Menu
Expat.com

NEW COMER IN SINGAPORE

Last activity 24 November 2013 by hubbennrelle

littlepenguin88

Hi everyone, I'm Anh, I'm going to Sing for working. This land is totally new for me, so I really appreciate if there's anyone who could advise me regarding of some following information so that I can prepare well for this trip.

In avarage, how much it costs for living in a month?

A prestigious job site that I could look for a job (I intend to look for a second job)?

and the address of a room for rent (w/ a acceptable price) near The Madarin Oriental Hotel?

Thank you very much
Anh

Tweety07

Hi, I'm new here... I heard a lot from this site & learn a lot if you atleast join at this forum. I'm from philippines, presently looking for work/job at Singapore, I am University graduate, I had 15 yrs. working experience at Office services, know all the uses of office equipment and MS Office Appilication. I am 43 yrs old.  Im willing to relocate to Singapore given a chance. Hope to find a job. Any one, could tell if my age will not be an iisue?

beppi

littlepenguin88:
You can find a lot of information about your questions on this forum and elsewhere on the Internet. Try this site's search function and/or Google!
Short answer:
- Very basic minimum living expenses would be S$20-25/day. This exclused rent (see next point) and obviously any luxuries (restaurant food, phone calls or travel home, etc.) will add to that.
- Sublet rooms in shared flats cost around S$800-1200/month. The further away from the city centre (where Mandarin Oriental is), the cheaper it will be.
- Your work visa allows you to work only at the employer who applied for it. You are not allowed to have a second job. The penalties are so stiff that I can only advise you to NOT try this!

littlepenguin88

hi beppi, thank you very much for your information

jiwgo

Hello everyone, I am going to Singapore for exchange program in NUS this coming fall semester. I wonder what should I bring to Singapore? For now I only know that the adapter would be helpful as in Singapore uses 3-hole socket !

beppi

Adapters are available cheaply, as is almost anything else you might want.
You don't need to bring anything but an open mind, a change of clothes and enough money to buy everything else.

jsoh

Well, you might want to bring chewing gum to Singapore if you're a fan of it. Since they don't sell it here (it's against the law to sell gum)..... Just a piece of advice.....

beppi

It is indeed allowed to bring small amounts (not more than a few packets) for personal consumption - but you are not allowed to sell it or give it to others!

Sploke77

Tweety07: if you have not got a job lined up, please do not try , at your age, unless you have connections, you could be sorely disappointed. Moreover, pinoys are not really welcome presently..

vincent ong

Hi I from Singapore currently in HCM city , when r u going to Singapore? If u need any help and I in Singapore I will surely give u a helping hand . All the best for your trip.

littlepenguin88

hi, thks a lot for ur kindness Vincent. But i'm not leaving HCMC yet smile.png, when will u back to SG?

vincent ong

Will be going back around mid month of aug, when r u going to sg?

Cobragold

You can buy chewing gum from any pharmacy in Singapore. They only need a identity card or passport to sell to you. I am a Singaporean and would be willing to help you if you need it. Since you can buy it locally no need to bring it in.

hubbennrelle
littlepenguin88 wrote:

Hi everyone, I'm Anh, I'm going to Sing for working. This land is totally new for me, so I really appreciate if there's anyone who could advise me regarding of some following information so that I can prepare well for this trip.

In avarage, how much it costs for living in a month?

A prestigious job site that I could look for a job (I intend to look for a second job)?

and the address of a room for rent (w/ a acceptable price) near The Madarin Oriental Hotel?

Thank you very much
Anh

Hi Anh, hope to meet u here. . .just pm and maybe we could chat a bit bout SG...for a middle class person maybe a 1K-2K is enough here...

regards! smile.png

heywire

Good day,

I would like to ask if anybody knows about the policy in Singapore about  foreign worker who has PTB scar, Is he permmitted to work in Singapore?

If he pass all the test which supports that it is not active, is he be permitted to work in Singapore?

Please help since my cousin had this problem and He wants to be sure before resigning

Thank you,

Jackred

hubbennrelle
heywire wrote:

Good day,

I would like to ask if anybody knows about the policy in Singapore about  foreign worker who has PTB scar, Is he permmitted to work in Singapore?

If he pass all the test which supports that it is not active, is he be permitted to work in Singapore?

Please help since my cousin had this problem and He wants to be sure before resigning

Thank you,

Jackred

as long as he pass the medical exam here! there's no problem!

Articles to help you in your expat project in Singapore

• Driving in Singapore
    Driving in Singapore

Singapore has an efficient public transportation system coupled with excellent taxi services, with phone apps ...

• Dating in Singapore
    Dating in Singapore

Moving to Singapore has been fun since you've been exploring a new country and culture. However, if you ...

• Internships in Singapore
    Internships in Singapore

Singapore is home to many universities of international repute, as well as companies from a diverse range of ...

• Marriage in Singapore
    Marriage in Singapore

Singapore allows both foreigners or a foreigner and a local national to marry in the country. The procedures and ...

• Using phones in Singapore
    Using phones in Singapore

As in many developed countries, mobile phones have taken over the landline network in Singapore. Whether ...

• Finding a job in Singapore
    Finding a job in Singapore

Singapore has a well-developed job market with numerous outlets providing information on employment opportunities, ...

• Expat deaths in Singapore
    Expat deaths in Singapore

It's hard to face, but there comes a time when we must end our time on Earth. While we can't predict when ...

• Banking in Singapore
    Banking in Singapore

Singapore offers a wide range of personal banking services and has a complete offering of international banking ...

All of Singapore's guide articles