Menu
Expat.com

Expats! What are your jobs?

Last activity 07 October 2015 by eodmatt

MarkinNam

Mine is a bit of a combination, I will be relying on investment  here in Aus so that I can teach voluntarily in less privileged areas, the visit to the orphans and speaking with students in HCMc had an effect so while living the good life I can do some good

breitho

respect for you mr. Mark Stutley.  gloria.png

eodmatt

I am an Explosive Ordnance Disposal engineer. I live in Saigon because I have a Vietnamese wife, but am rarely able to work in Vietnam, because the Vn army sees clearance work as "low hanging fruit" that they can charge for and they will not allow any form of QC on their work either. Luckily there is enough work for me in other countries and in the last couple of years I have worked in Thailand, Solomon Islands, Iran, Oman.

I have worked as a Client Representative for a couple of oil companies in Vietnam though, doing seismic survey over the east and west Mekong Delta. For both projects I was essentially the project manager for the clearance, but my job title was "customer satisfaction officer", so as not to be seen to be in any way managing or quality controlling the clearance - which is exactly what I was doing. Whilst working in the Delta I traveled every road in the eastern side and every river of the western side of the Delta. It was fascinating.

khanh44

Ah revisiting what I wrote last year when I was in Canada. I've been in Vietnam since January and still sticking to my plans similar to MickeyMike.

Staying in Vietnam until her application is approved or not. If not willing to stay in Vietnam until we can find other avenues for her to come to Canada.

Have not looked for work since coming here. She keeps track of our spendings writing it down daily. We spend about $10 mil/mth.

eodmatt
khanh44 wrote:

Ah revisiting what I wrote last year when I was in Canada. I've been in Vietnam since January and still sticking to my plans similar to MickeyMike.

Staying in Vietnam until her application is approved or not. If not willing to stay in Vietnam until we can find other avenues for her to come to Canada.

Have not looked for work since coming here. She keeps track of our spendings writing it down daily. We spend about $10 mil/mth.

Interesting monthly spend that. We bought an apartment in a new building in D8, 6 years ago, but it wasn't finished until late last year because the construction company went bankrupt (more than once). And instead of walking into a completely new apartment, with all mod cons, we walked into an empty concrete shell and had to pay to have water, wiring, floors, ceilings, sinks, toilets (there's one en-suite and one gp shower/bog). It was all a bit of a nightmare. Having said that, what we have now is a small but very comfortable little apartment in a brand new modern block.

We have a couple of bits of land around Vietnam, but Her Indoors wants to build a house in Saigon. Land prices are astronomical though. I'd prefer to build a bungalow rather than the usual shoe box type house one sees so many of - or the villas which look nice but many of the ones I have been to are impractical.

Anyway, I need to be within reach of the airport so that I can bug out and do jobs abroad, so next year we'll be seriously looking for a bit of land on which to build.

But back to finances. Our electric bill is around 400KD a month - we have fans, aircon, microwave and washing machine, TV an electric shower in each bathroom - and three peeps living here. All of the lighting is latest generation LED which gives us significant savings over incandescent bulbs and fluorescent lights. I think the largest wattage single light we have is 9 watts, which gives a surprising amount of light.

Water is a couple of hundred thou D a month and the water quality is sierra hotel India tango. However, if you are Vietnamese and you are registered with the CA at your residence, you can apply for a discount off your water bill. Naturally enough the discount doesn't apply to foreigners.

We pay 6 months in advance for cable tv get 2 months free for around 200KD/month, fibre optic internet is about 180KD/month.

A 12 Kg bottle of gas for cooking costs about 300KD for a 12 kg bottle and lasts around 6/7 months.

So, yeah 10 MD a month is very doable.

A bottle of malt whisky knocks a hole in the budget though!

konacoast

declare your worldwide income?   HUH?   Are you crazy?   Why would you do that?   You think  expat teachers declare the money back to their home country.

VungTauDon

If you are paying taxes to Vietnam out of your salary you can claim that as a tax credit on your US taxes. You can't do that if you don't report your income.

dsaikrishna

I am a Software Engineer in an automotive company

eodmatt

I'm an EOD Engineer (bomb disposal) but I'm not allowed by law to work in Vietnam  because external Quality Management and Quality Control are illegal here. So I work in the rest of the world. I have worked on a couple of projects in Vietnam, as a QM/QC consultant, but my job title was Customer Satisfaction Officer  lol.png

There are a couple of demining NGO's working in Vietnam and I have worked as short term project manager for one of them - and actually turned down the job of country director, because the salary was rather low.

Articles to help you in your expat project in Saigon

• Getting married in Vietnam
    Getting married in Vietnam

Have you met that perfect someone who you want to spend the rest of your life with? Luckily, getting married in ...

• Working in Vietnam
    Working in Vietnam

Anyone thinking about working in Vietnam is in for a treat. Compared to many Western countries, Vietnam's ...

• Setting up a business in Vietnam
    Setting up a business in Vietnam

Foreign entrepreneurs from across the globe have been landing across Asia for decades. In August, Harvard ranked ...

• The healthcare system in Vietnam
    The healthcare system in Vietnam

Moving to Vietnam is going to present you with an abundance of challenges, from the logistical aspect to customs ...

• Visas for Vietnam
    Visas for Vietnam

If you are only planning on having a short stay in Vietnam, you can apply online for a tourist visa, preferably at ...

• Finding a job in Hanoi
    Finding a job in Hanoi

With Vietnam's new visa regulations, you will need to secure a job before entering the country. Opportunities to ...

• Accommodation in Vietnam
    Accommodation in Vietnam

If you're jetting off to Asia's beloved S-shaped nation, take care of booking the best accommodation ...

• The tax system in Vietnam
    The tax system in Vietnam

Before you move to Vietnam, it is prudent to get up to speed on local tax laws. As with any country, this is ...

All of Saigon's guide articles