Menu
Expat.com

Question: Gardening in Abu Dhabi

Last activity 03 April 2013 by Hamad.UAE

Nyssa Shay

Hello fellow expats. I am from the US and consider myself a pretty experienced gardener. Problem is the soil Ph, type, and humidity here are much different then where I am from (North East US). My begonias are all dying...and they are normally very easy to maintain (hardy plants). I looked up some things and it said it may be a fungus or bacteria and to wipe the wilted leaves with rubbing alcohol....pluck affected leaves ASAP...etc... none of that is working. Half the plants are thriving and the other half are dying. None of them are in full sun all day (because they don't like that) but they do get an adequate amount a few hours per day. I let the top soil dry before the next watering...because they don't like to be soggy (attracts bacteria), which amounts to once or twice a day. Is this NOT the correct way here?

Normally I would not try anything that was not native to the area for my first attempt, but ...well...it's the desert....there is not much here that is! lol  I can say that my desert rose plants are flourishing smile.png Any help would be greatly appreciated. I love to garden and just need to learn the area *)

Hamad.UAE

You can call ACE Hardware and ask them, they might help

Articles to help you in your expat project in Abu Dhabi

• Accommodation in Abu Dhabi
    Accommodation in Abu Dhabi

Accommodation is your next step after securing a visa to fully settle into your new life as an expat in Abu Dhabi. ...

• Working in Abu Dhabi
    Working in Abu Dhabi

Abu Dhabi has joined its neighbor emirate of Dubai in being a hotspot for tourists and expats moving for work ...

• Buying property in Abu Dhabi
    Buying property in Abu Dhabi

The United Arab Emirates has 9.06 million expats, and most of them spend about 30 to 50 years in the country ...

• Discovering Abu Dhabi
    Discovering Abu Dhabi

Abu Dhabi, the capital of the United Arab Emirates, is a popular destination among those who want to live and work ...

• Study in Abu Dhabi
    Study in Abu Dhabi

Abu Dhabi is not only an excellent place to live and work, but it also offers world-class education. There are ...

• How to develop your social circle in Abu Dhabi
    How to develop your social circle in Abu Dhabi

Expats in Abu Dhabi can establish a social network through various ways, such as joining expat groups online and ...

• The work culture in Abu Dhabi
    The work culture in Abu Dhabi

Abu Dhabi is an international city, and in most workplaces, you will interact and work with people of different ...

• Getting around Abu Dhabi
    Getting around Abu Dhabi

Abu Dhabi is a relatively small city compared to Dubai and getting around is very convenient and easy. If you want ...

All of Abu Dhabi's guide articles