any thing you want to ask about just just send msg.

ajd
DoveOmeri wrote:

Gosh! I wish there was a law that said I had to own a new car! lol (not laughing at you,just thought it was too cute to pass up commenting on)                                                               WELCOME TO JORDAN!!

What i heard was that Expats have to have cars that arent older than 5 years.....  cane you confirm that this ISNT true please?

many thanks indeed!  smile.png

ajd

Any news Dove?
another thing you might be able to help me with...If I obtain an international driving permit to accompany my British Drive license, Will I be legally allowed to drive in Jordan

Ive asked the embassy, but they are useless at replying to emails!

Mismar

[Moderated: Post in housing section please]

Mismar

Hey Dove
i really don't know much about driving licences in Jordan for foreigners and how they can obtain one to be honest.

Mismar

hey AJD
why don't you try going to the Royal Automobile Club and ask them as they know everything about driving and about liciences.
As for teaching Tofel, you can place an add in a weekly called AL Waseet which is situated on Mekka street off of Abdullah Gosheh street and you would have people interested calling you or you can place it online on their webpage but few look at it..it's better to go to the site .

ajd

Thanks Mismar....will place an add there once im in Amman and settled in.

dukeofdragons

@ AJD

The rule is right , Expats cannot own a car older than 5 years ,
Even if you want to buy a car within 5 years age you need to find a car and with the owner of the car you need to apply for an prior approval to buy the car , if its approved you can buy it the whole process takes up to 3 weeks once you have submitted your application .

You can drive in Jordan with international license but only rented cars the privately owned cars are not allowed to be driven with the international license.

You cannot find a decent car with in the 5 years age with you limit of JOD 5 K , It will cost a minimum of 7 - 8 K JOD .

I am an expat living in Jordan for the past 2 years and have gone through all this hassles .

SumofMind

That's strange. I have expat friends who drive cars that are older than 5 years old and I'm 100% sure of that.

Like someone said before: Plenty of apartments to find with your budget.

And for teaching languages: Do you have a Uni degree beside your TEFL? If yes, they would accept you at schools, if they are not looking for teachers with American accent.

Welcome to Jordan smile.png

ajd

wow....thanks for all your help guys! 

Sumofmind - I don't have a degree unfortunately, I really hope this wont prohibit me from finding TEFL work....even if I need to volunteer to begin just to 'get my foot in the door.'

In terms of the buying a car....I will just wait and see what happens!

http://www.bhomes.com/jordan/residentia … 4263.xhtml

just seen this...it fits our budget and close to the office. Hopefully will view this property first. Has anybody dealt with this estate agents?

many thanks!

SumofMind

I haven't dealt with betterhomes themselves, but my overall experience with estate agents is really bad.

Take a look here: http://www.expatriates.com/classifieds/ … available/
You might find something you like.

I don't know from your nickname if you're male or female, but if you're female there's a group for female expats in Amman on Yahoo groups. Sometimes people are looking for natives to help their children with their English.

ajd

I'm a male!   I will do all I can to find work when I arrive. Many thanks for our suggestions.

why has your experience with estate agents been so bad? if you don't mind me asking?

SumofMind

Well, whenever I find an advertisement for an apartment in the newspaper, I call them and - every time - the apartment is not available anymore but they guarantee me that they have other apartments that I'll like. They just care to take your money - mostly 10 JD - but don't offer good services at all. After taking your money, they promise that they'll call when something comes up that's according to my wish and I never hear of them again. That happened with 3 estate agents so far.

People also say that the advertisements placed in "Al Waseet" - advertisement news paper - by estate agents are scams. Most of the time the apartments are not existing but they are just posting it to have people calling them and lead them to other apartments.

Hypertyper

I have a friend who is selling his car for around 6000, i can put you in contact with him if you want.

umm jacoub
savannah80 wrote:

Hi ajd. I imagine that by now you will have arrived in Jordan so welcome, i'm British and so far have had no luck in finding a job here in Amman. As for the roads well even I wouldn't attempt to drive on them lol people just push their way in with no regard for endangering life. Thankfully my husband (Jordanian) does all the driving. I find that the prices here are way over the top on a lot of things but in general it is much cheaper to eat healthy foods as fruit & veg are very cheap especially if you buy from the roadside traders. I find that beside shopping there is not much to do unless you are into travelling and sightseeing, it can become very boring. but all in all don't let my comments put you off as the people are fantastic and very welcoming, the food is great and the shawerma take aways are the best. have fun and good luck in finding a job.

Can't agree more with you Savannah... someone did mention that English teachers are in demand but I doubt so. Even if there are positions available they'll pay peanuts or they'd rather employ local Jordanians. Things are expensive yes..considering average household income is about 400JD.

Articles to help you in your expat project in Amman

All of Amman's guide articles