Menu
Expat.com

SPEAKING ENGLISH EVERY DAY IS BETTER FOR THE LEARNER

Last activity 24 July 2013 by MIA2013

huynh_heo

i hope that my speaking skill is improved soon. i make every effort to speak English well. i think that i have no good condition for practicing. i do want us to get together for this goal.
i am glad to be friends with you!!!!

tinhtran

Hi,huynh.
I'm Tinh.me too.Although I have learnt English for quite a long time,I still can't speak E fluently.I'm always afraid of speaking front of many people.And whenever I say, It takes me a lot of time to find words. I very disappoint with my speaking skill.Maybe because I rarely speak to others in E.I hope we'll be good friends.

huynh_heo

hi Tinh,
yep! i am like you. i think that we will be good at English if we try our best to practice English everyday. Nowadays, all skills is important, so we should learn each skill over time and make friends for practicing speaking that we can get more vocabularies, confidence.etc. Furthermore, as for me, grammar is not less important. we have good vocabulary, but we are poor at English structure and grammar, we will have many trouble in making sentences for speaking or writing. For instance, i give you 10 words enough to say a sentence or make a statement, but you don't know how to do that.
i am willing to be your friend ^^

Wild_1

When it comes to learning English, you must speak up.  Whether that is to other English speakers or just among your peers, but you must speak.  Speaking will enable you to familiarize yourselves with English and allow others to correct your mispronunciations. 

Many of you seem to think that waiting until your English is "better," before you sound off, is more appropriate.  You can never be so wrong:  your English will not get any "better," unless you practice it out loud.

By the way, please practice in proper English.  I have seen so many, particularly young, Vietnamese come up to me and sounded off in all these slangs or urban terms, some even tried Ebonics.  Guys, they are not cool; they are not how English is commonly spoken.  You definitely do not want to mention them in your job interviews or at your corporate board meetings.

Once you have your groups formed and the right kind of English spoken, please encourage the more timid and shy among you to speak up, especially the females.  Don't make them your punching bags.

Best,
Howie

kiku_hana

Agree with Wild_1, try to learn standard English first before using slang. It will help you know how to use English properly.

Whereabouts88

I agree fully. English, unlike Vietnamese is not so tonal. Even if you sound wrongly, one can guess the words you are saying and it will not have a different meaning altogether. It may just sound funny. BUT try to sound a little bit OFF in Tieng Viet or forget to emphasise the tone and witness the blank look of your audience. It's pure disaster!! And the grammar is a real challenge too.

MIA2013

Howie is correct!

hoang90

There are a lot of E club out there. You should search on the Internet and join one. My friend and i really make fast progress since we join the E clubs. Have a nice day ! wink.png

Anatta
Wild_1 wrote:

By the way, please practice in proper English.  ....

On that topic, please write in proper English as well.
All the "where r u?" are not cool in written form even for native English speakers in forums like these, let alone for those whose English is ridden with errors.

Wild_1

Hey, thanks for the kind words, guys.  thanks.gif

Anatta, you are just a picky old man, aren't you?  dumbom.gif

But, Anatta is right, though.  You definite don't want to write like that on your CVs or Company Profiles.  So, why do it?

Also, watching and listening to the news help as well.  Of course, I am talking about the major foreign networks, not those Dog and Pony shows.  Those guys, even down to the field reporters, are hand-picked for their ability to speak clearly and concisely.

Linhnauy

Hi Huynh and Tinh,

If you want to speak E fluently.  Pls contact me, we will have a class in Dong Xoai, Tan Binh at the beginning of August.  We will study with a native teacher for speaking and listening and a VNese one for writing and listening.

I am sure that you will be confident to speak with foreigners in a short time.

Pls contact me at ms.lynn.easyenglish for more information.

Dee Nguyen

Dear Huynh,
If you feel shy when you talk to the others, you still can practise yourself. when you are watching movie, you can repeat out loud or sing a song you love. that is a great way to pronounce and speak English. try to avoid slang. i usualy sing out loud (remember, you should close the door roll.png). I am not good in English, too. i think it has a lot of good guys out there can help you, but you can improve anything if you dont believe in yourself. You cant invite someone goes out for coffee and listen only, right.
Try your best and practise at home first.
Regards
Duong

Jayhawk

English is a language of confidence. To be successful in English you have to be confident. Speak up and DON"T be afraid to make mistakes.

A native English teacher will know English is not your 1st language and is not going to get mad, laugh, or tease you for saying something incorrectly. Quite the opposite. They will encourage you and help you. Look them in the eye, speak up, and talk the best of your ability.

If anyone is intersted, sometimes I have available short free times I can meet and speak with you. I usually just hang out at the coffee shop in my free time, so it is a perfect time to come chat, and meet a new friend. Anyway, just send me a message if interested.

huynhminhthien1902

your english is so excellent ,can i meet u or chat with on facebook.I think you could have stayed in enlish speaking countries for a certain years. gladfully, if i were your friend.

MIA2013

Thank you, I have been living in the U.S. all my life. Right now I have been studying some Vietnamese so I can be prepared for my next visit next year.

Articles to help you in your expat project in Ho Chi Minh City

All of Ho Chi Minh City's guide articles