Menu
Expat.com

Job situation is like in New Zealand at the moment

Last activity 01 October 2014 by Satori3

fmg16

Hi, my name is Fearghal i'm from Armagh in Ireland,and I would like to know what the job situation is like in New Zealand at the moment, i'm a experienced overseas worker having lived and worked for years in Boston and New York and have a lifetimes experience at roofing as well carpentry. In recent years I have worked in the civil service but because of huge cut backs I find myself currently in a job which pays the bills but which I dislike. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Priscilla

Hello Fearghal,

I have created a new thread with your post on the New Zealand forum for more visibility and communication with the other members.

Thanks

Priscilla  cheers.png

stumpy
fmg16 wrote:

Hi, my name is Fearghal i'm from Armagh in Ireland,and I would like to know what the job situation is like in New Zealand at the moment, i'm a experienced overseas worker having lived and worked for years in Boston and New York and have a lifetimes experience at roofing as well carpentry. In recent years I have worked in the civil service but because of huge cut backs I find myself currently in a job which pays the bills but which I dislike. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Try www.immigration.govt.nz for visa information and applications. There is a skills list which the govt is looking for. There is a working holiday visa as well. 

For jobs try www.seek.co.nz

fmg16

Thanks very much

Satori3

You should have no trouble finding work in Christchurch, due to the earthquake. Best place to look is www. trademe.co.nz

Nomaswazi

Hi guys I would like to know what are the rules regarding this and are you allowed to work and study in New Zealand as a foreigner?I would appreciate any response thanks

stumpy
Nomaswazi wrote:

Hi guys I would like to know what are the rules regarding this and are you allowed to work and study in New Zealand as a foreigner?I would appreciate any response thanks

You can get a student visa which allows you to work part time 20 hrs a week.

Satori3

You will need to apply for a student visa which will allow you to work a maximum of 30 hours per week. Best of luck.

Articles to help you in your expat project in New Zealand

• Starting a business in New Zealand
    Starting a business in New Zealand

New Zealand is ranked as one of the best countries in the world to start a business in. Indeed, for several years ...

• Working in New Zealand
    Working in New Zealand

Over the years, New Zealand has become a top destination for foreign professionals looking to boost their careers ...

• Working in Dunedin
    Working in Dunedin

Dunedin is one of New Zealand's most iconic cities, and it is becoming increasingly popular with expatriates ...

• Working in Hamilton
    Working in Hamilton

Located in the Waikato region, just over 100 kilometers from Auckland, Hamilton is a city on the rise. It is the ...

• Working in Auckland
    Working in Auckland

Being New Zealand's biggest city means that Auckland has the most opportunities for employment but also the ...

• Working in Wellington
    Working in Wellington

Wellington is the capital of New Zealand. As well as being the seat of the New Zealand Government, it is also home ...

• Working in Christchurch
    Working in Christchurch

Christchurch, or Chch, as the locals like to say, is one of the major South Island cities in New Zealand. It is ...

• Internships in New Zealand
    Internships in New Zealand

Internships are a popular work experience tool worldwide, but these roles are still relatively new in New Zealand. ...

All of New Zealand's guide articles