Naysaying...?

I'm not even sure how you write naysaying... but since I've got to Saudi a month ago I've been told by many people how terrible it is as a country and how there's nothing to do here etc. especially for singles.. my boss goes on about it at length... just wanted to say I've been here for a month and have moved into an aprtment not in a compound (I'm an expat) but still have managed to meet a few people and I don't feel too lonely... it's also kinda cool that because your predictable forms of entertainment don't exist here you have to make your own... I've started reading again, drawing, and spending time on me... just thought I'd post this so anyone about to travel doesn't feel like they're coming to a hellhole. I actually really like it (so far) - just ashame it's not a pedestrian friendly city. J

fully agree. the only thing that cud have been more kinder to us all is if it had been a pedestrian friendly place which is not the case, sadly. yet, as you rightly say theres plenty of things to do if you look for them.

just ashame it's not a pedestrian friendly city. J

You're so right.  Especially difficult for single women because we can't walk around and get a 'feel' for our neighborhoods outside the compounds.

I agree with everything you've said--especially about reading and spending time on 'me.'   Have only been in Saudi for 7 months but never felt depressed or lonely--it's all about one's attitude (ie. life here is what you make it).

I'm in the States now but I'll be back in Riyadh on Thursday (March 25) and I'll have to catch up with the forum (which has been incredibly active in the last 2 weeks--YAY!).

When I moved from the US to Sweden I immediately joined the American Women's Group.  I soon found that much of the discussion was about everything in Sweden that wasn't like the US..crying at length about not being able to get zip-lock bags, etc.  I subsequently quit attending...There are always people that don't want to leave home and don't understand why other places cant be home and are unable to appreciate new places for what they have to offer instead of what they are missing...it is too bad....attitude is what makes or breaks the experience.  I just hope that I can remember that when I move from Sweden to Riyadh in a few weeks.

make the best of what you find here. Its not as bad as some people like to grumble about all the time. Any place is good as long as you make up your mind to live in it with a positive outlook.

musicman wrote:

make the best of what you find here. Its not as bad as some people like to grumble about all the time. Any place is good as long as you make up your mind to live in it with a positive outlook.

I am entirely agree with you.instead on moaning on negative aspects we should always squeeze out the best from it

yep, theres always a silver lining, even in Zimbabwe or Burma, I am sure?