Menu
Expat.com

Moving to Beijing this month

Last activity 08 June 2014 by Manlin

LynV

My family and I are moving to Beijing (Palm Springs Apartments) later this month.  What are the big things I need to know, need to do right away, etc?  I'm especially interested in where to get groceries, water, milk, etc and what I need to do to help my two very young children transition. Thanks

Manlin

LynV hi,

not far from Palm Springs are two supermarkets.

Jingkelong is a chain of supermarkets used by most of the locals. It has almost everything you could want apart from imported items. Go out the main gate and turn left and left again and walk about 300m

Stuck onto the side of Palm Springs there is a small parade of shops that might also have a super market in it. I know it has a Costa Coffee because I was there a couple of days ago. You will be walking past this small parade on your way to the Jinkelong.

Jenny Wang is a smaller chain of supermarkets that caters for expat tastes. It has a large range of imported items. The prices for the identical product will be a tad higher at Jenny. Go out the main gate, cross the road, turn left and then right. About 400m

Articles to help you in your expat project in Beijing

• Relocating to China
    Relocating to China

Moving to a foreign country is both exciting and challenging. You will have a lot to learn and a lot to think ...

• Moving with your pet to China
    Moving with your pet to China

When considering a move to China, you may want to bring along more than a few suitcases. If you have pets, having ...

• Accommodation in Beijing
    Accommodation in Beijing

If you are moving to Beijing, one of the first to-dos on your list will be finding a place to live. China's ...

• Finding work in Beijing
    Finding work in Beijing

Beijing is the capital of China, and as the country's major city, it offers a wide range of opportunities for ...

• Study in Beijing
    Study in Beijing

China's capital is not only the second largest city in the country (after Shanghai) but also a leading hub in ...

• The importance of English language in China.
    The importance of English language in China.

Languages are a fascinating subject, particularly when it concerns the amount of speakers. Currently, the English ...

• Must-see places in Beijing
    Must-see places in Beijing

So, now if you’re visiting in one of the national holidays (like I visited during the Tomb Sweeping Days), ...

All of Beijing's guide articles