Shipping into Kenya

Hi all,

I was hoping to get in contact with anyone that might have information on the best way of shipping second hand goods (specifically shoes) into Kenya, for distribution to remote and isolated villages by my colleague over there.

In short, my friend travels to various villages, and works with those communities to train them in various sports such as running, given he is a former running coach.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated - please send me a message if you can offer any assistance.

Thanks heaps,

Justin

Hello Justin.

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

Hope you'll get some suggestions soon.

Thank you,
Aurélie

[Moderated: No free ad on the forum please]

I am inquiring as to the downside of shipping a car to Mombasa ? how difficult or expensive can it get ?

Hi Justin,

Firstly, I would be quite concerned that someone is intending to distribute second hand sports footwear, with the intention of using them in conjunction with running training.  This is because the shoes (being used) will have lost some of the properties that they had when new, which could increase the risk of injury.  As public medical favilities are limited, how would this be dealt with?Secondly, I would question whether Kenyans need any running training. 

To answer your question, You would probably use a container, via sea freight as this is the cheapest way of moving a lot of goods.  You need to have a clearing agent in Mombasa, which your shipping agent at home might be able to arrange.  Duty will be payable, which usually amounts to 75% of the goods value.  This can make it uneconomic to import goods for charity.

To answer the query about shipping a vehicle:  The cheapest method is via roll on roll off shipping.  The cost depends on the size of the vehicle and where it is being shipped from.  The alternative is to  use a container.  The last vehicle I shipped (at the end of 2009) cost £2000 for a 40 foot container (the car went with some other stuff).  A 20 foot container is cheaper.  The main cost is the duty payable in Mombasa, which is 75% of the vehicles value.  The value is determined by customs officials, using a car valuation guide.  Cars should be under 8 years old and preferable right hand drive.  You also need a clearing agent in Mombasa.

the  car IM test driving here is 10 years old and left hand  but in very good condition .maybe I need to rethink  this  .. possibly a trade with someone there  for a couple weeks here at my place ,{ I have heron guest house on Quadra island}
for a car ,, I really want to  Safari a bit on our own,, not guided- or possibly buy a good second hand car . I will keep looking .If you hear of anything  please let me know . Thank you Justin , Is it still rainy season there ? I hear there has been a lot of flooding ...