Menu
Expat.com

Help Needed!! Planning on moving to Cancun!

Last activity 03 November 2012 by ViktoriaUK

ViktoriaUK

Hi everyone!

I am looking for imformation on living and finding a job in Cancun. Any input will be appreciated!
I am 25, from Slovakia, currently living in London. I am well-travelled and experienced with the positives and negatives of living abroad.
Im planning on moving to Cancun next April...till than I should be able to collect enough information about life in there and also should have some money saved up to move down there.
So my questions are:
Is it possible for foreigners to find a job in Cancun? I have a basic knowledge in Spanish and fluent in English. Mainly will be looking for a job as a waitress/bartender... I have years of experience...I would also be open to work as a nanny, in which I also have lots of experience. Is it logical for me to book a ticket there and have accomodation arranged and just look for a job?... I am willing to work legally or if neccessary illegally.
Also is the money earned by waitressing enough for a person to rent and apartment and afford basic stuffs?
I am in huge need of life change and planning on going there for 6 months and if needed work my butt off but also be able to enjoy the sunshine and club scenery there.
Thank you very much for any information in advance!
Have a great day!

Armand

Hi ViktoriaUK!

Welcome to Expat.com!

Armand

ViktoriaUK

Hi Armand!

Thanks for the welcome smile.png Is there any way you could help me with my question? Much appreciated! Take care!

Armand

First of all i would tell you to avoid working illegally obviously.
Have you tried browsing the Cancun jobs section?
It might help!

Good luck
Armand

expatcraig

hi Viktoria,

To answer your question yes it is possible for a foreigner to get a job here.   The immigration laws are changing soon so you want to look into that, but the way it works right now is that when you fly here from the UK your ticket will come with a tourist visa that will last you 6 months.   

When you get a job, either your perspective employer can sponsor you and assist you in getting or more long term visa which they usually refer to as a FM3 but they are going to call it something different in the near future.  Basically gives you permission to live and to work here.  You need to show them that you money in the bank and a way to support yourself.   i think it is 1200 dollars or 6 or 700 pounds but I am not sure.  You can get that info online.

here is a website I just stumbled on to get you some of the basic info. bajaquest.com/faq/fm2_fm3.htm

Rent here is pretty cheap so you should be able to support yourself by waitressing, bartending or if you can sell maybe check out the time share resorts as well.

Craig

ViktoriaUK

Hi Craig!

Thank you for the valuable info and for the word of encouragement! Hopefully see you soon in Cancun smile.png Take care!!!

Articles to help you in your expat project in Cancun

• Working in Cancun
    Working in Cancun

Cancun and surrounding areas are popular destinations for both tourists and expatriates alike. Cancun is the ...

• Working in Mexico
    Working in Mexico

Moving to a foreign country not only involves adapting to a different culture but to a whole new lifestyle. It ...

• Starting a business in Mexico
    Starting a business in Mexico

Setting up a business in Mexico is no simple task. It involves a lot of paperwork and bureaucracy, which means ...

• Working in Mexico as a digital nomad
    Working in Mexico as a digital nomad

Mexico, located between the United States of America, Guatemala, and Belize, has the reputation of being a ...

• Accommodation in Cancun
    Accommodation in Cancun

Like in other parts of Mexico, the best way to find accommodation in Cancun is by searching for one while ...

• Study in Mexico
    Study in Mexico

If you're planning to move to Mexico with your family or choose to study there, here is all you need to know ...

• Working in San Miguel de Allende
    Working in San Miguel de Allende

Located in the center of Mexico, San Miguel de Allende is a small city with a rich artistic, cultural, and ...

• Accommodation in San Miguel de Allende
    Accommodation in San Miguel de Allende

San Miguel de Allende attracts thousands of tourists, expatriates, professionals, retired senior citizens, ...

All of Cancun's guide articles