Menu
Expat.com

Hostess Gift

Last activity 28 March 2013 by VungTauDon

TheRedDeluge

Hello folks,

I was just invited to a fellow colleague's home for dinner on Sunday. I was curious, what are typical/traditional hostess gifts to bring them to thank them for their hospitality?

I was thinking of bringing fruit, but I also brought some items from the U.S (San Francisco oven mitts, shot glasses, playing cards...) I was thinking that maybe the cards and shot glasses might not be appropriate to give.

What do you think?

freshair

They'd all be great gifts.
People love everything and all things that have US/California/(any geographical name) on them. If the shot glasses and cards fall in this category, you're good to go. Can always specify that they're souvenirs.

LeHongVu

Anything will do!
Here in Vietnam,especially in HCMC, we don't emphasize on the hostess gift too much.
As ngohly mentioned above, all those gifts will fall into sourvenirs category. We do appreciate the act of giving, not only the gift itself.

VungTauDon

If it is a person whom you might have future dining engagements with then I would go with the fruit or a bottle of wine ( wine, either grape or rice, is almost always a welcome gift)
If it is just a one off thing then maybe the souvenir stuff would be better.

Articles to help you in your expat project in Vietnam

• Dating In Vietnam
    Dating In Vietnam

If you're considering moving to Hanoi, or Ho Chi Minh City, the dating scene may be of interest to you. ...

• Making phone calls in Vietnam
    Making phone calls in Vietnam

The telecommunications sector in Vietnam has flourished throughout the past two decades. Like many foreigners, ...

• Moving to Vietnam with your pet
    Moving to Vietnam with your pet

If you are planning to move to Vietnam with a pet, there are a number of formalities that have to be completed ...

• Getting married in Vietnam
    Getting married in Vietnam

Have you met that perfect someone who you want to spend the rest of your life with? Luckily, getting married in ...

• Driving in Vietnam
    Driving in Vietnam

Vietnam is known for four categories of lush and diverse landscapes, and one of the easiest ways to see firsthand ...

• The most popular neighbourhoods in Hanoi
    The most popular neighbourhoods in Hanoi

Formerly known as Thang Long, Vietnam's present capital city was renamed Hanoi in 1831. This enchanting, ...

• Sports activities in Hanoi
    Sports activities in Hanoi

We know there's a lot of attention on the drinking culture in Hanoi, but what about the options for a healthy ...

• Internet in Vietnam
    Internet in Vietnam

Vietnam is currently ranked 39th internationally for internet connection and has an average download speed of ...

All of Vietnam's guide articles