Menu
Expat.com

Looking to learn Vietnamese

Last activity 09 May 2014 by Priscilla

yakata

i think vietnamese people study english difficultly, but the foreigner study vietnamese more difficult ... good luck to you
i have a good website: everydayviet.com - study english

missmae

Friend of mine learnt Vietnamese by watching English Movies with VN subtitles. Somehow it works:)

ChrisFox
missmae wrote:

Friend of mine learnt Vietnamese by watching English Movies with VN subtitles. Somehow it works

I couldn't learn a language that way, but I sure pick up a lot of words that way.  Just watching Prometheus in Saigon I picked out a half dozen phrases that are usually spoken too fast to break down.  One movie, seriously pivotal.

However I couldn't pick up many if I didn't already read the language so methinks your friend is stretching things a tad.

If I had to learn by sound alone, it wouldn't stick.  I forget words people tell me, literally, in seconds.

mayflower26589
jakejas wrote:

It is probably better to get a real teacher who knows what they are doing and how to teach. I had some nice guys in my apartment complex offer to help me learn Vietnamese. This was our normal routine: meet, eat, drink, and sing karaoke. It was tons of fun, but the only Vietnamese I learned was the song con gai noi ga la khong (When a woman says yes, it means no). As you can see, they didn't teach me any spelling or anything useful I can use to impress my in-laws.

Agree with you. it's better find a class. You can study and practice with other in class teacher's lession you learn. But you must go out to practice the lession in reality. It's the great way to learn a language. BTW, The song's name is "Con gái nói có là không" (It's a good song" smile.png)

mayflower26589
missmae wrote:

Friend of mine learnt Vietnamese by watching English Movies with VN subtitles. Somehow it works:)

It does not work to me as I practice English smile.png . It's one of studying method. But it depends. Someone prefer listen to music and learn lyrics. Some read manga/comic book...

hongngoc313

Hi John,

This is a very experience Vietnamese language teacher. I have taught Vietnamese for foreigner for quite some years in Singapore at the language center as well as private. Guarantee that you can speak out confidently with 3 MONTHS ONLY. Please kindly contact me via this number for more detail 01653045028 (Katy)

Warm Regards,
Katy

emmy.vn

Lol. Seems like "Learning Vietnamese" always be a very attracted topic on Expat-blog. smile.png

ali2006

Hi,
The big challege for foreigners who learn vietnamese is pronunciation. So if you practise and do good job of pronunciation with the first 50 vietnamese words. You will find it so easy for the rest. After these 50 vietnamese words, next 2 months is enough for you to perfect your vietnamese by yourselve.
Good luck,
p/s: drop me a line if you are interested in

ali2006

Mình đánh giá cao tinh thần học tập của một số bạn. Nhưng mình cũng thấy buồn cho các bạn đó vì cách nói chuyện như van xin, nài nỉ để được kết bạn với người ngoại quốc.
" Ế, nhưng vấn phải giữ thế" cool.png

mayflower26589
ali2006 wrote:

Mình đánh giá cao tinh thần học tập của một số bạn. Nhưng mình cũng thấy buồn cho các bạn đó vì cách nói chuyện như van xin, nài nỉ để được kết bạn với người ngoại quốc.
" Ế, nhưng vấn phải giữ thế" cool.png

Hi, Pls write in Vietnamese so foreigner can understand and give comment what they really think about this. Thanks a lot & Have a nice day.

ali2006

oh, I am sorry.
Thanks for your remind

elgris

Hey guys!

Name's Ivan, just moved to HCMC and I would really like to learn basic Vietnamese. Sometimes it's very difficult to communicate to people on the streets with gestures smile.png
So, can someone help me? I can teach Russian or English in exchange. Although, I'm not native English speaker, but I can teach something smile.png.

Please contact me in PM if you have any suggestions.

Thanks!

Julian09

VLS language school on Dien Tien Hoang, Dist 1 has free pronunciation classes twice a month on Wednesdays. Check their website and give them a call http://vlstudies.com/.  I have been taking classes there with two other people.  They have beginner classes (small) for 20 or 40 hours, depending on what you want to do. I think they might be a little more expensive than other places,but the teachers I've had have been very good.  The pronunciation class is free anyway. It lasts about one hour and is helpful no matter what.  You can probably find people who are willing to trade language lessons, but the quality of what you get definitely varies with the individual. VLS has good teachers.  Good luck!

Thien Ngan

ok. we can exchange

pierrenord

Hi John!

I am also new here and want to learn Vietnamese. Did you find out any good places to learn?

Merci Pierre

TuongVan

find a native speaker who want to learn or improve his/her English skill and your problem will be solved. win win i guess ^^

Thien Ngan

a Vietnamese tutor maybe a good idea

Thien Ngan

you can find others who are willing to teach you how to pronounce Vietnamese. I think you should ask them focus on the pronunciation. Hope you can have good time of studying Vietnamese.

Huong Truong

[Moderated: please post in the Language classes in Ho Chi Minh City section pls ]

Julian09

Since February I've taken classes from VLS in District 1.  Took the beginning course for 40 hours and then have started on the second one. We have had 3 students in our classes. Very small with lots of personal attention and class adjustment to our particular needs. We have had Thuy Anh for our main instructor. Can't recommend her highly enough. Well-organized, prepared, friendly, kind, willing to discuss and share various aspects of Vietnamese life. We have learned so much from her. VLS also produces its own basic study materials which are helpful. Being out in the community and talking with friends or really anyone is essential to truly learn any language. But, having a good foundation which you can definitely get at VLS is a great  beginning. They do have a free class for pronunciation every other Wednesday in the afternoon in Dist. 1. You can get a feel for the place when you attend the class anyway. I would also say to make sure your needs are known when you sign up for any class. If you need a certificate that proves you completed something, and you need to get it done within a certain time period, then let them know. On the other hand, as in my (and my classmates) case, We didn't care about a certificate or completing anything within a certain amount of time, for example, the beginning book within 40 hours. We all wanted to make sure we actually learned and could use the material before moving on. After expressing our desires, Thuy Anh adjusted what she was doing to meet our needs, and it has been great.

Kimmart

Hi John,
I've been teaching vietnamese for foreigners for ages.My lessons are practical so you can definetly use them in reality. So proud to say that my students are confident to use their vietnamese in everyday life. Not here for advertising, just for helping u find a reliable tutor smile.png
cheers
kim

Kimmart

Bonjour Pierre,
did u find any good places for learning vietnameses? If not, why dont u try a friendly and reliable tutor like me?
je parle francais un peu smile.png i understand wat is difficult when learning languages n willing to help u find out ways to study better smile.png
Bonne nuit a toi

littlecupid.85

Hi Elgris,

Are you still looking for learning VNese? A few friends of mine have interest in exchanging VN-English study. Drop me a line if you find this useful smile.png.

Thanks,
Minh.

Narnguyen

Hi

My name is Tien. I am Vietnamese and live in Ho Chi Minh City.
I used to teach 3 students in twelve months, an English,an  American and a Korean as a tutor.
I have experience in teaching basic Vietnamese from basic (never learned )  to advanced ( can read newspaper, watch TV....)
I have my own teaching methods that can help you learn and use Vietnamese  better  by diversified and interesting lectures,
One period last about 2 hours, distribute lession and teaching as required( Pronunciation,  Reading, Listening, Writing, Communication ....)
If you need for more information, please contact me by email : narcissus234@gmail.com and we can discuss about this clearly.

Priscilla

Hi Everybody,

I will advise those who are looking to learn vietnamese and those giving vietnamese language courses to post in the appropriate section which is Language classes in Ho Chi Minh City section please.

Thank you all,

Priscilla  cheers.png

(Topic closed )

Closed

Articles to help you in your expat project in Ho Chi Minh City

All of Ho Chi Minh City's guide articles