Menu
Expat.com

Kindness or walkaway...

Last activity 04 March 2014 by DirtyPierre

nguyen.tien

Dear all,

Dear All,

How are you? Thanks for your attention on this. I feel really really BAD about what I didn't do this early morning at Tan Son Nhat Int' Airport. I went there to pick up my partner. And It was 1.30 a.m in this morning.

I saw people out and out. And sat next to my are guys from Park Hyatt Hotel. Finally, I saw they picked up their guests.

Abt 15 mins later, one guy came out... I guess he comes from USA ( his pronuciation). And he asked for Park Hyatt. None confirmed as they left. The FAKE taxi drivers were talk to him and said Park Hyatt staffs left already without picked him up.

Tax driver trying to tell him that they will drive him to there. But  I know how much that guy will paid for fake taxi. Abt 3 times more than normal. I thought I would tell him stay away from fake taxi. And I didn't do it. I just kept quite as I heard many stories from my friends that fake taxi drivers could use violence if you are trying to "take away" their customers.

I feel really BAD now for my action. I should stand up and helped that guy. I feel I was so useless. I wish I could do differently. I feel shame because I thought only abt myself more than kindness and friendly. I am Vietnamese and grow up in very good culture. I am so sorry. I know it is too late but I am really sorry.

I wrote this to confess about my weakness. I would never let this situation happened again. Do you think it is too late for me to learn this lesson?

I am sorry for my bad English,

Take care,

charmavietnam

Past is past  smile.png
Better try next time!

ancientpathos

No reason to place yourself in danger. It will become a learning experience for him. On my 1st trip here I ended in a fake taxi even after being told he was a real taxi. Now I know where to take metered taxi from.

Owen Kelly

Don't worry about it man, this is how every foreign traveler finds their way in a new country/city..
If none of us had been scammed by a taxi/ tuk tuk drivers on our visits around the world, we would never learn the true cost... and we would never have funny stories.

Also your better not to stick your nose into a fake taxi drivers business.
The amount of Dong that the tourist was losing out on, is tiny compared to bringing the anger/ violence towards you. The tourist was in no danger of harm, just going to lose out on some Dong/dollars

Don't worry about it but thanks for caring enough to post the message.

esdome

You did a very good job by posting their nasty tactics here.

I guess a lot of people will aware of this in the future.

Cheers.

richard hunter

Welcome to V.V.

I do believe

Nguyen.tien,

If you had tried to help this man, he wouldn't have understood and perhaps would have thought you were a problem. In this case the man was not in physical danger so you did exactly the right thing. The airport should have security people to deal with the Taxi nonsense. My first time here I paid 200 thou when I should have paid 100 thou,  I have been scammed a thousand times since at the market, by street venders, xe om drivers and by pretty girls. Unfotunately expats are continual targets and there is no short supply of vendors lacking integrity. Love your empathy, we need more like you.

paulthecat11

its is good for you that you worry, but foreigner must learn the rules  smile.png so he will know better next time.

DirtyPierre

The danger you would have put you self in is far greater than the amount he would've been overcharged and lets face it, if he can afford to stay at that hotel he could afford the increased pricing.
Remember they're criminals in fake taxis and not real taxi drivers so they will resort to all means of violence if you are posing a threat to their illegal activities.

Articles to help you in your expat project in Ho Chi Minh City

All of Ho Chi Minh City's guide articles