Retiring to Scotland

I am a retired American who would love to move to Scotland for a few years, but, was told by the Immigration Dept of Great Britain that retired Americans were not allowed to move anywhere in Great Britain ... any suggestions?

No one from outside the European Union is allowed to retire to the UK - it's not in Britain's interest. However, you could stay in the UK for 6 months/year as a tourist but you would need travel/health insurance as you would not be covered by the NHS. I think that's the best you could do realistically.

This is a great shame that its not easier to retire in GB as there are so many idyllic places to retire in, but it remains a great place to visit for people of all ages!

If you leave after six months when can you go back?

If you leave after six months when can you go back?

-@Kcmkcm

6 months

It would depend on how long you can reside outSide your country  before losing privileges such as citizenship or healthcare  Check with US immigration 

The UK has a very comprehensive site on visas and immigratiin for you to find accurate info  As a Canadian i do not need a visitors visa if i am staying in the UK for more than 3 weeks but i believe US citizens do need a visitors visa for a 6 month stay  Rules are changing all the time so best check with the authoritive source.  it could be 6 months within each calendar year but you need to refer to the rules at gov.co.uk/immigration.  Hope this helps 

It would depend on how long you can reside outSide your country  before losing privileges such as citizenship or healthcare  Check with US immigration 
The UK has a very comprehensive site on visas and immigratiin for you to find accurate info  As a Canadian i do not need a visitors visa if i am staying in the UK for more than 3 weeks but i believe US citizens do need a visitors visa for a 6 month stay  Rules are changing all the time so best check with the authoritive source.  it could be 6 months within each calendar year but you need to refer to the rules at gov.co.uk/immigration.  Hope this helps 

-@Seajenani21

US citizens are in the same category as Canadians with regard to visa requirements (i.e. neither of you need a visa to visit the UK for tourism, business or a short stay up to 6 months duration).  The UK does not offer retirement-style visas to any nationality.

I hope this helps.

Cynic

Expat Team

you need to refer to the rules at gov.co.uk/immigration.  Hope this helps 

-@Seajenani21

Thats not a UK government website. The domain is www.gov.uk and the immigration info is https://www.gov.uk/browse/visas-immigration