Menu
Expat.com

US resident with US/UK citizenships looking to move to England

Last activity 13 August 2012 by Joanne_UK

sirmikealot

New member here and looking for some help for some possible future plans.

So I'm going to start with a little back story. I was born in London and lived there for 5 years. I moved to the US because of my dad's business and have been living here for the past 15 years. I have a dual citizenship like I mentioned and I want to take advantage of it. I was recently going to a university here but for financial reasons won't be returning in the fall. I have been considering this option of living and working in England for quite some time but now it's closer to a reality.

I have googled a bunch of different things on trying to get a job and housing in England for a dual citizen but had no luck. I figured a British forum would be a next step.  I have multiple family friends in London that I have known since I was a baby. I also have a couple of friends that go to UCL. I was thinking about talking to them to see what they think but I haven't talked to the family friends in a while.

Basically I am looking for some advice on what should be my next steps on becoming a working citizen in England(preferably London) with a decent place to live.

Thanks in advance,
Michael Hill

Armand

Hi Michael !

Welcome to Expat.com!

Armand

sirmikealot

Nobody has any information for me?

Anything would be helpful

thanks

Harmonie

up.png

Joanne_UK

Hi Michael,

As you are a British citizen you will not require any work visa so that make things more easy for you !
My advice would be:
Before moving to England save as much money as possible as you will need it, London is very expensive !
Get your British passport if you do not have one (you will need to use it when you will enter the UK, do not enter on your American passport !)
Research the type of jobs that are currently available and create a CV (do a search on google to see how CV are done here in the UK).  There is no point applying for jobs until you are in the UK as most employers will not be interested.
Bring all your documentation with you, you may require this later (things like Education records/certificate, birth certificate, etc..) and sort out anything that you need to do before you go (taxes, etc..)
Next thing is accomodation: the easiest would be to stay with a friend/family until you find a job. If this is not possible you could book either a hotel room or youth hostel for a few weeks then once here, you could try to find a room (to share).
You will not have any help from the government as you have been out of the UK for too long so it is up to you to find work and pay for accomodation.
Once you find work you will need a NIN (National Insurance Number). It might be difficult for you to open a bank account until you have a job and you will not ne able to get any credit cards for a while so it is better to have one from the USA before you leave.
I hope this helps a bit?

Joanne

Articles to help you in your expat project in England

All of England's guide articles