Menu
Expat.com

Anyone up?

Last activity 30 July 2012 by Hitch

extreem101

I cannot seem to sleep tonight. I have been in Riyadh for 2 and 1/2 months. It is boring.

Alliecat
extreem101 wrote:

It is boring.

Yeah--welcome to the Kingdom wink.png

Freshlikesushi

Blame yourself

My next three weekends are booked with plans

Maya Maya
Freshlikesushi wrote:

Blame yourself

meanie

Maya Maya

It will get better extreem101!

Freshlikesushi

only gets better if you make it better.

There are guys on the compound that just sit in their rooms. It is their own fault. there are tons of people wanting to do things, just haev to make an effort to do them

Maya Maya
Freshlikesushi wrote:

There are guys on the compound that just sit in their rooms. It is their own fault. there are tons of people wanting to do things, just haev to make an effort to do them

True smile.png

dynamo1131
Freshlikesushi wrote:

It is their own fault. there are tons of people wanting to do things, just haev to make an effort to do them

one.png

seeker of truth
Freshlikesushi wrote:

True!!!
Its a choice! You stay happy or stay bored!big_smile.pngbig_smile.pngbig_smile.png

extreem101

Hi All,

It is true, we own our destiny. But sometimes, we all need someone to lean on. It is the nature of life.

We come to this world through the love of people (spouses) and our happiness become more joyful when we share them with family, friends and the loved ones; our sadness become less burdensome when we can share them with someone we can trust; even when we depart this life we need people. You know what I mean.

We cannot live without people and at times we all need someone to lean on -  it is the nature of life. And technology (like this forum) makes it easier to connect with people - to left one another.

Cheers,

Extreem101

Freshlikesushi

While i do agree with you.  Normally people with 3 posts dont spill their worldly problems to a bunch of strangers.  Share it with your wife, or family. 

While technology makes it easier to complain, doesn't mean you should take advantage of it without taking other measures first (I.E. so it doesnt look like you signed up for the forum just to complain)

extreem101

Freshlikesushi

I did not think I spilled my worldly problems by simply saying I could not sleep, and living for new arrivals in KSA can be boring.

And no I did not sign up to complain. It seems we  have different views on things. Your comments seem harsh in nature and judgmental. At the end of the day, you are entitled to your opinions. And honestly, I am not sure how the comments you make would earn you friendship. A commodity only appreciated by a few wise people.

ghanshyampdave

Hi extreem101, welcome to the Blog, call it EB.

Hope you dint choose your username on this blog based on the kind of life you are having here. tongue.png

I agree with the others, you should join a club or take up a hobby.

And, nobody is harsh / judgemental. Just face it.
Enjoy the witty answers on the blog and have fun. wink.png

Freshlikesushi
extreem101 wrote:

Freshlikesushi

I did not think I spilled my worldly problems by simply saying I could not sleep, and living for new arrivals in KSA can be boring.

And no I did not sign up to complain. It seems we  have different views on things. Your comments seem harsh in nature and judgmental. At the end of the day, you are entitled to your opinions. And honestly, I am not sure how the comments you make would earn you friendship. A commodity only appreciated by a few wise people.

I base friendship on people with likewise ideals and drive

Your first post should have been

Is anyone awake?  Im bored and tryign to find a club or group that does "insert random activity that you enjoy here"   Any help?

then you would get a different response
Self pitty is lost on those that dont belong in KSA

Alliecat
ghanshyampdave wrote:

Actually sometimes people are harsh.  I know I am sometimes.  And I think sushi has been in his replies to extreem (tough love? lol).

The reason for this, I think, is that we all have had the same struggles here in KSA, but some of us take a more pragmatic approach and we don't know why others can't or don't do the same.

Now, my adjustment in KSA has been good but in the beginning I was freaking out at all the talk of 'network, network' because my experience with networking is a bunch of people exchanging information based on nothing other than the fact that they might somehow be of use to each other at some point.  That absolutely is NOT who I am. 

So I decided to be who I am and set out to make a few good friends based on liking them and having things in common, no frantic rushing around to attend events or parties.  When I get together with my friends, it's wonderful.  Otherwise I keep myself occupied with other things like going to the gym, reading, filling in job applications (lol), etc.

So my advice to you, my friend, is to decide who you are and how you operate and take it from there.  And remember, nobody is going to come knocking on your door.  If you DO want a wide circle of acquaintances, you have to go out and meet them.  First step would have been iamthere's bowling party.  Did you go?

Good luck smile.png

khuramluck
Alliecat wrote:
ghanshyampdave wrote:

Actually sometimes people are harsh.  I know I am sometimes.  And I think sushi has been in his replies to extreem (tough love? lol).

The reason for this, I think, is that we all have had the same struggles here in KSA, but some of us take a more pragmatic approach and we don't know why others can't or don't do the same.

Now, my adjustment in KSA has been good but in the beginning I was freaking out at all the talk of 'network, network' because my experience with networking is a bunch of people exchanging information based on nothing other than the fact that they might somehow be of use to each other at some point.  That absolutely is NOT who I am. 

So I decided to be who I am and set out to make a few good friends based on liking them and having things in common, no frantic rushing around to attend events or parties.  When I get together with my friends, it's wonderful.  Otherwise I keep myself occupied with other things like going to the gym, reading, filling in job applications (lol), etc.

So my advice to you, my friend, is to decide who you are and how you operate and take it from there.  And remember, nobody is going to come knocking on your door.  If you DO want a wide circle of acquaintances, you have to go out and meet them.  First step would have been iamthere's bowling party.  Did you go?

Good luck smile.png

Good idea....

acef
Alliecat wrote:
ghanshyampdave wrote:

Good luck smile.png

agree with you alliecat... so is there another party coming so I may not be bored??? LOL!

extreem101

Hello All,

It is interesting to see divergent responses based on one sentence. Of course all using their own lenses, their experiences in live if you will. Living in Saudi has not caused me a great deal of difficulty. In fact I have traveled and lived in over 6 countries. And I have no issues making friends and enjoying their company in this great country KSA.

I appreciate everyone's opinions and sincerity and commemorator of those who shared their experiences of living in KSA.

Cheers,

Extreem101

ghanshyampdave
extreem101 wrote:

Hello All,

It is interesting to see divergent responses based on one sentence. Of course all using their own lenses, their experiences in live if you will. Living in Saudi has not caused me a great deal of difficulty. In fact I have traveled and lived in over 6 countries. And I have no issues making friends and enjoying their company in this great country KSA.

I appreciate everyone's opinions and sincerity and commemorator of those who shared their experiences of living in KSA.

Cheers,

Extreem101

That's the spirit. This place can do wonders to any ordinary person smile.png

Johar

Life is not what other give opinions.

Life is how you take it not how you see it.

Get up and enjoy. there are many things to do in KSA

Hitch
Freshlikesushi wrote:

Blame yourself

i admire your way of life .

Articles to help you in your expat project in Riyadh

• Study in Riyadh
    Study in Riyadh

Saudi Arabia may not be one of the most well-known educational destinations. In fact, a lot of Saudi nationals do ...

• Working in Riyadh
    Working in Riyadh

As the capital city of Saudi Arabia, Riyadh is one of the biggest urban communities in the country and is home to ...

• Buying property in Riyadh
    Buying property in Riyadh

Even though Saudi Arabia has experienced significant changes in the past years, the local real estate market ...

• Compounds in Riyadh
    Compounds in Riyadh

Here is a listing of many (not all) of the compounds in Riyadh along with contact information.

• Things to do in Riyadh alone or with your crowd
    Things to do in Riyadh alone or with your crowd

Riyadh is one of the biggest and most beautiful cities in Saudi Arabia, with quite a bit to offer to expats in ...

• Getting a driver's license in Riyadh
    Getting a driver's license in Riyadh

As mentioned earlier, the purpose of writing the article is to inform expats who arrive in Saudi Arabia, ...

• Developing your social circle in Riyadh
    Developing your social circle in Riyadh

Moving to a new city is never easy, especially if you have chosen to leave your friends and family. Then comes the ...

• Discover Riyadh
    Discover Riyadh

Riyadh is considered the most beautiful city in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia for many reasons, including the ...

All of Riyadh's guide articles