What have you found most helpful in preparing to live abroad?

I am moving back to Serbia in a few months and I am asking what you may have found doing or taking with you has been most helpful. I have many ideas... a Kindle being on the top of the list. but any help would be most appreciated!
Thanks,
T

Hey there,

I have not been on a site in ages so I have only now seen this message of yours. YES, definitely bring Kindle..I love mine:) As you have done this move before I am sure you have some ideas of what to expect, but if there is one piece of advice that I can offer it would be this...any and all paperwork you need done for Serbia, citizenship, marriage papers, various kind of certificates, etc., do it on the American soil. Go through either the Serbian Embassy or the Consulate. Bureaucracy here is beyond words..it takes forever to get the simplest thing done. I so wish I knew this before we made the move. Other then that...arm yourself with patience...and lots of it:)
Some of the items we miss from the States (but thankfully friends ship it to us) are oatmeal, peanut butter (the good kind -  Skippy, not the crappy brand I find here) and macaroni and cheese:) Other then that, food wise, the stores is rather well stocked.
OK...hope this helps...see you when you get here in November. Have a safe flight.