What areas of Mauritius flood?

Hi. I lived in Mauritius almost three years ago and we are moving back in the next few months. We used to live in Trou au Biches and never had a problem with flooding at all in 2009/2010. My children attended Clavis and were excited to see their friends again. My problem is now that I was terrified at the thought of my children trapped on a bus near Port Louis and me being in Trou au Biches unable to get to them. So, now I am wondering if we should change to schools in the north or move somewhere in the south.

Can someone please tell me how the flooding is in the following areas?:
1)North Grand Baie area
2)Ebene
3)Tamarin
4)Flic en Flac
5)or Areas that do not flood and there is no danger of being trapped

I really appreciate the time that anyone can take to answer my questions.
Thank you in advance. Many prayers and well wishes to Expats and Mauritians in this time of catastrophe.

Flooding was mainly Port Louis - we all experienced heavy rain but nothing like Port Louis - if you google Mauritius flooding you will see the areas affected.

Someone told me today they heard in the news that before the Caudan was built there were huge flood drains, but that they have been either filled in or removed and that is what caused the problem, if the old big drains had remained the water would have drained away - how true this is I don't know, I am sure there must have been other factors too.

No one ever knows where areas will flood, which areas cyclones will effect until it actually happens.

I think asking which areas to avoid is like asking how long is a piece of string ;)

Good luck :)

Thank you, Rosie. I did check on Youtube and saw several Mauritius flood videos and noticed that the floods happen every two years or so. But now with this crazy global weather who knows! I know that there are more rainy days in the forcast for Mauritius and wish you all blessings of safety.

Thank you again,

Misty

Mistyb wrote:

Thank you, Rosie. I did check on Youtube and saw several Mauritius flood videos and noticed that the floods happen every two years or so. But now with this crazy global weather who knows! I know that there are more rainy days in the forcast for Mauritius and wish you all blessings of safety.

Thank you again,

Misty

Maybe look at the history of the floods, that will tell/show you the areas that were flooded.

My uncle who lives in Moka said that rocks also fell on roads? Also heard the flood just affected Port Louis.

Flooding was mostly in and around Port Louis. However, there is no need to worry about heavy rainfall as we are entering winter in a few weeks and rains are pretty much rare during those periods.